[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting at restaurants?

Papa Deuce

My local Buffalo wild Wings manager asked me to hold our draft there. They offer a free draft board, and they give free key chains... and he said something about $100 ( in free food coupons for a later day, I think ).

On the night we draft, he said it just might be the busiest night of the year... September 8th. ( 65 cent wings all night ) plus the fact that he knows he has some drafts already scheduled that night.

I think it would be great fun to hold a draft at a place like this, but at the same time, it might be far too distracting.

Have you done this, and what did you think of the experience.

I've drafted at a restaurant twice. The food and drinks is cool, but can't really talk isht or hear picks. Constantly asking who was picked, hearing what other strategies are being talked about, etc. I avoid it. Drafting @ someone's house or quieter atmosphere is the way to go for me at least.

Did one at a Hooters a couple years ago. Wasn't a big fan. Would rather do it at my house and have it catered.

Edited by irish
  • Like 1

I have done a lot of leagues in my life and the one I have kept in the longest in one that travels only doing draft it in public places that will allow last years loser to be in a bikini. This all started in out 20's and now that we are all in our 40's it is even funnier. I like that it distracts some as I am fairly confident in my picks going in and know where I want to draft people. Plus nothing to clean up afterwards as this group can drink a lot. This year Austin, the W and pool. I will say that the Hardrock Rehab party was even to much for me. Half the people did not finish the draft.

If you can get a private room off of the main dining area/bar it becomes more tolerable. This has only really worked well for us when we're at a restaurant in off-peak hours so it's not super crowded. Never tried a BW.

We did it this way 1-2 times, in a local pizza chain in their private room, that is the only way I'd suggest it. We started drafting at the commishes house (inside and out depending on weather) but now do it at our office in a large conference room. About half the league works here, and several others used to work here. There's really no mess or anything to clean up (nobody is drinking, its always a weeknight, usually day after Labor Day).

I agree. Too loud, too many distractions, etc. I do enjoy BWW, but they're usually busy enough that I can't hear myself think, let alone try to do a draft. On a side note, back in the day (not that many years ago, really), it was a great place to go on Tuesdays (25-cent wings) or Wednesdays (50-cent legs), among other deals that they had going on. Now, their food "deals" are really no deal at all.... it's generally overpriced to begin with. Their happy hour deals are pretty good, and their beer selection is usually pretty solid, but the food itself is average, IMO.

I did enjoy one restaurant draft a few years back, in NoCal.... We had a private room at Dave and Busters. Can't remember the details, but I think we just had to agree to spent like $500 in food/booze between the group. Given that there were 11-12 of us that day, it was a non-issue.

Unless you can find a place that will do something similar (give you some space, and a privately enclosed environment), live drafts are best done in somebody's garage, living room, man cave, etc.

We used an Irish pub in the Arts district to hold our office drafts. We picked a slow night [Tuesday] to reserve a private room [N/C]. No problem with crowds or noise.

Edited by MothAudio

My only live draft at a bar occurred cometely by accident. I was at the bar having a few morning cocktails and a big group came in with a board and I immediately knew what was going on. Intrigued, I started talking it up with a couple guys and I found out They were short an owner. They offered to waive the league fee if I could fill in so I did. I won that league lol. It was a fun time at a mostly quite local sports bar. I'd do that again in a heart beat but would never go to a popular chain.

Two locals every year, auctions drafts at restaurants. Have done it at Hooters, Twin Peaks, Tilted Kilt, couple of other places, (anybody heard of Barnacles?). They will set us off in a secluded room/area where we can rearrange the tables and post our board in the front of all the owners in a sort of semi-circle. We have a cool board made up, about 12'x 6' with all of the teams and we fill in the rosters as we go. Each owner has a placard in front of them identifying their team, which is also used to place face down once they are out of the bidding for any given nominated player. It is not uncommon for some of the patrons to notice what we're doing and observe & take pics of our set up. We have a waitress assigned who serves everybody. It works out perfect for our needs. It is always a fun get-together to see everybody, not to mention the excitement of the draft to kick off the FF season...it's like Christmas day for big boys, we all look forward to it.