[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft a WR to target a QB?

Zangief80

Not sure if I have seen this topic here before. But what you guys think of drafting a WR for the sake of "targeting" a high scoring QB on a weeks that you are playing versus those QBs. I would say Luck and Rogers would be the best bet here since they are #1 and #2. So if I have a weekly matchup vs another player in my league that has one of those QBs I kind of cover some if not most of the points that QB will have. We can take Andre Johnson and Jordy for example. Jordy is drafted around the same time as Julio, Calvin and AJ. Andre Johson is drafter around a time of Emanual Sanders, Jordan Mathews, Kelvin Benjamin. Would you use this strategy and pick the likes of Johnson and Nelson over other WRs to cover the weeks that you are facing those high scoring QBs?

Grits nailed it... who your opponent has should have absolutely no bearing on your draft and lineup decisions.

When drafting, you pick the player that you believe will score the most points at the position you have decided to draft.

When selecting your lineup, you choose the player at that position that you believe will score the most points that week.

I agree it might sound as overthinking. But I am not saying to go out of your way to draft these guys for this purpose. But if you are in a spot to pick and looking for a WR at these draft spots, is this something to consider as an advantage for Nelson and Johnson over other WRs in that ADP range. But I would have to agree its a bit of overthinking.

Unless you are playing that particular owner every week then no. It seems to me that you are singling out 1-2 owners to compete against. That's borderline lunacy. You still have to play the rest of the league.

Edited by tazinib1

It's nice to have the combo, last year I had Luck/Hilton. A few years ago I had Manning/Harrison/Addai - funny that I'm a Colts fan but I didn't go out of my way to draft them - it's just a matter of where they fell.

Last year the dude at the back end of the turn had Rodgers/Nelson.

It's nice to double up when your QB throws to your WR, but yeah - like everyone else said - I wouldn't go out of my way to try to pair them up..

It's nice to have the combo, last year I had Luck/Hilton. A few years ago I had Manning/Harrison/Addai - funny that I'm a Colts fan but I didn't go out of my way to draft them - it's just a matter of where they fell.

It's nice to double up when your QB throws to your WR, but yeah - like everyone else said - I wouldn't go out of my way to try to pair them up..

You didn't read the original query ... he is targeting WRs to "cancel out" the corresponding high scoring QB that will be started against him in a particular week.

In the first place it is not a sound strategy to set your lineup based on whom your opponent is starting against you; i.e. since my opponent is starting Rodgers I will start Davante Adams this week instead of Roddy White, so that Adams will "cancel" out points from Rodgers. Doesn't work that way ... you should ALWAYS start the player you think will score the most points regardless of your opponent's starters.

Then the flawed strategy is compounded (made worse) by attempting to implement it at draft day when there are a multitude of things that can occur before the magical week when you get to start your WR against his QB that could invalidate the original strategy (injuries, trades, suspensions, being benched, etc etc)

• Like 1

Need to put down the sauce tonight - I read it correctly this morning but came back to read the comments only to then think he was targeting WR/QB combos.

I can make a spot in my league if you wanna try that strategy out this year.. Carry on. :)

I know you know this and your last comment alludes to this, so this is a general statement, not targeted at you, but there is no advantage to targeting QB/WR combos (or any other combo), etc. Draft the player that you believe will score the most points at the position you have decided to draft. Start the player you believe will score the most points at the various positions. If it so happens that you end up with a Qb/WR combo or a QB/TE or RB/WR combo, so be it, but to target them is a flawed "strategy".

• Like 1

I know you know this and your last comment alludes to this, so this is a general statement, not targeted at you, but there is no advantage to targeting QB/WR combos (or any other combo), etc. Draft the player that you believe will score the most points at the position you have decided to draft. Start the player you believe will score the most points at the various positions. If it so happens that you end up with a Qb/WR combo or a QB/TE or RB/WR combo, so be it, but to target them is a flawed "strategy".

But, but ... every time your QB throws to your WR you get DOUBLE points :out: