[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Get a Fall Guy

gilthorp

We all know it happens, never questioned the legality of it. Sure its wrong but it happens in every sport and corporation? That's why there's "Whistle Blower protection". The political correctness stems from people really not saying whats really on their mind? I tried to sugar coat the delivery but these young men come from austere conditions, its tough to leave it behind? Took Pacman quite sometime to get things straightened out? Marshawn Lynch gun charges? Aldon Smith? The list is long.......Just trying to say the problem isn't CC, maybe its the quality of young men playing the sport? Winston was a shoplifter and accused of rape? Before he took an NFL snap? Not going to debate it, Just an opinion and from a realest point of view. Yes again, it is wrong and morally corupt but it happens everyday.......Greg Anderson is exactly what cc was talking about, prime example "#1 Fall Guy".

^

I am sorry - I don't buy a word of what you are serving here. To tell any person they are beyond the law is flat wrong.

What they were is not who they are. It starts there and now that they are getting paid, man up and be responsible. If you aren't, you are going down.

• Like 1

So do you believe Barry Bonds is innocent? I don't, my opinion but he escaped the law via Greg Anderson? That's all I'm serving, morally corrupt but it happened. Anderson took the fall......its all about money and money corrupts.

No he's not innocent. There's two things here. First, it's morally wrong and illegal. If you don't care about that, then at a bare minimum, it shouldn't be at an NFL sponsored event and then posted on their web site.

• Like 1

So do you believe Barry Bonds is innocent? I don't, my opinion but he escaped the law via Greg Anderson? That's all I'm serving, morally corrupt but it happened. Anderson took the fall......its all about money and money corrupts.

If you wanna spin it a different way Bonds McGwire Sosa Clemens and many other higher profile athletes at the time were the fall guys for the 70-80% of baseball that were taking steroids at the time. They were just that much better because well they were that much better. Their penalty ("no hall of fame for you") in my best soup nazi voice

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe
  • Like 1

You can like what Carter said or not, I couldn't care less what you think.

To paraphrase, he said you should do the right thing but some of you won't listen and will do the wrong thing and if you aren't going to do the right thing then here is what you should do. These kids have million of dollars on the line, often times, the financial future of their own kids is on the line. You don't have to like it, it is sold advice.

You can like what Carter said or not, I couldn't care less what you think.

To paraphrase, he said you should do the right thing but some of you won't listen and will do the wrong thing and if you aren't going to do the right thing then here is what you should do. These kids have million of dollars on the line, often times, the financial future of their own kids is on the line. You don't have to like it, it is sold advice.

Solid advice? One of the guys that boys look up to, CC, essentially tells them that if they are going to break the law just be smart about it and have a fall guy? Sorry, I just can't get on board with a platform that tells rookies that one of their priorities should be to set up a plan that allows them to get away with breaking the law. If we keep going down that path ... he could have said something like "don't use performance enhancing drugs, but if you do be smart about it see this guy and he will help you figure out how to work around the system". Of maybe he could have said "don't deflate the balls, but if you are going to do it be sure to pay off the ball boys".

Nope, the NFL and representatives of the NFL should tell these guys to walk the straight and narrow or live with the consequences.

• Like 5

I don't think anybody is debating whether this happens or not. What is wrong is Cris Carter speaking at a an NFL rookie symposium telling them "listen you're going to be breaking the law and getting into trouble, so just pay somebody in your crew to take the fall for you". By the way, this symposium put on by the NFL to teach the youngster's some lessons about how to cope with life in the NFL. They should not be teaching them how to get others to take the blame for their crimes.

I'd much rather Carter say some of the same things I heard at his HOF induction or some other speech. He talked about his troubles in Philly and how he needed a major thing (being cut) to snap him out of it. How he then focused on his job, and becoming one of the best receivers in the league. He told them "while you're out partying with your friends at some club I'm home getting rest, while you're sleeping in hungover I'm hitting the weight room the film room and practice fields making myself better. And on the field, when you're gasping for air I'm flying by you scoring touchdowns."

If the NFL stands behind "get a fall guy" they're taking a major black eye, and them allowing this to be said, then posting the video on the NFL site is a big issue to me. (The original linked article I read had a link to a video on NFL.com, but I could not get that video to load. If it has Cris Carter saying "get a fall guy" to the rookies somebody at NFL should be fired.)

Has anybody seen or heard more on what video was posted on the NFL site that was linked in that article in the first post? I see the link is this (from looking at the page) yesterday no video ran, today I'm getting something called Fabiano's Fantasy Feedback while the link clearly states it was rookie life lesons from Sapp and Carter/ I know the NFL is just doing a CYA. but really if that was the same video as the one in that original linked story what the hell were they thinking? Who approved putting that online?

video link (which isn't what it should be)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000361495/Rookies-learn-life-lessons-from-Sapp-and-Carter

Edited by stevegrab
  • Like 1

I don't think anybody is debating whether this happens or not. What is wrong is Cris Carter speaking at a an NFL rookie symposium telling them "listen you're going to be breaking the law and getting into trouble, so just pay somebody in your crew to take the fall for you". By the way, this symposium put on by the NFL to teach the youngster's some lessons about how to cope with life in the NFL. They should not be teaching them how to get others to take the blame for their crimes.

I'd much rather Carter say some of the same things I heard at his HOF induction or some other speech. He talked about his troubles in Philly and how he needed a major thing (being cut) to snap him out of it. How he then focused on his job, and becoming one of the best receivers in the league. He told them "while you're out partying with your friends at some club I'm home getting rest, while you're sleeping in hungover I'm hitting the weight room the film room and practice fields making myself better. And on the field, when you're gasping for air I'm flying by you scoring touchdowns."

If the NFL stands behind "get a fall guy" they're taking a major black eye, and them allowing this to be said, then posting the video on the NFL site is a big issue to me. (The original linked article I read had a link to a video on NFL.com, but I could not get that video to load. If it has Cris Carter saying "get a fall guy" to the rookies somebody at NFL should be fired.)

Has anybody seen or heard more on what video was posted on the NFL site that was linked in that article in the first post? I see the link is this (from looking at the page) yesterday no video ran, today I'm getting something called Fabiano's Fantasy Feedback while the link clearly states it was rookie life lesons from Sapp and Carter/ I know the NFL is just doing a CYA. but really if that was the same video as the one in that original linked story what the hell were they thinking? Who approved putting that online?

video link (which isn't what it should be)

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000361495/Rookies-learn-life-lessons-from-Sapp-and-Carter

Actually given the content of CC's speech I question whether he cleaned up or covered up. I lost a ton of respect for CC.

No surprise the NFL has taken the video down, you can find the original video here: http://www.brobible.com/sports/article/cris-carter-nfl-rookies-fall-guy/

Edited by Grits and Shins

Grits,

Just to clarify I watched the video on that link (brobible) which has the link to the NFL video. What I'd like to know is was it really the same video? If it was that is damning for the NFL, bad enough they'd allow their rookies to be given this advice during the symposium (not over dinner or drinks outside the formal event) but to post that on their web site is just dumb.

I too have lost some respect for CC.

Grits,

Just to clarify I watched the video on that link (brobible) which has the link to the NFL video. What I'd like to know is was it really the same video? If it was that is damning for the NFL, bad enough they'd allow their rookies to be given this advice during the symposium (not over dinner or drinks outside the formal event) but to post that on their web site is just dumb.

I too have lost some respect for CC.

:shrug: I believe the NFL has said they pulled the video and admonished CC.

• Like 1

CC responds

"... it's not the type of advice that I would offer young people ... "

That is exactly what you did, you can't deny it now. We can see it on the video, no amount of back pedaling now can change the advice you offered to those young people.

"... I would never tell young people to break the law"

I agree you did not advise them to break the law. You didn't exactly discourage them either.

"... [i would never tell young people] to avoid prosecution"

Again, that is EXACTLY what you told them to do ... you know, the whole have a fall guy thing. CC is just like a politician, lying to our faces expecting the dumb American public to ignore the video evidence and believe his heartfelt and sincere apology now (after he got caught).

I lost respect for CC after seeing the video.

I lost even more respect for CC after seeing him expect us to believe he did NOT tell the rookies to have a fall guy to avoid prosecution.

• Like 1

CC responds

"... it's not the type of advice that I would offer young people ... "

That is exactly what you did, you can't deny it now. We can see it on the video, no amount of back pedaling now can change the advice you offered to those young people.

"... I would never tell young people to break the law"

I agree you did not advise them to break the law. You didn't exactly discourage them either.

"... [i would never tell young people] to avoid prosecution"

Again, that is EXACTLY what you told them to do ... you know, the whole have a fall guy thing. CC is just like a politician, lying to our faces expecting the dumb American public to ignore the video evidence and believe his heartfelt and sincere apology now (after he got caught).

I lost respect for CC after seeing the video.

I lost even more respect for CC after seeing him expect us to believe he did NOT tell the rookies to have a fall guy to avoid prosecution.

yep.

I think it was good advice. It's similar to the advice you might give a teenager about sex. You tell them it's better to not have sex, but use a condom if you do have sex.

Carter's speech shouldn't have been given in front of a group of rookies in front of cameras. It is advice to give one-on-one to a high-risk player. As in: "hey, it's better if you don't smoke pot, but if you insist on being a dumbass, at least have one of your buddies, who makes $12 an hour at Abercrombie and Fitch, tell the police it was his stash. Then slide him $10,000 for taking the fall. That's win-win. Getting suspended without pay for 4 games is dumb-dumb"

Only idiots could have gotten arrested the way Bell and Blount did last year. Have a sober driver. Have a dude who holds your stash for you. Don't be dumb if you're going to do dumb things.

So not the same ... unless sex is illegal.

Dildos are illegal in Texas. So I guess this same analysis could apply to you?

Law says no more than 6 dildos were allowed by one person, but law overturned by federal appellate court.

http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/feb/09/alcee-hastings/florida-democrat-texas-law-says-women-dildos/

• Like 4