[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Offseason/preseason pickups in a keeper league

b.b.dave

As per title, what do you guys think the fair protocol is on preseason/offseason pickups in a keeper league that has no rules related to rosters freezing or anything of the sort?

Would you consider it poor form to make a pickup with intent to keep, or unless it is against the rules everyone is fair game?

This question is quite relevant at the moment with the injury to Nelson, with Adams available on the waiver wire.

With no rules you are stuck. It doesn't matter what I think, doesn't matter what you think, doesn't matter what your other owners think. There aren't any rules in place to prevent moves so you have no recourse to prevent moves.

I guess I should be more specific. I snagged Adams, and the LM subsequently dropped him back to waivers. I'm am torn on whether I should raise a stink about it, or just tell the LM to make sure he has a freeze date in place in the future.

I'm mostly wondering if people consider it to be poor sportmanship, trying to walk the edges of the rules. Or if in keeper leagues it is generally understood that everything is fair game for pickups without a rule in place. My experience in keeper leagues is quite limited, and I wouldn't wanna gain any advantage that would generally be viewed as poor form.

Edited by b.b.dave

I guess I should be more specific. I snagged Adams, and the LM subsequently dropped him back to waivers. I'm am torn on whether I should raise a stink about it, or just tell the LM to make sure he has a freeze date in place in the future.

I'm mostly wondering if people consider it to be poor sportmanship, trying to walk the edges of the rules. Or if in keeper leagues it is generally understood that everything is fair game for pickups without a rule in place.

Rules are very poorly written if they do not address off season moves for keeper leagues. It makes sense that rosters are frozen, otherwise why would you have a draft? Owners would just acquire players they wanted throughout the off season. Keepers are typically players carried over from your previous year's roster ... how can you keep a player that wasn't on your final roster for the previous year.

If it were my league and I was commissioner I would disallow your move even if it wasn't covered in the rules. Then I would tighten up the rules.

Yes, the rules are very unclear; the keeper rules themselves are quite bizarre as well.

Thats about what I figured, if I hadn't snagged him someone else surely would have.

I will go ahead and email the LM and make sure he sets a roster freeze date for next season.

I'm not sure that our rules clearly address this (I tried skimming them and didn't see it) but our long time keeper league has always understood that rosters are locked when our season is over. Teams can trade players, but free agents are off limits as are incoming rookies. Not sure why anybody would think that is or should be allowed even without a rule.

We may prevent it by locking rosters, I know we allow teams in the playoffs to make temporary moves, they can add an extra player or two to cover an injury or whatever situation they feel is necessary. But when they exit the playoffs player goes back into the FA pool.

Must be FF season as the "should this be allowed" posts are already starting up.