[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Philosophy

tbill87

I haven't participated in Fantasy Football in a number of years, but have decided to join an office league this year. When starting my research for standard scoring leagues, I see QBs rated significantly higher than RBs and WRs, but yet when I see mock drafts I consistently see QBs going 2nd and 3rd round. If there are 15 QBs projected to score higher than any other position player, why are QBs being drafted so late?

Because RB depth is low, getting an elite RB is harder than getting a QB, so people take them early. You can get a QB like Matt Ryan or Cam newton in the 6th or 7th round, and they are only 2-3 points less per game than the other top QB's. The only two QB's worth going for early are Rodgers and Luck. You can get good value from QB in later rounds. After the first 10 RB's are gone, there isnt much left.

I haven't participated in Fantasy Football in a number of years, but have decided to join an office league this year. When starting my research for standard scoring leagues, I see QBs rated significantly higher than RBs and WRs, but yet when I see mock drafts I consistently see QBs going 2nd and 3rd round. If there are 15 QBs projected to score higher than any other position player, why are QBs being drafted so late?

point differential, not points scored, is the key to value.

Makes sense. Thank you.

I have the 8th pick in an upcoming 12 team league. I know Rodgers and Luck will go for sure, leaving 5 other picks before my first pick. Based on responses above, I should take the best RB available at 8, but coming back should I take another RB or the best WR available?

since you are a fairly unfamiliar with it I recommend finding an expert's list that has the same scoring as your league. Find a list that ranks all positions together and just start crossing off names as they are drafted. When it is your turn draft someone in the range of the top guys not crossed off. just be sure to balance out your team between RBs and WRs.

Makes sense. Thank you.

I have the 8th pick in an upcoming 12 team league. I know Rodgers and Luck will go for sure, leaving 5 other picks before my first pick. Based on responses above, I should take the best RB available at 8, but coming back should I take another RB or the best WR available?

Not neccessarily.

Even if Rodgers or luck is there, in most leagues they are not worth a first round pick, so I's probably be passing on them.

As to what position to take, it really depends on what players made up those top 7 picks and also what you think the guys behind you will take. If the top 7 picks are all WRs, then I'd go RB. If the top 7 were all RBs, then I'd go WR or posibly Gronk. Assuming it is a mix, then it comes down to what makes you mosr comfortable and what, if anything, you know about the folks drafting behind you and their tendencies.

All this of course assumes you have fairly standard scoring and lineup rules in the league, as those are the factors that determine value and in turn draft strategy.

Thank you for the replies. I believe we have a standard non-ppr scoring format. Unfortunately, I am new to the league, so I do not know the other members preferences or tendencies. This year will probably be just taking a list and crossing off names as suggested and using it as a learning experience for years to come.