[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rob Gronkowski: how high to draft?

squirrelmastr21

I agree depth at wr is solid, that's why you SHOULDNT use 3 of your first 4 picks on the deepest position.. Confused with your post to say the least

My point is that I got 3 potential number 1 wr even when not using a first round pick on one plus I got the best te in the league. If u can nail down that much talent at wr and te and hit on one of your mid round rbs ur team is gonna be very competitive. Every time I've used this strategy I've had great success. It could fail anytime just like any strategy that anyone thinks of but it hasn't failed me yet so I'm sticking with it.

Since WR is so deep don't you want to get 3 before anyone else to lock up the best WR possible for your flex spot?

I think you may be confused by what the term "deep" means.

In this case, it means that there are a lot of WRs with top potential, that it is easier to draft some in the 4th, 5th or later rounds that could easily be a top 20 or higher candidate.

With RB, there are much fewer candidates with likely top 5-10 production, even fewer TE candidates, etc., so it is much easier to get WRs that will produce for you later in the draft than it is any of the other positions, thus you can wait on WR and still come out with a very strong group of WRs.

Obviously it comes down to getting the players that end up scoring above or at their draft slot and being lucky enough to avoid the guys that perform below their draft slot (including due to injury), so any order may end up working out. Some are just a bit more logical than others

A hugh benefit to drafting Gronk is his trade value. Whoever in your league has the most stacked team will trade a boatload for him. Gronk is the lone tight end in tier 1. Getting 3 elite players for him in week 8 will be easy.

This is the only logical reason for drafting Gronk at #2. This trade happens in all of my leagues every year.

Well he just went # 1 to my shock in a very competitive BOTH league I play in granted TE gets a lot more value for receptions than others and then low and behold Julio went second to just drive bell and AP down the ladder... And AP went at 5 to the owner who has won the last 3 years... F@ck me... You just never know year to year what will happen but never saw that coming.

:brow:

Of course, this is also the first year in that league where I've taken a RB prior to the 5th round (and that was Toby Gerhart last year), so maybe it won't be my year. Pretty hard to pass on AP at 1.05, though, homer or not.

Edited by Gopher

As for Gronk, I would say that it's a risky move. There are certainly "safer" picks at 1.02. Personally, I think it's a slight reach, and unless the scoring is tiered PPR (where TE's get more points for receptions than RB/WR), I would go elsewhere with that pick. If you can trade down a few spots, then maybe it makes sense. Otherwise, take a top RB/WR, and grab somebody like Olsen/Graham a round or two later (both of which I think are safer picks than Gronk, given where you can get them).

• Like 1

Gronk went first in my 12 team draft last night. By the time the draft was over, he ended up with A.Rodgers at QB and Lamar Miller and Chris Ivory at RB. I'm not going to list his whole roster, but his WR group was not that impressive.

I'm not saying they will or they won't, but if Miller and Ivory put up about 1200 yds and 10 TDs each, then he's probably ok with the added numbers from Gronk and Rodgers compared to everyone else in the league.

I have a hard time with Gronk going high in the first round. Maybe late 1st in 12 team PPR league with mandatory Tight End.

I kept Gronk as a 4th rounder in a 12 Team PPR league but TE's are not mandatory but can be played at Flex.

As for Gronk, I would say that it's a risky move. There are certainly "safer" picks at 1.02. Personally, I think it's a slight reach, and unless the scoring is tiered PPR (where TE's get more points for receptions than RB/WR), I would go elsewhere with that pick. If you can trade down a few spots, then maybe it makes sense. Otherwise, take a top RB/WR, and grab somebody like Olsen/Graham a round or two later (both of which I think are safer picks than Gronk, given where you can get them).

agreed

Gronk went first in my 12 team draft last night. By the time the draft was over, he ended up with A.Rodgers at QB and Lamar Miller and Chris Ivory at RB. I'm not going to list his whole roster, but his WR group was not that impressive.

I'm not saying they will or they won't, but if Miller and Ivory put up about 1200 yds and 10 TDs each, then he's probably ok with the added numbers from Gronk and Rodgers compared to everyone else in the league.

I'm curious how his lineup turned out...Rodgers was likely taken too high imo

Every line up I've seen that took Gronk in the 1st rd looks weak to me. You put yourself behind at WR and RB by doing that IMO. But I guess we will see how it turns out. I think the league is incredibly watered down right now, it's all a crap shoot.

I'm curious how his lineup turned out...Rodgers was likely taken too high imo

1 - Gronk, 24 - A.Rodgers, 25 - Lamar Miller, 48 - Sammy Watkins, 49 - Allen Robinson, 72 - Chris Ivory (very jealous of this one, I wanted him and waited too long), 73 - John Brown (WR), 96 - Julius Thomas, 97 - Victor Cruz, 120 - Eddie Royal, 121 - DeVante Parker

Plus some kickers, DSTs, etc at the end.

We start 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1Def, 1Kicker, 1 defensive player

For comparison, here's what I ended up with (don't judge me unless you have nice things to say):

9 - CJ Anderson, 16 - Jeremy Hill, 33 - Jordan Matthews, 40 - Keenan Allen, 57 - DeSean Jackson, 64 - Doug Martin, 81 - L. Blount, 88 - J Cameron, 105 - L. Fitzgerald, 112 - Eli Manning, 12 - B Perriman

Edited by faceplant

1 - Gronk, 24 - A.Rodgers, 25 - Lamar Miller, 48 - Sammy Watkins, 49 - Allen Robinson, 72 - Chris Ivory (very jealous of this one, I wanted him and waited too long), 73 - John Brown (WR), 96 - Julius Thomas, 97 - Victor Cruz, 120 - Eddie Royal, 121 - DeVante Parker

Plus some kickers, DSTs, etc at the end.

We start 1QB, 2RBs, 3WRs, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1Def, 1Kicker, 1 defensive player

For comparison, here's what I ended up with (don't judge me unless you have nice things to say):

9 - CJ Anderson, 16 - Jeremy Hill, 33 - Jordan Matthews, 40 - Keenan Allen, 57 - DeSean Jackson, 64 - Doug Martin, 81 - L. Blount, 88 - J Cameron, 105 - L. Fitzgerald, 112 - Eli Manning, 12 - B Perriman

I like your team a lot more than his.

League is 0.5 point PPR. 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE and a flex. 12 teams.

Going into the draft I wanted to utilize the zero RB draft theory. Considered Gronk at 1.02 but went with Antonio Brown. Gronk ended up going 2.03. Was hoping Rodgers or Luck would be available in the second round but were taken back to back 1.11 & 1.12. My strategy was to lock up as many positions as possible with no brainier starters so I can work the waiver all year focusing almost exclusively on RBs. You can get gems at RB in my league if you just keep at it. Trying to guess 1 week early which RB will blow up.

Antonio Brown 1.02

Mike Evans at 2.11

Jimmy Graham at 3.02

Latavius Murray 4.11

Keenan Allen 5.02

Doug Martin 6.11

Jarvis Landry 7.02

Tevin Coleman 8.11

Matthew Stafford 9.02

Shane Vereen 10.11

Matt Jones 11.02

Roy Helu 12.11

Dolphins D 13.02

Lance Dunbar 14.11

David Johnson 15.02

Matt Bryant 16.11

My analysis:

Decisions:

3.02 Jimmy Graham or Justin Forsett. Went with Graham so I can start him every week and not worry about TE position anymore.

5.02 Keenan Allen or Jonathan Stewart. Went with Keenan Allen to go all in on the zero RB theory.

9.02 Matthew Stafford or Devonta Freeman. Considered Freeman to pair with Tevin Coleman, one of them will be the starter. Got scared someone would take Stafford as their backup and took him. He was the 14th QB taken.

Mistakes: I took Matt Jones at 11.02 which looking back is a bad pick. The RBs you take at the end of the draft should all be boom or bust guys that have a chance at a bigger role than anticipated in the preseason. Jones is locked in as Morris' backup, I want to churn the RB position not sit on guys that are backups hoping Alfred Morris gets injured. I could have taken Ronnie Hillman at that spot who has a much higher ceiling. Key is to take all high ceiling RBs. I also did not get Chris Sims, Doug Martin's backup, totally forgot about him. Doug Martin is no sure thing to be the lead back, so dropped the ball on that.

Conclusion: Chris Ivory was taken the pick before I got Doug Martin as my #2RB. If I got Ivory I would feel much more secure. I'm not completely confident in Martin or Stafford but I like my team and the upside of my RBs specifically Latavius Murray and Tevin Coleman.

So how does everyone think it turned out?

Edited by squirrelmastr21