[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Confused About IDP - Are these the guys I want?

This is my first year playing in a PPR and/or IDP league. Short on time, I went off of the FantasyPro's IDP Draft Cheatsheet, picking up Robert Quinn (Ranked #4) and Chandler Jones (Ranked #6). The ESPN blurbs (for what they're worth) seem to confirm that these guys are good picks.

My issue is that looking at the guys still available on the WW, my guys don't seem so hot. D'Qwell Jackson, Curtis Lofton, Adam Jones, Lawrence Timmons, Daryl Smith, and David Harris all had over 200 fantasy points last season, compared to Quinn's 101 points and Jones' 88 points.

What's going on? Should I drop either of my draft picks for any of the guys on the WW?

Continuing to research, it looks like both Quinn and Jones are leaders when it comes to sacks. Aside from Watt, all the leading scorers last year had a high number of tackles, so it's looking like Lofton and Jackson would be better options?

Here's our scoring system:

Each Sack (SK) 2

Total Tackles (TK) 1

Assisted Tackles (TKA) 0.5

Solo Tackles (TKS) 0.5

Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 1

Each Interception (INT) 2

Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 1

Each Fumble Forced (FF) 1

Each Safety (SF) 2

Stuffs (SF) 0.5

Passes Defensed (PD) 0.5

Continuing to research, it looks like both Quinn and Jones are leaders when it comes to sacks. Aside from Watt, all the leading scorers last year had a high number of tackles, so it's looking like Lofton and Jackson would be better options?

Here's our scoring system:

Each Sack (SK) 2

Total Tackles (TK) 1

Assisted Tackles (TKA) 0.5

Solo Tackles (TKS) 0.5

Blocked Punt, PAT or FG (BLKK) 1

Each Interception (INT) 2

Each Fumble Recovered (FR) 1

Each Fumble Forced (FF) 1

Each Safety (SF) 2

Stuffs (SF) 0.5

Passes Defensed (PD) 0.5

Can't say without seeing everyone that's available but I'd bet better is there for you.Also, if you only start 2 per week you'll be able to find viable to plus options weekly on the waiver wire.

Check this out too: http://www.thehuddle.com/2015/articles/sleepers-and-value-plays-idp.php

You have to adjust for league rules. If you're referring to the league in your sig and only have to start 2 IDP period, DL are a terrible way to do that. This is the equivalent of a league that lumps TE and WR together and you're looking at someone like Martellus Bennett. Sure, he's a strong TE, but he's about 50 deep in combined WR/TE scoring leagues.

For reference, in one of my leagues with similar scoring (3 for a sack, 2 for solo, 1 for assist) JJ Watt - the one with the most ridiculously epic domination we've ever seen at DL - was the #6 IDP overall. 6th. The next DL was JPP at #68 overall.

• Like 1

You have to adjust for league rules. If you're referring to the league in your sig and only have to start 2 IDP period, DL are a terrible way to do that. This is the equivalent of a league that lumps TE and WR together and you're looking at someone like Martellus Bennett. Sure, he's a strong TE, but he's about 50 deep in combined WR/TE scoring leagues.

For reference, in one of my leagues with similar scoring (3 for a sack, 2 for solo, 1 for assist) JJ Watt - the one with the most ridiculously epic domination we've ever seen at DL - was the #6 IDP overall. 6th. The next DL was JPP at #68 overall.

Wow, thank you, that makes sense. Seems like I won't be able to use any of the standard IDP advice then? If not, any suggestions on how I can analyze quality players?

Here are the top 8 guys on the WW, sorted by their scoring last year. Any suggestions?

Curtis Lofton, Oak LB - 225.5

Adam Jones, Cin CB - 210

Lawrence Timmons, Pit LB - 206.5

Daryl Smith, Bal LB - 206

David Harris, NYJ LB - 202

Demario Davis, NYJ LB - 188.5

Vincent Rey, Cin LB - 186.5

Charles Woodson, Oak S - 185.5

Dumb question, if I look at a players 2014 season on ESPN, the scores are calculated based on the league scoring settings, right?

Edited by UniqueCopy

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, thank you, that makes sense. Seems like I won't be able to use any of the standard IDP advice then? If not, any suggestions on how I can analyze quality players?

Here are the top 8 guys on the WW, sorted by their scoring last year. Any suggestions?

Curtis Lofton, Oak LB - 225.5

Adam Jones, Cin CB - 210

Lawrence Timmons, Pit LB - 206.5

Daryl Smith, Bal LB - 206

David Harris, NYJ LB - 202

Demario Davis, NYJ LB - 188.5

Vincent Rey, Cin LB - 186.5

Charles Woodson, Oak S - 185.5

Dumb question, if I look at a players 2014 season on ESPN, the scores are calculated based on the league scoring settings, right?

I don't know if you'll have to ignore IDP advice, just pay attention to the context within which it's offered. If you're reading about a "traditional" IDP league, that's generally referring to multiple each DL, LB, and DB and in those, the premium DL and DB hold a lot more weight since you can take advantage of positional deltas. Watt is an absolute monster in DL required leagues - did you see his NINE solo tackles yesterday?

With Jones that high you must have points for return yards he's double-dipping? That could be a sneaky add if so.

Your scoring is relatively tackle-heavy, so focus on ILB and MLB. Harris and Lofton are most likely on that list, but don't fall in love with last year too much. Check out the Huddle content Keg listed above for some other ideas.

You'll have to ask ESPN about their league settings, sorry. I would expect that it does, and if so, go do a top 50 overall IDP and just pivot out the positions - you'll get a very clear picture of any positional bias that way.

• Like 1

I don't know if you'll have to ignore IDP advice, just pay attention to the context within which it's offered. If you're reading about a "traditional" IDP league, that's generally referring to multiple each DL, LB, and DB and in those, the premium DL and DB hold a lot more weight since you can take advantage of positional deltas. Watt is an absolute monster in DL required leagues - did you see his NINE solo tackles yesterday?

With Jones that high you must have points for return yards he's double-dipping? That could be a sneaky add if so.

Your scoring is relatively tackle-heavy, so focus on ILB and MLB. Harris and Lofton are most likely on that list, but don't fall in love with last year too much. Check out the Huddle content Keg listed above for some other ideas.

You'll have to ask ESPN about their league settings, sorry. I would expect that it does, and if so, go do a top 50 overall IDP and just pivot out the positions - you'll get a very clear picture of any positional bias that way.

Thanks for the reply, great info!

I didn't see this Miscellaneous section, and it looks like we do get points for return yards. So if the kickoff returner plays for the defense, am I correct in believing we get points for that? This is like decrypting a secret code, damn custom leagues :D

Every 10 kickoff return yards (KR10) 1

Kickoff Return TD (KRTD) 6

Fumble Recovered for TD (FTD) 6

Fumble Return TD (FRTD) 6

Every 10 punt return yards (PR10) 1

Punt Return TD (PRTD) 6

Interception Return TD (INTTD) 6

Blocked Punt or FG return for TD (BLKKRTD) 6

Of the top 10 scorers this weekend there were 3 linebackers, 3 cornerbacks, 2 safties, 1 defensive end, and 1 defensive tackle. Everyone but Watt and Worrilow is available.

1. Quin - S - 20.5

2. Smith - CB - 20.5

3. Watt - DE - 19.5

4. Worrilow - LB - 19.5

5. R Jones - S - 19

6. Barr - LB - 19

7. A Jones - CB - 18.5

8. Norman - CB - 18.5

9. Donald - DT - 18.5

10. Misi - LB - 17

Based on the previous advice here I dropped Quinn and Jones for Daryl Smith and David Harris, who scored 10 and 14, respectively.

I'd jump on Barr ASAP. He looks beastly.

This seemed like a pretty interesting week. Lots of DB's and DL in general getting a ton of solos. Be careful not to react to one week wonders, but Reshad Jones has been a stud DB for years and Donald is unblockable most of the time.

Quin and Smith had TD returns, obviously not trendable.

• Like 1

DBs are going to flash high week to week as the top scorers, but linebackers will be more consistent as a whole. DL can be nearly ignored in this format (for the reason given above with DE=TE and Watt=Gronk).

Quin, Barr, RJones and the 2 LBs you got already are probably the short list. I would cycle through guys pretty often with only needing 2.

Edited by cheesebengals
  • Like 1