[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Zero RB Theory: Draft Results

squirrelmastr21

I posted this in the Rob Gronkowski thread but thought it would be a great help for anyone considering the zero RB theory as a real draft example.

12 team League is 0.5 point PPR. 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE and a flex.

Going into the draft I wanted to utilize the zero RB draft theory. Considered Gronk at 1.02 but went with Antonio Brown. Gronk ended up going 2.03. Was hoping Rodgers or Luck would be available in the second round but were taken back to back 1.11 & 1.12. My strategy was to lock up as many positions as possible with no brainier starters so I can do a spray and pray at RB with 8 RBs total. Then work the waiver all year focusing almost exclusively on RBs. You can get gems at RB in my league if you just keep at it. Trying to guess 1 week early which RB will blow up.

Antonio Brown 1.02

Mike Evans at 2.11

Jimmy Graham at 3.02

Latavius Murray 4.11

Keenan Allen 5.02

Doug Martin 6.11

Jarvis Landry 7.02

Tevin Coleman 8.11

Matthew Stafford 9.02

Shane Vereen 10.11

Matt Jones 11.02

Roy Helu 12.11

Dolphins D 13.02

Lance Dunbar 14.11

David Johnson 15.02

Matt Bryant 16.11

My analysis:

Decisions:

3.02 Jimmy Graham or Justin Forsett. Went with Graham so I can start him every week and not worry about TE position anymore.

5.02 Keenan Allen or Jonathan Stewart. Went with Keenan Allen to go all in on the zero RB theory.

9.02 Matthew Stafford or Devonta Freeman. Considered Freeman to pair with Tevin Coleman, one of them will be the starter. Got scared someone would take Stafford as their backup and took him. He was the 14th QB taken.

Mistakes: I took Matt Jones at 11.02 which looking back is a bad pick. The RBs you take at the end of the draft should all be boom or bust guys that have a chance at a bigger role than anticipated in the preseason. Jones is locked in as Morris' backup, I want to churn the RB position not sit on guys that are backups hoping Alfred Morris gets injured. I could have taken Ronnie Hillman at that spot who has a much higher ceiling. Key is to take all high ceiling RBs. I also did not get Chris Sims, Doug Martin's backup, totally forgot about him. Doug Martin is no sure thing to be the lead back, so dropped the ball on that.

Conclusion: Chris Ivory was taken the pick before I got Doug Martin as my #2RB. If I got Ivory I would feel much more secure. I'm not completely confident in Martin or Stafford but I like my team and the upside of my RBs specifically Latavius Murray and Tevin Coleman.

So how does everyone think it turned out?

I will say that I would rather take a backup that is behind someone who is either shaky at RB or is often injured than take someone who is a cop back but gets me a couple points every week on my bench with a slight chance at a big game...

And while I say that, I would take playera like Sproles but it depends on your strategy...

If I am going zero RB then I would want RB's who can possibly start and do well....but don't start right now...with the chance at missing big time....

If I have my starting RB's set then I would go for the bye week filler that is guaranteed a couple of points because of PPR

I tried this for the first time at the 2 spot in a 12 franchise QB heavy 1 keeper league (15 roster spots). Starters 1 QB, TE, K, DEF...2 RBs, 2WRs, 1 WR/RB flex. This is what I wound up with:

QB - Luck

RB - Ivory, Stewart, Crowell, David Johnson, Matt Jones,

WR - Cobb (K), Hilton, Evans, M.Bryant, Marvin Jones, Doug Baldwin

TE - ASJ

DEF - Buffalo

K - Folk

Unsurprisingly, the spray and pray left me with no depth outside the heavy skill spots. TE will have to be a week to week waiver wire scrounge. And I will have make some magic happen WHEN Stewart gets hurt. But like you said, there are always a few gems waiting in the wings as the season develops.
All in all, it felt bizarre waiting till round four to pick up a RB.

this is the team i drafted last night, with my first rbs being ivory & ellington. this is a 10 teamer

big ben

d thomas/julio/evans

ivory/ellington

graham

i drafted 9th.

and you took a rb in the 4th..? dont believe thats zero rb theory..?

Edited by byroz

+1

I thought the zero RB theory had you taking a RB in the 7th or 8th. Definitely not the 4th

I agree as well. Not a real 0 rb theory. I did it and took my first rb in the 8th rd and it was the injured arian foster then I went 4 or 5 more rbs in a row. All of them could have a high upside and just hoping one pans out.

If I took Murrary in Round 5 would that make you all feel better? I only took Keenan Allen 3 spots later. I knew the owner at the turn liked Murrary.

Arian Foster went at 4.12 in my league right after I took Latavius Murrary.

I would have loved to get a top QB but never had the chance. Like I said Luck and Rodgers went in round 1. Then Wilson, Manning, and Bress went in round 3 after I took Jimmy Graham. There was no point in reaching for a mediocre QB, it was better to wait. You have to be able to adjust to the draft.

I did this a few years back in a start up dynasty. I had the #1 overall pick and went with Megatron and snagged Dez at 2.12. I did not draft a RB until mid round and picked up Reggie Bush. I was fortunate he had a decent year. Actually won the SB that year and finished 2nd and 3rd the following years.

And I thought the whole pivot player was Gronk? At least that has an intriguing strategy in the seection.

If you're not taking Gronk (on the fence about Graham in the 3rd) then your TEs are nothing special either. What's the point?

Diminishing returns and lots of exposure. Not to mention, there is some misconception that WRs don't get hurt or something? Ha! Not only do WR's score in abrupt and semi-inconsistent streaks they are much more replaceable.

EDIT: grammer hammer

Edited by ChampSampson

Bad teams don't produce good running backs (scenarios). e.g., I like Ivory too but the Jets are going to disappoint a lot of you.

Bad teams CAN produce good wide receivers.

Some really bad lines on display. Your WRs are not even that great in the scheme of things.

Cleveland Browns were 5-11 in 2010, Peyton Hillis had almost 1700 total yards and 13 TDs. He touched the ball over 330 times. That may be an outlier but this belief held by some that "no player on a crappy team" (or in your case no RB) can produce will usually have exceptions. Somebody will draft Ivory and get his value, if you completely ignore any player (don't draft list) you're risking ignoring a player that can help you.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillPe00.htm

It's comical to me that this zero RB theory is something I began doing more than 10 years ago, with no influence from anyone (FF sites etc). I definitely remember being ridiculed on here for it but now that it's popular with a name, it's totally accepted. I always will be ahead of my time and will take daggers for having a contrarian approach toward most things.

By the way, my new approach is zero WR. We can talk about it in 5 years or so.

• Like 2

Yeah not sure if taking your first RB in the 4th would qualify. Getting "closer" if it were the 5th, I suppose. Sure, taking your first RB kind of goes against the typical trends in fantasy football drafts over the past decade, but nowadays it's more commonplace. I've subscribed to this for a few years now and have had fairly good results... some excellent results.

I'm in two MFL10's right now where I applied this theory.

Team 1:

QB - Rodgers

RB - Jennings (5.11) and Mathews (7.11)

WR - Beckham, Cobb, Adams

TE - Kelce

I will be backfilling RB with "PPR upside guys", but essentially I'll need Jennings to stave off Andre Williams and Mathews to at least get regular looks in that offense. Huge upside here if he stays healthy and Murray does not.

Team 2:

QB - Wilson

RB - Gurley (5.06), Jennings (7.06)

WR - Cobb, Evans, Allen

TE - Gronk

Here I'll need Gurley to live up to the hype, and will again backfill with "PPR upside" RBs.

As with any "theory" (said it before, will say it again), a lot of your success depends on staying healthy and mitigating risk. I'm fairly certain I can get Williams at the tail end of these drafts, so I'll have some insurance there. Risk mitigated with the least amount of investment.

Edited by darin3

I've been going with WR-RB or RB-WR every draft and many times are alternating WR-RB-WR-RB for the first 4-6 rounds.

I'm always snagging a stud RB, typically being Lynch, CJ Anderson, Jeremy Hill, AP, depending on draft order.

My greater point is the level of WRs I'm still collecting: If I'm early, i'm snagging A.Brown or even OBJ, but my WR1/2 are consistently Calvin Johnson, Jordan Matthews, Mike Evans, Larry Fitz (I like him this year), Jarvis Landry and then a bunch of others that have high flying potential to me like Markus Wheaton, Eddie Royal (yes!), Steve Smith Sr, etc, etc.

To me it seems like a better balance and value. Again, if you ain't taking Gronk, what's the point?

I know DMD posts great stats about players ability to repeat performance, but there is just more sneaky plays at receiver to make up for it...

I've been going with WR-RB or RB-WR every draft and many times are alternating WR-RB-WR-RB for the first 4-6 rounds.

I'm always snagging a stud RB, typically being Lynch, CJ Anderson, Jeremy Hill, AP, depending on draft order.

My greater point is the level of WRs I'm still collecting: If I'm early, i'm snagging A.Brown or even OBJ, but my WR1/2 are consistently Calvin Johnson, Jordan Matthews, Mike Evans, Larry Fitz (I like him this year), Jarvis Landry and then a bunch of others that have high flying potential to me like Markus Wheaton, Eddie Royal (yes!), Steve Smith Sr, etc, etc.

To me it seems like a better balance and value. Again, if you ain't taking Gronk, what's the point?

I know DMD posts great stats about players ability to repeat performance, but there is just more sneaky plays at receiver to make up for it...

Wait, what?

Are you saying that you're able to draft a "stud" RB like AP and then still manage to get OBJ or Brown? :lol: Stop.

It's comical to me that this zero RB theory is something I began doing more than 10 years ago, with no influence from anyone (FF sites etc). I definitely remember being ridiculed on here for it but now that it's popular with a name, it's totally accepted. I always will be ahead of my time and will take daggers for having a contrarian approach toward most things.

By the way, my new approach is zero WR. We can talk about it in 5 years or so.

jerk

Wait, what?

Are you saying that you're able to draft a "stud" RB like AP and then still manage to get OBJ or Brown? :lol: Stop.

No. I grab a stud WR or RB.

If I go with AP or CJ Anderson at RB for instance...

WR1/2 are consistently Calvin Johnson, Jordan Matthews, Mike Evans, Larry Fitz (I like him this year), Jarvis Landry and then a bunch of others that have high flying potential to me like Markus Wheaton, Eddie Royal (yes!), Steve Smith Sr, etc, etc.

If I go with OBJ or Brown...

then i usually grab someone like Jeremy Hill, Beast Mode, Forte, or whoever slides