[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Zero RB Theory: Draft Results

squirrelmastr21

It's comical to me that this zero RB theory is something I began doing more than 10 years ago, with no influence from anyone (FF sites etc). I definitely remember being ridiculed on here for it but now that it's popular with a name, it's totally accepted. I always will be ahead of my time and will take daggers for having a contrarian approach toward most things.

By the way, my new approach is zero WR. We can talk about it in 5 years or so.

:lol:

luckily nobody commented on the quality of his team....I took it as a RMT post as well but I wanted to comment on the zero RB subject...

When I first started playing this game ... 23 some odd years ago ... it was UNHEARD of to come out of the first 2 rounds without a RB and very often people drafted RB-RB. Then came PPR and WRs began to matter more. It took me awhile to break out of the idea that I absolutely had to get a RB in the first x rounds, and I didn't do it to adhere to any particular theory or strategy. I began to see that the successful teams in my leagues were drafting players that made a difference instead of locking in on positions ... and the "x factor" concept came to life for me.

• Like 1

When I first started playing this game ... 23 some odd years ago ... it was UNHEARD of to come out of the first 2 rounds without a RB and very often people drafted RB-RB. Then came PPR and WRs began to matter more. It took me awhile to break out of the idea that I absolutely had to get a RB in the first x rounds, and I didn't do it to adhere to any particular theory or strategy. I began to see that the successful teams in my leagues were drafting players that made a difference instead of locking in on positions ... and the "x factor" concept came to life for me.

So I think what you're saying is......draft the players that score the most points? :lol:

I can't recall ever heading into a draft saying "I'm definitely drafting x position in any round"....maybe RB in the first if I feel a certain way about the top end of the draft...

All in all there is more than one way to skin a cat and success stories for every draft strategy....these "labels" for drafting strategies are hilarious...

• Like 1

If I go with OBJ or Brown...

then i usually grab someone like Jeremy Hill, Beast Mode, Forte, or whoever slides

This has been achievable in a grand total of zero of the leagues I've drafted in this year.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 2

So I think what you're saying is......draft the players that score the most points? :lol:

I can't recall ever heading into a draft saying "I'm definitely drafting x position in any round"....maybe RB in the first if I feel a certain way about the top end of the draft...

All in all there is more than one way to skin a cat and success stories for every draft strategy....these "labels" for drafting strategies are hilarious...

Not enough to draft the players that score the most points .. you have to draft the TEAM that scores the most points. Sometimes that means that you don't draft the player on the board that you project will score the most points because it will not result in a TEAM that scores the most points. Perfect example of this ... I typically do not draft a QB until mid rounds even though they may score more actual points than the player I do draft ... because I can get another QB later that scores just a little bit less and end up with a better scoring TEAM.

i tried it yesterday in a friends and family draft, where I had the the 7th pick.

1.7 - Julio Jones

2.18 - Odell Bekcham Jr.

3.31 - Alshon Jeffrey

4.42 - Mark Ingram

5.55 - T.J. Yeldon

6.66 - Jeremy Maclin

7.79 - Shane Vereen

8.90 - Jordan Cameron

9.103 - Philip Rivers

10.114 - Martavis Bryant

11.127 - Ronnie Hillman

12.138 - Carson Palmer

13.151 - Fred Jackson

14.162 - Denver

15.175 - Blair Walsh

Obviously I'm very strong at WR, and very weak at RB. Took Fred Jackson late hoping he would find a spot with a team in need, but it doesn't sound like he'll be used a lot in SEA.

Not enough to draft the players that score the most points .. you have to draft the TEAM that scores the most points. Sometimes that means that you don't draft the player on the board that you project will score the most points because it will not result in a TEAM that scores the most points. Perfect example of this ... I typically do not draft a QB until mid rounds even though they may score more actual points than the player I do draft ... because I can get another QB later that scores just a little bit less and end up with a better scoring TEAM.

well, yeah that is what I do but you always said player so I was quoting you....:lol:

Whatever. I play a whole spread of $ games and that does include several long lasting local leagues too. And while I have seen OBJ, CJ and Hill have slide-- point aside--my point is that WR talent is readily available in later rounds vs running backs. That is predictable and reliable WR types, or WR flashes with real opportunity . At least more so than the deep RBs people are reaching for.

God I hate these forums sometimes, so ticky tacky. Same 5 degens battling the ridiculous for post count superiority. There is a reason this forum has lost all the legends and traffic.

Freaking nerds, man!

Whatever. I play a whole spread of $ games and that does include several long lasting local leagues too. And while I have seen OBJ, CJ and Hill have slide-- point aside--my point is that WR talent is readily available in later rounds vs running backs. That is predictable and reliable WR types, or WR flashes with real opportunity . At least more so than the deep RBs people are reaching for.

God I hate these forums sometimes, so ticky tacky. Same 5 degens battling the ridiculous for post count superiority. There is a reason this forum has lost all the legends and traffic.

Freaking nerds, man!

Not sure why you are bothering with this forum or the Huddle if you are playing in a guild where you stack up on players that normally don't make it out of the first round.

I went with the zero RB theory and a value based draft. At the time I drafted Antonio Brown, Mike Evans and Jimmy Graham, those were the players I projected to score the most points this season over replacement level players. I didn't reach for any of them.

Murray and Martin could've easily been my 5th and 7th picks. Again I have been playing against the guy at the turn for 10 years and know what players he likes. So in an even round I pick 2 players that I want, I then pick the player more likely to be taken by him at the turn.

I love being pick #2 or pick #11 so I have one team to focus on at the turn.

I took a lot of time to post my draft and my thought processes. I didn't come here for validation. I came here to share my experience for anyone's benefit that was considering the strategy. I thought I was in a place where I could discuss interesting topics with like minded individuals. I was clearly mistaken. Sorry for trying to start an interesting discussion.

Edited by squirrelmastr21

The problem with all these Zero whatever Theorems is that drafters often become convinced of these regimented strategies and pass up on value if it isn't part of the master plan. I have an idea for a likely start of each draft based on draft position, scoring system, and ADP; but am always flexible. I also have tentative mid to late plans based on how I started the draft (subject to change - of course). Drafting is an organic process that can go hundreds of different directions. It seems these Theorems are largely a misguided attempt to hit an easy button; there are numerously more potential advantages for a prepared drafter, IMO. Not a fan.

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 5

This has been achievable in a grand total of zero of the leagues I've drafted in this year.

In our Huddle Message Board best ball league, I could've had OBJ and Forte but skipped on Forte for De. Thomas

It's comical to me that this zero RB theory is something I began doing more than 10 years ago, with no influence from anyone (FF sites etc). I definitely remember being ridiculed on here for it but now that it's popular with a name, it's totally accepted. I always will be ahead of my time and will take daggers for having a contrarian approach toward most things.

By the way, my new approach is zero WR. We can talk about it in 5 years or so.

Does your elbow hurt?

Hell I've been drafting the players that score the most points and grits takes all the credit for that. All I have is money and trophies but you don't see me whining about it. :shrug:

• Like 1

Does your elbow hurt?

Hell I've been drafting the players that score the most points and grits takes all the credit for that. All I have is money and trophies but you don't see me whining about it. :shrug:

It's amazing Brent can post on a message board when he's nailed to a cross like that.

• Like 1

Freaking nerds, man!

True that there is a reason, but that is not it.

• Like 1

Bottom line... It works, but it has to be the right format, and the right circumstances. Mighty hard to pull off in a non-PPR league, or a league in which you have to start 2 or more RB's. But, in leagues where you can start just one (and PPR), I've done it successfully on several occasions. Load up on stud WR's and a TE early, and grab 3-4 RB's in the middle/late rounds who are likely to share work, catch a few balls, and best case, have a shot at winning the lead job outright. Add a QB somewhere, and it's a decent recipe for success.

But, again, the format has to make sense. And, it depends on where you're drafting (if I'm drafting towards the top, it's pretty hard to pass on a stud RB, regardless of format).