[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie Roulette? Why are so many people gambling with the odds?

IrishPride

I played someone who started Mariota? The others of substance - Ameer Abdullah, Melvin Gordon, Nelson Agholor, Jameis Winston, these are the offensive gems, I may have missed one or two but I can see spot starts, match-up starts but everyday starters? If that's the case then they drafted wrong? Am I way off on this?

I don't understand. People who drafted MM, Abdullah, Agholor or Gordon didn't draft wrong at all...as long as they chose those players in the right spot.

Mariota is going to be a star in this league, maybe sooner maybe later, but he's the real deal.

Are you complaining that these people drafted these players? Or beat you with them?

Probably because there are a limited number of elite players at each position (particularly at RB due to both talent, injuries, and coaching decisions), and if you miss out on those elite, then you either have to grind it out with the usual suspects each week, or try to hit a homerun by finding the next big thing before anyone else does.

I don't understand. People who drafted MM, Abdullah, Agholor or Gordon didn't draft wrong at all...as long as they chose those players in the right spot.

Mariota is going to be a star in this league, maybe sooner maybe later, but he's the real deal.

Are you complaining that these people drafted these players? Or beat you with them?

Not complaining, just would never start rookies all the time until after the first 5 weeks, gives you a sample of what to expect? This guy picked up MM off waivers and played him, i get the Browns DE but there are solid players being benched to play shooting stars? Its ok to draft them but they shouldn't be every week starters this early in the season?

Not complaining, just would never start rookies all the time until after the first 5 weeks, gives you a sample of what to expect? This guy picked up MM off waivers and played him, i get the Browns DE but there are solid players being benched to play shooting stars? Its ok to draft them but they shouldn't be every week starters this early in the season?

Actually the guy in my league did the same thing (picked up MM and benched Dalton). Turns out he made a bad play, but because his opponent was so inept he won his week.

Two other points:

Also, rookies (especially receiver rookies) had huge years last year and fantasy leaguers left with a good taste in their mouth about rooks.

I also agree with the general point that goes "if you get a guy it doesn't mean you have to run him out in week 1". I acquired Phil Rivers after week 1 and still benched him (for Eli Manning), which turned out to be a good play. Sure, part of me was saying "man I'd really like to roll out my new toy" like those who pickup the hot new free agents, but there is smart and then there is smart. Getting good players doesn't always means starting them (depending on the situation).

I played Abdullah in week 2 over Latavius Murray. Abdullah had a good game week 1, Murray not so much. Murray faced a tough defense in week 2 (Ravens) and I had faith in Abdullah based on what I saw in his game (didn't see Raiders play week 1 but their offense didn't sound good). Turns out that was a bad decision.

Not sure I agree with some sort of hard line "don't start rookies until after X weeks. Also don't think Mariota was a bad start against the Browns, I wouldn't have expected 4TDs again, but he did ok.

I didn't see much in week 1 to warrant starting Agholor, Gordon or Winston.