[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Small Rant

Apothus

We decided to start a league at work. Since it was my idea, I was elected commisioner. I thought it'd be great fun and a chance to talk smack between departments. The draft went off without a hitch, but less than an hour after the draft trades start flying all over the place that were clearly targeting the rookies in our group. So many vetoes landed on my phone that I shut off trades until after week 1.

After week 1, turn trades back on, one guy offers a trade, another guy tells the rookie no don't do that trade, and then offers his own, doing the first guy pretty dirty. Whining ensues, threats not to play anymore, holy crap I'm a third grade teacher all of a sudden instead of commish of a Ffl.

Stupid crap makes it really annoying to be commish. Ok I vented, your turn, tell your idiot managers story

Is it a money or bragging rights league? I joined a free work league to be a part of work. The commish said it would be an auto draft, that really sucked. During the course of the league 5 of the players were fired, one walked out on the job. Another guy posted a diatribe saying he quit the league and dropped his whole team. The commish said the players could not be drafted and would remain on the WW for the rest of the season. Two weeks later the better players showed up on his team. The final coup de gras was the commissioner's wife ( was in the league ) sending out an alcohol riddled e-mail telling everyone they sucked and accusing everybody of cheating: and no I wasn't working at a Waffle House.

• Like 1

Is it a money or bragging rights league? I joined a free work league to be a part of work. The commish said it would be an auto draft, that really sucked. During the course of the league 5 of the players were fired, one walked out on the job. Another guy posted a diatribe saying he quit the league and dropped his whole team. The commish said the players could not be drafted and would remain on the WW for the rest of the season. Two weeks later the better players showed up on his team. The final coup de gras was the commissioner's wife ( was in the league ) sending out an alcohol riddled e-mail telling everyone they sucked and accusing everybody of cheating: and no I wasn't working at a Waffle House.

Sounds like you have an opening?

• Like 2

1. Eliminate owner/manager veto rights (because they are dumb) - you, as commish, should have sole veto rights and only for collusion;

2. If your owners/managers can be easily talked out of trades and into others, that's on them. That's totally fair game, by the way - they'll live and they'll learn; and

3. Post a league-wide message directed at the newbies STRONGLY ENCOURAGING that they "test the market" if they are thinking about doing a trade.

• Like 3

Had similar issues on a much smaller scale in one of my leagues. With it being all UK fans there was a number of newbies and 1/2 of the experienced guys tried to take advantage, the first trade being Jarrett Boykin for Gronk (this was about 2012 when Boykin was a backup WR for the Pack). I had a friend who wasn't in the league but he said he was happy to look over any trade for a newbie if they wanted to check they weren't being scammed, quickly ended any problems.

The only time I have ever had to veto a trade was between a husband and wife in the work league I commish. Last year, the week before the playoffs, he (not in contention) was sending TY Hilton to her (playoff seed secured) for either Nate Washington or Boykin (can't remember).

I called him up and was like 'dude, you know that's bullmanure, right?'. He was like 'yeah...I know...she just wanted Hilton really bad'. I told him it's cool, you do the good husband thing and I will do the evil overlord commish thing and deny the trade. We both laughed. I sent them both an email explaining why that can't be allowed to happen. It was her first year in FF, so I treated it as a learning experience.

League is still in tact. No hard feelings.

Edited by BA Baracus