[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper league keeper question

Easttuth

Our first year running a keeper league and a question has come up that we need help with

Our rules are players can be kept for 2 additional years for the round they were drafted. If a player is picked up off waivers they can be kept for an 8th round pick.

The question is, if a player was drafted but makes it to waivers and is picked up, has their keeper cost changed?

Understood and that's obviously one side of that equation. Let's assume what you're saying is true, if you have the #1 waiver spot for this week why wouldn't you drop Adrian Peterson and pick them back up so you can keep them in the 8th round?

I'm pretty sure you can't do that. I believe the software is setup that everyone else gets first priority over a person that you drop, so you're waiver priority on that person becomes last. I'm not sure if that mimics the NFL.

In MFL you certainly can do it ... unless you set a player lock period. In our league the players are locked for a week; i.e. once cut they have to go through a waiver period.

Understood and that's obviously one side of that equation. Let's assume what you're saying is true, if you have the #1 waiver spot for this week why wouldn't you drop Adrian Peterson and pick them back up so you can keep them in the 8th round?

That is a gap that you can address with the rules ... by adding something like when you cut a player you can't reacquire said player until a period of time, say 2 weeks, has elapsed

I agree, but it wasn't addresses before someone doing it so now we need to make a ruling on that particular transaction. My understanding was any player drafted was kept at the round they were drafted and it didn't matter what happened during the regular season. Other have played in leagues before that used the waiver rule that resets the round cost.

Guest Ted Goings

I don't think you can penalize the guy who did it if there was no rule against it. He found a grey area and exploted it. If you don't squash it now though,it could really hurt you next year if half the teams have a 1st round pick in the 8th round.

Just because the rule wasn't spelled out doesn't mean you can't reverse it. Are you the commish? If not, get the commish -- or unanimous vote aside from the offending owner -- to state that this won't be honored for 8th round pick, but rather where he was originally drafted. Give him his top waiver position back. If next year is the 3rd year for AP and thus no longer eligible for keepr, he goes back on the draft board.

It's a game. Spirit of the law is often same as letter of the law. If he refuses, he's still eligible for payouts this year but won't be invited back next year. Get someone else to take over his team.

Understood. I think this post has given the same variety of opinions our league is coming up with. I don't think the guy is trying to cheat, he just thought he found a loophole and he fully thinks everyone else will use the same loophole if his move is allowed to stand. This is our first year of keepers and we truly didn't think about this when designing the rules. We will likely just reverse it and not allow anyone to do it as it would just cause everyone to do it and then it's all useless