[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drafting Aaron Rodgers

Grits and Shins

Saw an interesting piece about the 21 teams that passed on Aaron Rodgers in his NFL draft 10 years ago. In the 10 years since he was drafted Rodgers has been to 11 playoff games, winning 6 of them including a superbowl and has 2 MVPs.

SF took Alex Smith 1st overall and paid him $50M ... Smith has been to 3 playoff games, winning 1 of them and obviously no longer plays for SF.

MIA had the 2nd pick and had been struggling to replace Marino, but passed on Rodgers for Ronnie Brown. Since that draft Miami has been through 12 QBs.

CLE had the 3rd pick and took Braylon Edwards. Since passing on Rodgers the Browns have been through 16 QBs.

TB had the 5th pick, TB was starting Brian Griese at that time ... but took Cadillac Williams.

Teams that were struggling with QBs all passed on Rodgers, including OAK who passed on Rodgers to take Fabian Washington. Since that day the Raiders have been through 16 QBs, including JaMarcus Russell with a $40M price tag.

Division rivals CHI, MIN and DET all had top 10 picks that year and all passed on Rodgers. Minnesota even passed on Rodgers TWICE. Since that day Rodger is 31-9 against his division rival teams.

Since that day, those 21 that teams passed on Rodgers have gone through 201 starting QBs, 78 HCs, and 53 GMs.

Finally with the 24th pick GB took Aaron Rodgers and signed him to a $7M deal.

17 of the 23 players taken before Rodgers are now out of the league.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

Well to be fair the Vikes had the ancient Brad Johnson and the injured and declining Culpepper at QB. To make them more dominating we drafted sure handed speedster Troy Williamson and then took legendary pass rusher Erasmus James. That draft made the franchise what it is today. :bag:

So sad

In 2005, the 'Skins took Carlos Rogers at #9 overall...yes, the same CB who could not catch a cold while in DC, but then went on to SF in 2011 to post 6 picks...LOL

anyway, they missed out on the "other Rodgers" who was selected by GB at #24 overall...the 'Skins took Jason Campbell at #25...however, I am 100% convinced that if Aaron did land with the 'Skins instead of the Pack, his career would either a) be over, now, just like Jason's, or b ) he would've lasted there for about 3 years, floundering (and, assuming he wasn't killed by sacks), until he was traded or released, whereby he would ultimately become the superstar he is, today! lol

Edited by the outlaw

i think also being a back up for the legend Favre was a huge reason he is as successful as he is now.

Agreed. It's so hard to know what would have been had he gone somewhere else. Guys don't get drafted in the 1st round and then sit for 4 years before starting anymore. If you are drafted in the 1st round as QB now you either are starting your 1st or 2nd year.

Saw an interesting piece about the 21 teams that passed on Aaron Rodgers in his NFL draft 10 years ago. In the 10 years since he was drafted Rodgers has been to 11 playoff games, winning 6 of them including a superbowl and has 2 MVPs.

SF took Alex Smith 1st overall and paid him $50M ... Smith has been to 3 playoff games, winning 1 of them and obviously no longer plays for SF.

MIA had the 2nd pick and had been struggling to replace Marino, but passed on Rodgers for Ronnie Brown. Since that draft Miami has been through 12 QBs.

CLE had the 3rd pick and took Braylon Edwards. Since passing on Rodgers the Browns have been through 16 QBs.

TB had the 5th pick, TB was starting Brian Griese at that time ... but took Cadillac Williams.

Teams that were struggling with QBs all passed on Rodgers, including OAK who passed on Rodgers to take Fabian Washington. Since that day the Raiders have been through 16 QBs, including JaMarcus Russell with a $40M price tag.

Division rivals CHI, MIN and DET all had top 10 picks that year and all passed on Rodgers. Minnesota even passed on Rodgers TWICE. Since that day Rodger is 31-9 against his division rival teams.

Since that day, those 21 that teams passed on Rodgers have gone through 201 starting QBs, 78 HCs, and 53 GMs.

Finally with the 24th pick GB took Aaron Rodgers and signed him to a $7M deal.

17 of the 23 players taken before Rodgers are now out of the league.

:kicksrock::crybaby:

Good article. Really puts it in perspective.

I remember Rodgers sitting there by himself at the draft waiting to be picked. Felt sorry for him but he's getting the last laugh.

Oakland drafted Fabian Washington one pick before Rodgers.

Then just two years later in 2007, because they needed a QB, they took Jamarcus Russell. Over Calvin Johnson.

The year before Rodgers the Raiders drafted Robert Gallery over Larry Fitzgerald.

THAT is what made the Raiders what they are today.

Edited by flemingd
  • Like 1

:kicksrock::crybaby:

Good article. Really puts it in perspective.

I remember Rodgers sitting there by himself at the draft waiting to be picked. Felt sorry for him but he's getting the last laugh.

Didnt Rodgers say something like "Those teams that passed on me are going to regret it" right after he was drafted ?

“The Lord has been teaching me a lot of humility and patience. He kind of threw both of those in my face today.”

“Good things happen to those who wait.”

“I still think I’m the best quarterback in this draft.”

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/aaron-rodgerss-very-long-draft-day/

WOW, that is an average of 10 starting QBs, 3-4 HCs and 2-3 GMs over 10 years for each of those teams. Obviously the Browns, Raiders and some other perpetual sucking teams have increased those numbers.

The Browns have drafted 2 QBs that fell in the draft in similar spots, with Quinn and Manziel going at 1.22, Quinn was a failure and we're not yet sure about Manziel. Braylon Edwards was actually a good pick, or appeared to be early on. The Browns needed a talened WR and drafted Charlie Frye in the 3rd round that year. 2005 was the beginning of yet another regime for the Browns, when Butch Davis (HC & GM) was replaced by Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage. We fans actually had some hope back then, 10 years later things are still a mess.

I still think there are some situations where even Aaron Rodgers would have struggled to succeed especially if he started right away.

100% agree, like in the scenario I posted, above, IF he had fallen one more pick to the Redskins, he would have been thrust into the starting role immediately and completely obliterated by one of the worst o-lines in the league...everyone thinks the "marquee QB" is the answer to all of a team's problems (and, I'm not going to disagree that a team needs one), but you have to build the foundation, first...just like building a house, you need strong support, underneath...

• Like 2

100% agree, like in the scenario I posted, above, IF he had fallen one more pick to the Redskins, he would have been thrust into the starting role immediately and completely obliterated by one of the worst o-lines in the league...everyone thinks the "marquee QB" is the answer to all of a team's problems (and, I'm not going to disagree that a team needs one), but you have to build the foundation, first...just like building a house, you need strong support, underneath...

David Carr's situation with the Texans being an extreme example of a case where I doubt an elite QB would have really succeeded. Cleveland seem to be a hot mess who've burned through a number of highly touted QBs from college since the city had a team again.

as a 49ers fan, i am not convinced that Rodgers would have succeeded in SF at the time. They had a lot of holes to fill and any qb would have taken their lumps. I also do not believe that smith would have excelled to Rodgers' level if he were drafted by GB, but would not have taken him as long to develop into a C+, game manager we see him as today.

I think one of the things that made Rodgers as successful as he has been is the fact that he had an opportunity to grow into the role and wasn't thrust into a starting role his first year in the league.

i absolutely agree, but unfortunately I believe the days of that model are LONG gone...there's too much pressure on teams to win NOW, and everyone thinks the answer is to take a marquee QB in the first round, then throw him into the fire right off the bat...if not his first year, then 2nd (unless, I guess, your name is Johnny Football)... LOL