[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Martavis Bryant

InTomWeTrust

idk about 10 years, maybe 15, 20... idk. it's already either legal or decriminalized in 19 states. not medical - normal Josh Gordon - it's not a crime in 19 states. that's almost half the country. plus several will probably be added in november.

point is, the tide has long since turned and it's not going back imo, which leads to two basic issues for the NFL:

one, since it's more socially acceptable, more people (especially younger people, which contains the next generation of NFL players) will smoke. this is reflected in the 700% increase in the number of suspensions from 2005-2015. if this trend continues, that's going to be a major problem simply because too many players will be getting suspended, and I don't see how the NFL will be able to deal with it other than loosening the regulations in some way.

two, when a major player (or two... or ten) gets suspended and it ruins a super bowl contender or something like that, the public outcry would be overwhelming for the NFL, at least I think. maybe not the first time. maybe it'll take two, or three, or eight times. but this type of situation could easily effect their profits imo. they'd buckle as quick as they buckled to pressure from other situations like i talked about before (imo, but if you disagree that's cool).

the key word here that you don't seem to think is very important is 'consistently.'

you're of course right - a player could choose to drink or smoke their self to death. but they're given that choice because the NFL is not their mommy. they're adults and are expected to take personal responsibility for their actions - if they can manage to drink and smoke heavily, it's of course unlikely that they'll play well, but i'm sure some have pulled it off. either way, it's their prerogative. if a player drinks or smokes lightly/occasionally or during the offseason, it's unlikely to effect their play, and that's also their choice. or, if Russell Wilson wants to drink a beer once in his life, then again, totally up to him.

but if Russell (who does live in a place where the the old wacky tobacky is 100% legal by the way) wanted to share a Josh Gordon cigarette with Ciara instead of drinking a few beers, that'd get him suspended. does that seem right to you?

Yes it does. They are paid millions in a deal that was bargained for on their behalf and they agreed to. If they want to change that, bargain for it.

My whole "consistently" is being bent for far more than it is. Only trying to point out that it is a drug with negative effects. Just because you believe it is less damaging then alcohol or cigarettes doesn't make it a good thing.

Legal vs. decriminalized are very different two things. Being able to walk into a store and buy pot (without a prescription) is vastly different from buying it on the street and not being locked up for possession. BTW in some places posession of paraphenalia is a bigger crime (and can land you in jail) than having the pot.

So of those 19 states only 2 that I know of (WA & CO) have made it legal, in the other 17 its still illegal in many ways.

I agree with Def. this will not just change automatically because it is more accepted, the NFLPA will need to fight for it, if they and their members really want it. I still think that will look bad and not be done so long as there are many places (with NFL teams and fans) where it is not legal.

• 3 weeks later...

Bryant has probably played his last down in a Steelers uniform. They will most likely trade him, or cut him if they cannot get a deal done once he is cleared to play. It's a real shame, dude could be a too 5 we in the NFL, now he will never fulfill that potential.

Only real knuckleheaded morons get caught, they all know when they are going to be tested and all they have to do is lay off it for a couple of weeks and flush it out of their system. What a waste.

Edited by DiehardSteeler

Bryant has probably played his last down in a Steelers uniform. They will most likely trade him, or cut him if they cannot get a deal done once he is cleared to play. It's a real shame, dude could be a too 5 we in the NFL, now he will never fulfill that potential.

Only real knuckleheaded morons get caught, they all know when they are going to be tested and all they have to do is lay off it for a couple of weeks and flush it out of their system. What a waste.

Curious what you mean by they all know when they're going to get tested. Are they gien several weeks notice? Maybe that applies to the average NFL player, but I know from reading up on Josh Gordon that he was being called or texted and would have to be at an approved testing facility within hours. There was no weeks notice, but then he was subject to more random testing and many more times (I heard up to 12 times a monght).

Curious what you mean by they all know when they're going to get tested. Are they gien several weeks notice? Maybe that applies to the average NFL player, but I know from reading up on Josh Gordon that he was being called or texted and would have to be at an approved testing facility within hours. There was no weeks notice, but then he was subject to more random testing and many more times (I heard up to 12 times a monght).

Once you are in the program the tests are random, before then it is once a year. It is in the collective bargaining agreement, it is once a year and they have plenty of advance notice. Anyone that fails this drug test is an absolute idiot.