[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL rule against batting ball out of Endzone?

Cowboyz1

Heard some commentary on the on the way to work this morning, on local Seattle radio (Brock Huard and some other schmuck). If what they said is correct, it has to do with which team is batting the ball out of bounds. It's against the rules for a defensive player to bat the ball intentionally out of bounds. So, yeah, technically, K.J. Wright should have been penalized on that play. From what I heard this morning, though, it is not a penalty for an offensive player to bat the ball out of bounds. In other words, the team who last had possession can knock it out, but not the other team.

No idea if that is correct, but it would make sense (since, like others have said, punters/QB's do it frequently with no penalty).

As for last night's play, I'm guessing that, if there had been a Lions player in the vicinity (within a few feet of Wright), a flag would have been thrown. The ref put his hand on the flag, but didn't pull it.... I got the impression that he consciously decided to "swallow the whistle" there. Technically speaking, he missed the call. But, in the spirit of letting them play, and letting the players decide the game, one could argue that he did the right thing. The ball was going out of bounds regardless, and there was zero chance that the Lions were recovering that fumble.

I'm not saying that that's right or wrong, but it's something to think about. In basketball, we talk all the time about letting them play, and not deciding a game on a ticky tack touch foul. One could argue that the same thing applies here, to some extent. Again, I'm not saying that the ref(s) got it right. Technically, they did not. But, I don't think they "missed" the call so much as they chose not to call it, given the circumstances.

Sucks for the Lions, but Chancellor made a great play. On the other hand, Wright should know the rules. Not knowing the rules (Chris Webber, Donovan McNabb) is no excuse, and it usually burns you. Wright and the Seahawks got awfully lucky.

• Like 1

Gopher,

That makes sense, including the part about the ref eating the whistle. I don't agree with that style of officiatin, just like the ones (especially in basketball) that see a clear foul, then only blow the whistle if the shot doesn't go in (you hear the whistle after the shot misses, its pretty clear it didn't take him that long to react).

Was that on TMZ or the onion? Why would it matter what Wright is telling somebody in an interview, is the NFL going to overturn the play and result, or fine him for being honest. Carroll sounds like a real control freak.

was actually on cbssports.com

Yeah, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if QB's/punters get away with it, necessarily, or if the punishment (penalty) is just a better option than giving up a touchdown. The difference might be in the penalty. If the offense does it (from their own EZ), it's a safety. If the defense does it, the offense would retain the ball (and still be in position to score a TD, basically).

Yeah, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if QB's/punters get away with it, necessarily, or if the punishment (penalty) is just a better option than giving up a touchdown. The difference might be in the penalty. If the offense does it (from their own EZ), it's a safety. If the defense does it, the offense would retain the ball (and still be in position to score a TD, basically).

i think you're on to something, there... :tup:

But we don't even see a flag thrown, the call announced and "declined", so that means they are not calling the penalty. Or maybe I'm just not paying that close attention. Does seem strange that a lot of comments in many venues were "hmm I've seen QB/punter do that and not get flagged." Maybe the refs just rarely notice it or don't call it like the one last night figuring "the penalty will be declined so why bother".

How many more crazy ways can we see games end.

I'm sensing a point of emphasis next season

Like the piling on after the tackle. There was a play in the game last night where fans and players got upset because a SEA runner was nailed while laying on top of multiple DET players. I think the DET guy who nailed him knew it was legal, thought the guy may have let up and he might be able to knock the ball out. Fans starting moaning not realizing it, and I think Tirico pointed out "legal hit, runner wasn't down yet".

But we don't even see a flag thrown, the call announced and "declined", so that means they are not calling the penalty. Or maybe I'm just not paying that close attention. Does seem strange that a lot of comments in many venues were "hmm I've seen QB/punter do that and not get flagged." Maybe the refs just rarely notice it or don't call it like the one last night figuring "the penalty will be declined so why bother".

How many more crazy ways can we see games end.

well, DET definitely wouldn't have declined the penalty if it had been correctly called, as the penalty would have given them the ball on the 6-inch line with another chance to score (instead of the touchback that was called, giving SEA the ball on the 20)...the back judge either didn't know the rule, or he did know the rule, but for whatever insane reason, didn't feel the need to throw the flag...i'm guessing he won't be assigned to call any games in DET, anytime soon (or, ever!)...although that would be an interesting punishment...make him go to DET to call their next home game...let the fans dole out a little "renegade justice"... Edited by the outlaw

well, DET definitely wouldn't have declined the penalty if it had been correctly called, as the penalty would have given them the ball on the 6-inch line with another chance to score (instead of the touchback that was called, giving SEA the ball on the 20)...the back judge either didn't know the rule, or he did know the rule, but for whatever insane reason, didn't feel the need to throw the flag...i'm guessing he won't be assigned to call any games in DET, anytime soon (or, ever!)...although that would be an interesting punishment...make him go to DET to call their next home game...let the fans dole out a little "renegade justice"...

When I mentioned them not calling it because the penalty would be declined I meant calling it on a QB or punter doing it. The result of the ball going out of the EZ is a safety in those cases, the penalty would allow them to run the play over, their opponent will decline and take the safety.

I'm sure Lions fans would be all over him if he was working one of their games again, but its bound to happen eventually (I doubt the league pays much attention to this stuff when assigning officials).