[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Karlos Williams in Concussion Protocol....ughhhhhhhh

the outlaw

Guest Ted Goings

If they wanted to avoid injuries, they should have gotten an office job. They play football with guys that stand 6'8" and weigh 350 pounds. No one was deceived into thinking that football was a safe job. Some of them make more money in one game than I will in 5 years.

I'm getting sick of this Life is Supposed to be Safe and Fair crap. Life is compromise. You want the rush of flying a fighter jet, you accept the risk that you might get shot down. You want the money that comes with the NFL, you accept that the next play could cripple you for life.

I don't want that for anyone, but I accept that injuries are part of the game. Next thing you know, they will all be out there in Bubble Boy suits.

Edited by Ted Goings

If they wanted to avoid injuries, they should have gotten an office job. They play football with guys that stand 6'8" and weigh 350 pounds. No one was deceived into thinking that football was a safe job. Some of them make more money in one game than I will in 5 years.

I'm getting sick of this Life is Supposed to be Safe and Fair crap. Life is compromise. You want the rush of flying a fighter jet, you accept the risk that you might get shot down. You want the money that comes with the NFL, you accept that the next play could cripple you for life.

I don't want that for anyone, but I accept that injuries are part of the game. Next thing you know, they will all be out there in Bubble Boy suits.

That is a pretty barbaric attitude. I like a good hard hitting game as much as the next guy, but I don't need to see players being carted off the field on stretchers to be satisfied. And I don't need them to turn their brains into mush to be satisfied.

• Like 1

That is a pretty barbaric attitude. I like a good hard hitting game as much as the next guy, but I don't need to see players being carted off the field on stretchers to be satisfied. And I don't need them to turn their brains into mush to be satisfied.

I agree on the concussions, and not to hijack but there are a lot of players that sit with minor injuries that should absolutely be playing. Especially for the $ they are making

Guest Ted Goings

We are obviously coming from two different places. I don't want to see anyone get carted off the field either. I got carted off the field. It sucks. Having said that, I think that the NFL is worse for playing it safe and losing the barbarian attitude. You are trying to take something that is inherently unsafe and trying to fit it into a safe box. If you want to play a safe sport, there is a golf course in every city in America. The NFL has no more "Oh Crap, did you see that hit?" moments and never will again...at least not without being penalized because the receiver was defenseless. What a load of poo. That is the game..or it was.

I appreciate your opinion and basically agree. Nobody wants to see players get hurt but they DO know what they are getting into. We should feel bad for the early generation NFL players who got paid peanuts and got bruised and battered purely for the love of the game. The same guys who had no help from the NFL when they were old and crippled. These players now have it made and they chose their profession knowing the risks.

Our service men and women put their life on the line to protect what we perceive to be 'freedom'. If you're going to feel bad for a group of folks, feel bad for them because they get paid much, much less.

Edited by Brentastic

Guest Ted Goings

I appreciate your opinion and basically agree. Nobody wants to see players get hurt but they DO know what they are getting into. We should feel bad for the early generation NFL players who got paid peanuts and got bruised and battered purely for the love of the game. The same guys who had no help from the NFL when they were old and crippled. These players now have it made and they chose their profession knowing the risks.

Our service men and women put their life on the line to protect what we perceive to be 'freedom'. If you're going to feel bad for a group of folks, feel bad for them because they get paid much, much less.

Oh, I do, man. Soldiers, teachers, nurses...all seriously under compensated considering the responsibility that goes with those jobs. Unfortunately, their jobs aren't entertaining enough to get a shoe deal.

I appreciate that concussions are bad, blah, blah, blah. I hate that the words "concussion protocol" are used in the same sentence. These teams are making so much money that the safest equippment and the best doctors are standard. Every player is making at least a half a million a year, and still they cry about a headache. We will never see another Ronnie Lott, Lawrence Taylor, or Steve Atwater, and Ray Nitschke is laughing at all of you.

Don't forget such studs as Junior Seau, Dave Duerson or Mike Webster.

Guest Ted Goings

Don't forget such studs as Junior Seau, Dave Duerson or Mike Webster.

Is this the part where I am supposed to name all the players who walked away healthy? What about the linemen who have all had multiple knee surgeries? How about the quarterbacks whose shoulders are so blown that they can't pick up their kids? Should we limit throws to under 20 yards?

I get that you guys are all compassionate people. That is truly a great thing. This is football. It is violent. That's how it got to be the most popular sport in America. We are about ten years away from two hand touch.

Edited by Ted Goings

Guest Ted Goings

I'm never criticizing a player for sitting with concussion issues.

I played Rugby at semi-professional level in the UK but retired at 23 after suffering 4 concussions in just 18 months. The long term affects are never worth it, I guarantee.

That is absolutely a player's choice that I support. It's the league mandated concussion protocol that I have an issue with. These are grown men. Are you their moms now? Scared of lawsuits? You're in the wrong business.

I don't think anyone feels "sorry" for current NFL players .... I sure as hell don't. They are grown men, making their own decisions, and getting paid a manuree ton for it.

But that's a lot different than sitting behind your tv and saying that unless they are getting concussed they aren't doing their jobs.

• Like 1

Everyone on the Boobie train this week?

nope - i'm going to try and avoid that backfield this week, if at all possible (might be difficult, though) - while Boobie is expected to start, Boom is now projected to received the majority of touches, so who knows what will actually happen? shaping up to be a mess...

and, for the record on the other topic, I can most assuredly guarantee you that Karlos Williams is not making $millions to play this game on a rookie's salary...i understand that point about how these guys enter the game at their own peril, but unfortunately, there are many of them who do not know anything else, but how to play football...

You're a jackass plain and simple and probably suffering from brian damage from the concussions you got early in life.

As somebody else, their job is not to get injured playing the game.You sound jealous and angry that they've made it to the NFL and you never got close. Who gives a flying (the really bad word) how much they get paid and how that relates to your pathetic income. You should have gotten a better job if you wanted to make more money.

I follow motorcycle road racing, there is a saying (in most motorsports) "if you're not crashing sometimes you're not pushing hard enough". But I don't watch for crashes, I don't watch for injuries, I've seen guys fall and hit a barrier and die, or get run over by another bike and die. That is not the sport.

Congrats, you've won yourself a spot on my ignore list, if this is a sample of your twisted thoughts I have no desire to read more of them.

Guest Ted Goings

You're a jackass plain and simple and probably suffering from brian damage from the concussions you got early in life.

As somebody else, their job is not to get injured playing the game.You sound jealous and angry that they've made it to the NFL and you never got close. Who gives a flying smoochie how much they get paid and how that relates to your pathetic income. You should have gotten a better job if you wanted to make more money.

I follow motorcycle road racing, there is a saying (in most motorsports) "if you're not crashing sometimes you're not pushing hard enough". But I don't watch for crashes, I don't watch for injuries, I've seen guys fall and hit a barrier and die, or get run over by another bike and die. That is not the sport.

Congrats, you've won yourself a spot on my ignore list, if this is a sample of your twisted thoughts I have no desire to read more of them.

It is my pleasure to be ignored by you. I am sorry that you feel the need to resort to personal insults to defend your position. For the record, everyone's income is pathetic next to these guys.

I don't watch football rooting for injuries. I do watch football rooting for hard hits from the defense. That is their job.

As somebody else, their job is not to get injured playing the game.You sound jealous and angry that they've made it to the NFL and you never got close. Who gives a flying smoochie how much they get paid and how that relates to your pathetic income. You should have gotten a better job if you wanted to make more money.

:weird:

I don't agree with Ted's position at all, but he's not being a raging a-hole about it. Definitely not a tool like the guy from the Foster thread - seems like some emotion from there is spilling over into here.

That is absolutely a player's choice that I support. It's the league mandated concussion protocol that I have an issue with. These are grown men. Are you their moms now? Scared of lawsuits? You're in the wrong business.

Who is in the wrong business - the league/owners? Not sure what this is trying to say but do you expect the owners to sit back and just absorb the lawsuits, negative press, etc., without doing anything? They were getting torn to pieces with huge potential liabilities out there - these are very real concerns for any operating business. If anyone is "in the wrong business" it's the players who suffer concussions and then hide them, fight tooth and nail to get back on the field and THEN sue the league down the line. Maybe that's what you meant - I can understand finding that a little ridiculous.

I don't agree with Ted's position at all, but he's not being a raging a-hole about it. Definitely not a tool like the guy from the Foster thread - seems like some emotion from there is spilling over into here.

Agreed. I did just read that Foster thread, though - pretty dang entertaining (hypocrites and fools generally are).

Obviously I disagree. Didn't say he should be banned, just that I'll be ignoring him. I agree he isn't a tool like Phenix and others, but he is an a-hole with his attitudes about injuries and player safety. Just because the NFL is dangerous doesn't mean nothing should be done to improve safety. Players can still be crippled and even die with all the "safety measures" in place.

Guest Ted Goings

Who is in the wrong business - the league/owners? Not sure what this is trying to say but do you expect the owners to sit back and just absorb the lawsuits, negative press, etc., without doing anything? They were getting torn to pieces with huge potential liabilities out there - these are very real concerns for any operating business. If anyone is "in the wrong business" it's the players who suffer concussions and then hide them, fight tooth and nail to get back on the field and THEN sue the league down the line. Maybe that's what you meant - I can understand finding that a little ridiculous.

I do find that ridiculous, for all the personal responsibility reasons that I've stated, but I am talking about the owners. I wouldn't say that I expect them to absorb the lawsuits, as I feel that the lawsuits are frivolous, but I would say that I expect them to not cave to demands that water down the game. Man up, and include a waiver in every contract that puts the responsibility for accepting injury risks on the player. They don't want to sign it, they should get a different job. Right now the owners are on a path to owning a powder puff flag football team in the not too distant future because of the concessions that they are making.