[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trade Guidelines

grgunderson

A trade was proposed in my league and is set to be processed on Tuesday, after Week 5's games. One of the owners is requesting that the LM expedite it so that he can play his acquisition on Sunday.

Should it be expedited or should he have to wait? He doesn't have another player to replace him on his roster but he still can go to the waivers and play his new guy the following week.

Rule #1: What do the rules say?

this.

but.....assuming you had some sort of default league settings on whatever site you play on and never considered that they lock once games on Thur start, you may need to amend your current rules, in-season, assuming the rest of the league is OK with it.

It's via ESPN and the rosters don't lock after thurs games, they lock @ the start of each game. He still has time to pick up someone off waiver before sun.

then his trade should process now and not Tue unless some sort of default league settings on whatever site you play on and never considered that they lock once games on Thur start, you may need to amend your current rules, in-season, assuming the rest of the league is OK with it.

Did one of the players play on Thur? There is no reason it should wait until Tue otherwise.

• Like 2

It's Charles Clay for Melvin Gordon, so neither have played yet. I am assuming its saying tuesday bc the trade was made on Fri and ESPN's default rules say that it is a 2 day review period. So the trade would go through after the buffalo game started.

Edited by grgunderson

That has to be the reason why. It gives the other owners ample time to review the trade. It's unfortunate that his current TE was ruled out on Fri but they, taco happens.

(the really bad word) the other owners. They have nothing to do with the trade...this is ESPN default setting BS. Process the man's trade.

I actually hate amending rules mid season just for the benefit of one owner. Especially an owner who should have seen clear as day that the trade would be processed on Tuesday. It's part of managing your team and regardless of if 2 days is viewed as too long, it was not an issue I assume until this trade came up.

This being said I would still talk to the two teams the owners are facing this week, as they will be directly affected by this amendment. If they are okay with it then change the review period to 1 day.

• Like 1

From my leagues' by-laws:

¨ Late trades: Trades accepted Friday through Saturday at 8:00pm (“Late Trades”) will be manually processed on Sunday morning, if possible, and will be effective for Sunday's games. Processing Late Trades in time for Sunday’s games is not guaranteed. Managers should check after 8:00pm on Saturday to see if any Late Trades have been posted. Protests to Late Trades must be announced on the league message board by Saturday 11:00pm Eastern time. At least two protests against a Late Trade are required to postpone it from being processed pending Commissioner review. Trades posted after 8:00pm on Saturday are subject to the normal 2-day waiting period and will be effective for the following week’s games. For Thursday night games, trades accepted by Wednesday at 8:00pm Eastern time will be processed before Thursday’s kickoff, absent protests.

Edited by Dcat

You can't change the rules mid-season, opens a whole other can of worms to change other rules IMO. Chalk it up to a proposed rule change for next year and unfortunately the owners will have to live with it, they should have known the rules and the deadlines. If they didn't they will surely know them for the rest of the season.

Agreed, that rule is kind of crappy, but it is the rule everyone needs to live by.

You can't change the rules mid-season, opens a whole other can of worms to change other rules IMO. Chalk it up to a proposed rule change for next year and unfortunately the owners will have to live with it, they should have known the rules and the deadlines. If they didn't they will surely know them for the rest of the season.

Agreed, that rule is kind of crappy, but it is the rule everyone needs to live by.

I disagree. If the whole league agrees to a rule change I don't see a problem. The issue was mainly caused because no one checked the default settings until now. This comes up in a lot of leagues that don't check the setting defaults on websites. But if everyone agrees that the default is stupid, change it.

• Like 2

You set your rules and play by em.

Our league has 1 IR spot for a player listed as OUT. Early in the season I had one team in the league with like 7 guys injured and I SO wanted to amend it to help this cat out. But that's not right. Thankfully, he managed things and some of his injured players ended up playing, but making a change in mid stream is terrible idea.

Presuming neither party explicitly knew the rules since they were just the default ones on ESPN, you'd assume the trade was done with both playing expecting their new acquisition to play this week.

The guy who got Charles Clay might be quite happy about the two day wait now though.

Presuming neither party explicitly knew the rules since they were just the default ones on ESPN, you'd assume the trade was done with both playing expecting their new acquisition to play this week.

The guy who got Charles Clay might be quite happy about the two day wait now though.

I was thinking the same thing.

At the end of the day it was a trivial issue. They missed the window by 7 and some change hours. Had someone presented a valid argument, I might have pushed it through. The thing that really irked me was his rationale. He made a mistake by not checking/knowing the rules and his logic was:

"The reason why you should expedite it is because I need him for tomorrow."

No.

• Like 1