[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commish Approved This...Would You?

Rebel Alliance

I am wondering if you, as commish, would approve this trade? This was approved in one of my 14 team locals.

Team #1 (3-1) Gives RB David Johnson, ARI and WR Mike Evans, TBB

Team #2 (1-3) Gives WR Dez Bryant, DAL (injured) and TE Vernon Davis, SFO (injured)

Team #1 states they have WR depth and added in Johnson because Team #2 has Ellington who has been dinged.

Team #1 immediately dropped TE Vernon Davis and picked up someone off of waiver wire.

I would be interested in your thoughts. Team #1 is the Commish.

I don't think it is the job of the commissioner to review and approve trades. Largely because I don't believe the commissioner has access to any more knowledge/data than the rest of the league and therefore his valuation of player's future values is no better than anybody else's.

Having said that trading injured players for healthy players, especially players with long term injuries seems very suspicious to me.

• Like 1

I don't think it is the job of the commissioner to review and approve trades. Largely because I don't believe the commissioner has access to any more knowledge/data than the rest of the league and therefore his valuation of player's future values is no better than anybody else's.

Having said that trading injured players for healthy players, especially players with long term injuries seems very suspicious to me.

I agree to an extent with you about the Commish approving trades if two teams agree to the deal. However the Commish was one of the teams involved in the trade.

I gave Hillman for Dez earlier this wk. Shady? Hell no. Reports ( who knows if they're right) are that Dez will be back at the lower end of the estimate he was given before surgery

I understand a team with depth may be looking to set themselves up later in the season ... There is a ton of uncertainty involved when injured players will return and how effective they will be after they return. My initial reaction when a player on a long term injury is traded is suspicion. Obviously is it one of those things that could pay off big if the team getting the injured player can still perform without the healthy players being traded away AND if the injured player comes back when expected AND the injured player performs as expected.

The other thing that makes me suspicious is the immediate drop of one of the players involved in the trade ... that essentially makes this trade David Johnson + Mike Evans for Dez Bryant ... I do get that some leagues require even trades and Vernon David may have only been involved to make the trade even.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I agree to an extent with you about the Commish approving trades if two teams agree to the deal. However the Commish was one of the teams involved in the trade.

Commissioners and/or leagues should not have the power to veto trades. If you are in a league where the commissioner is not behaving in a manner you believe is on the up-and-up then either you make it your last year in that league, you petition for a new commissioner the next year, or you tighten up the rules.

I understand a team with depth may be looking to set themselves up later in the season ... There is a ton of uncertainty involved when injured players will return and how effective they will be after they return. My initial reaction when a player on a long term injury is traded is suspicion. Obviously is it one of those things that could pay off big if the team getting the injured player can still perform without the healthy players being traded away AND if the injured player comes back when expected AND the injured player performs as expected.

The other thing that makes me suspicious is the immediate drop of one of the players involved in the trade ... that essentially makes this trade David Johnson + Mike Evans for Dez Bryant ... I do get that some leagues require even trades and Vernon David may have only been involved to make the trade even.

eh..I get it. Some people like to gamble. I have no prob with it. I assumed Davis was a throw in to make roster space , I've dropped players right after trading for them before.

I see nothing wrong with this trade. What's the record of the team giving up Dez? I bet he has a losing record, and therefore, it's not worth it for him to hold onto Dez. So, he trades him for a WR1 and a low end RB3 with tons of upside to help him now. I think it was a fair trade and a good deal for both sides.