[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Chip Kelly's Offense"

pun

Part of the experiment is him thinking he doesn't need star players on offense. He thinks he can use players who aren't stars but fit his system. He wants several interchangeable players he can rotate to keep them fresh or if they get injured. If the offense does well with cheap players and few draft picks, it'll be awesome for the defense because he will be using more draft picks and money on the defense. In the last 2 years, he has used 10 draft picks on defense and 3 draft picks on offense (all wrs) and gotten rid of 4 high-priced, pro-bowl caliber players (Mathis, McCoy, Jackson, Maclin) on offense.

His offensive philosophy includes running the offense at a super fast pace with a lot of runs and fresh players. He wants his players to have a good work ethic and be in tip-top shape. He wants to wear out the defense. He wants his wide receivers to be able to block downfield to help the run game (probably why Riley Cooper was kept after his n-bomb meltdown). He wants the quarterback to make a lot of quick throws to keep the momentum fast. Part of his fast paced, run-first philosophy is to run the quarterback option, but he hasn't had a quarterback capable of doing that, yet. Don't be surprised if Kaepernick is an Eagle next year. Or if Kelly jumps ship and goes to Tennessee to be reunited with Mariota.

Good write-up on the offense and Chip Kelly's philosophy. You kind of touched on what I was saying the experiment is, with him releasing pro bowl players to get "his" guys in the system. This all works into the overall Chip Kelly experiment I was referring to which is the Eagles pretty much making Chip Kelly the GM and saying, "go do whatever you want to the roster just help us win". While they are 4-4 and they have a pretty good chance of making the playoffs I think that's more because of their division than much else. If they were in the AFC East, North, or West or the NFC North, South, or West they'd have a large uphill climb to even make a wild card.

• Like 1

thank you that was really informative.

it actually makes sense IMO. it's almost like, instead of running back by committee - offense by committee (except for the QB and maybe the line) - have lots of basically interchangeable backs (i guess this is why both demarco and mathews have been putting up solid numbers), WRs, TEs, and maybe linemen too (idk). It's treating each player almost as just a body and making "skill players" irrelevant. Kinda sucks from a fantasy prospective but not a bad idea IMO from a winning football games prospective.

Of course yeah you'd probably need at least more than one skill player (DeMarco), and I guess they thought they had that with Matthews (maybe they still do?). And of course you'd need a better QB than Bradford, but then again I think most offenses would prefer a better QB than Bradford.

If I were running a team and wanted that I wouldn't trade for Bradford, getting rid of a guy that was part of a pair of QBs who did better than the guy I traded for.

Simply put this is not college football and Chip has a big ego. I'm learning stuff here that tells me more about what it is he wants to do, and the more I hear the more I think its doomed to failure in the NFL.

Great coaching and talent may not be equal, but they're both important.

I don't like Chip Kelly that much because he does appear to have a "chip" on his shoulder, but I haven't counted out his system just yet. The right QB may change that teams outlook dramatically.

If I were running a team and wanted that I wouldn't trade for Bradford, getting rid of a guy that was part of a pair of QBs who did better than the guy I traded for.

Simply put this is not college football and Chip has a big ego. I'm learning stuff here that tells me more about what it is he wants to do, and the more I hear the more I think its doomed to failure in the NFL.

I do see that a lot of this "Chip Kelly's experiment" meme has a lot to do with people not liking Chip Kelly as a person and the perception that he has an ego.

I don't quite see how his offensive philosophy is like, "trying to be college football" though. Probably because I don't watch and have never watched college football. Is that because he wants to do options?

I do see that a lot of this "Chip Kelly's experiment" meme has a lot to do with people not liking Chip Kelly as a person and the perception that he has an ego.

I don't quite see how his offensive philosophy is like, "trying to be college football" though. Probably because I don't watch and have never watched college football. Is that because he wants to do options?

I never watch College either...I think he just has an over simplified system and teams figure him out easier at a more competetive level...

Philly in general is going through a transformation....

The Sixers started a rebuild the way you're supposed to and are now the whipping boys of the local and national media....

the Phillies have now stolen the Sixers blueprint for a rebuild and are running with that...

the Flyers are doing Flyers things but I like the personnel they have in place..

The Eagles are going to be doing what the Sixers and Phillies are now doing but it won't happen for another 2-3 years at the earliest, but I believe it is easier to accomplish this in the NFL in a reasonable time than it is in Basketball and Baseball....

so around 2022 Philly might have some really good sports to watch!............CAN'T WAIT! :unsure:

Perception that he has an ego? Surely you jest.

I don't watch much college football but have heard many people talking about how he is trying to replicate what his team was built around at Oregon. michaelredd here posted some good analysis now, which addresses some of that. Getting rid of most of your talent, sending a decent QB off in a trade for one most thought was washed up and injury prone, and who isn't panning out, all this points to failure. Certainly worse now than they were when he took over.

Them being in the playoff hunt is as somebody else said more about playing in a crappy division. Panthers won a division at 7-8-1, nobody would have argued they were good (they beat the Cards without Palmer in the first game).

I don't watch and have never watched college football.

I never watch College either

I don't watch much college football

Entirely off topic, but can any of you tell me why? I greatly prefer college sports to professional (except baseball), and am curious as to why you love the NFL, but don't watch college. You're missing out on things like Demaryius Thomas burning Kam Chancellor on a fake punt in a GT/Clemson game, so you don't know that history when Denver plays Seattle in the SB.

Entirely off topic, but can any of you tell me why? I greatly prefer college sports to professional (except baseball), and am curious as to why you love the NFL, but don't watch college. You're missing out on things like Demaryius Thomas burning Kam Chancellor on a fake punt in a GT/Clemson game, so you don't know that history when Denver plays Seattle in the SB.

Just didn't grow up a big college sports fan for some reason. As a kid growing up in LA I was into the Dodgers, and just a general NFL fan (this was 70-82) and some Lakers too.

When I moved to Cleveland at 18 I got into the Browns, later the Cavs and Indians. There is no big college team in Cleveland, no not even the Buckeyes. Some may like them but I've run into others that hate them.

I do watch NCAA tournament and a little before like the conf. tourneys, its probably my favorite sports event outside of NFL playoffs.

I could sit and watch sports evenings and weekends, no wife, no kids, nobody else needing my time. One of my main hobbies is motorcycling, from the time I started about 15 years ago that was an every Saturday thing, into Oct/Nov depending on weather. So my Saturday's were busy. Its not that I don't like it, or think its inferior. Part of it is there are so many games, and I know I'll be missing lots of them.

I think if you didn't grow up (teens 20s) as a big college sports fan you never are. At least that is what I get from talking with my peers (40-50-60 years old). I know other people that are huge college fans, and hardly watch any pro sports. But they were big fans from an early age.

Just didn't grow up a big college sports fan for some reason. As a kid growing up in LA I was into the Dodgers, and just a general NFL fan (this was 70-82) and some Lakers too.

When I moved to Cleveland at 18 I got into the Browns, later the Cavs and Indians. There is no big college team in Cleveland, no not even the Buckeyes. Some may like them but I've run into others that hate them.

I do watch NCAA tournament and a little before like the conf. tourneys, its probably my favorite sports event outside of NFL playoffs.

I could sit and watch sports evenings and weekends, no wife, no kids, nobody else needing my time. One of my main hobbies is motorcycling, from the time I started about 15 years ago that was an every Saturday thing, into Oct/Nov depending on weather. So my Saturday's were busy. Its not that I don't like it, or think its inferior. Part of it is there are so many games, and I know I'll be missing lots of them.

I think if you didn't grow up (teens 20s) as a big college sports fan you never are. At least that is what I get from talking with my peers (40-50-60 years old). I know other people that are huge college fans, and hardly watch any pro sports. But they were big fans from an early age.

Thanks for the response. It makes sense that no exposure would lead to less interest. It's like trying watch Star Wars with someone who didn't watch it as a child.

I actually grew up in Bowling Green, Ohio, and know what you mean about no real college allegiances. The area was split between Ohio State, University of Michigan, and BGSU. I was/am a BGSU fan, but was fortunate to move to Lansing, Michigan at 15, and quickly became a die hard MSU fan, as they all hated OSU and UM too.

I find college athletics to have so much more heart involved than Professional, which I suppose is pretty obvious. Not only do you get inter-conference rivalries, but you also get the conferences against each other. You get the occasional small conference school trying to prove that they can hang. It just seems more team oriented than individual players, as you know that players aren't going to be there forever.

Agreed with the reason stated above.

I grew up in the NYC area. There is no college football team that is popular there. The only people that like college football are people who like penn state or ohio state or something like that because they are from those regions or went to college there or whatever the case may be. But no one is really a fan of like... rutgers (i guess that would be the one if you had to pick?)

Agreed with the reason stated above.

I grew up in the NYC area. There is no college football team that is popular there. The only people that like college football are people who like penn state or ohio state or something like that because they are from those regions or went to college there or whatever the case may be. But no one is really a fan of like... rutgers (i guess that would be the one if you had to pick?)

It is amazing to me how few colleges there are in the NYC area that are competitive in college sports. St. Johns and Seton Hall have good basketball teams now and then, and Rutgers, but that's about it.

Kam was a Hokie, not a Tiger.

Back on topic...

The thing about Chip that bugs me is that he seems to believe that talent doesn't matter. His players are bound to feel that and not like it.

In college, the dimensions of the field allowed him to win with scheme. Most defenses do not have enough talent to prevent large voids from being available to the offense on virtually every play. In the NFL, on that same field, those holes are a hell of a lot smaller. You need guys who can win the 1 on 1 matchups on a consistent basis.

The scheme hubris is just obnoxious to me. Like he thinks that he is just such a great wizard that he can win with any old scrubs.

• Like 1

I think people who don't watch or care for college football never played football, didn't attend college, or didn't attend college with a football team.

As for Chip, I went to Oregon, so I have watched every snap of Chip's tenure there. He was great with the kids, ahead of his time with all of the nutrition and monitoring of health as well as his up tempo and unique offense mind. However, he definitely had an arrogance about him that he has kept at the pro level. Not sure if his system will work at Philly or not, but I think he needs some time and a chance to see if it works.

The quality of game never appealed to me...I never watch any College sports...

I hate the fact that a team can score like 70 points in a game....just feels amateurish (obviously)

• Like 2

I think people who don't watch or care for college football never played football, didn't attend college, or didn't attend college with a football team.

As for Chip, I went to Oregon, so I have watched every snap of Chip's tenure there. He was great with the kids, ahead of his time with all of the nutrition and monitoring of health as well as his up tempo and unique offense mind. However, he definitely had an arrogance about him that he has kept at the pro level. Not sure if his system will work at Philly or not, but I think he needs some time and a chance to see if it works.

I do like how Chip embraces sports science and analytics

• Like 2

The quality of game never appealed to me...I never watch any College sports...

I hate the fact that a team can score like 70 points in a game....just feels amateurish (obviously)

I'd like to cordially invite you to join the University of South Carolina bandwagon(there is plenty of room) I can assure you that you'll never have to watch us score 70 plus, although I can't promise the other team won't.