[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Chip Kelly's Offense"

pun

What do these words even mean?

I see it all the time. "blah blah blah we'll see if Chip Kelly's offense can prove itself blah blah blah."

"Chip Kelly's rube goldberg machine will look to bounce back against so-and-so next week."

It seems to have become a meme. I don't think the writers even know what they mean when they say that, because I've googled far and wide for what defines "Chip Kelly's offense" and how that's different from "an offense that Chip Kelly is the coach of," and haven't come up with anything.

So, anyone know?

Edited by pun
  • Like 1

That's a good question. Most of the time it seems a dysfunctional mess and occasionally they actually look like an NFL calibre offense. Bradford seems like he can hit some deep throws but most of the calls are short timing patterns, that either get dropped or Bradford misses the throw. The running game seems all to be going east/west and Sproles seems to be the only guy fast enough to get around the corner. I really can't figure it out. Is it Kelly's playcalling?

There are a lot of articles online about the offense that he ran at Oregon, and thought that he was going to be able to run in Philadelphia.. Faceplant is correct that the cornerstone is tempo, but the offense itself is unusual because it is a combination spread offense with inside/outside zone reads. The problem in Philly is that the zone read aspect relies on blocking to to work, and the O-Line isn't getting the job done regularly enough to force defenses to commit to stuffing the box to cover the zone read outlets which makes the play action, jet sweep, and bubble screen almost useless, which are the plays that made Oregon so dangerous down the field. Plus, in my experience, it is almost impossible to get NFL WRs to block downfield. There are exceptions, but these guys play patty cake out there compared to a lot of college teams.

• Like 2

That's a good question. Most of the time it seems a dysfunctional mess and occasionally they actually look like an NFL calibre offense. Bradford seems like he can hit some deep throws but most of the calls are short timing patterns, that either get dropped or Bradford misses the throw. The running game seems all to be going east/west and Sproles seems to be the only guy fast enough to get around the corner. I really can't figure it out. Is it Kelly's playcalling?

There are a lot of short timing patterns, but I think part of the problem with the downfield passing is that other than Jordan Matthews, who typically plays in the slot, there really isn't any other WR that the opposing defense looks at as a legitimate "threat".

Riley Cooper, Miles Austin, Josh Huff, and Nelson Agholor are not names that strike fear in the opposing secondaries. They don't seem to be able to get open deep at all. Without anyone on the team to stretch the field and provide a legitimate downfield threat, there won't be many opportunities to throw it deep.

There are a lot of short timing patterns, but I think part of the problem with the downfield passing is that other than Jordan Matthews, who typically plays in the slot, there really isn't any other WR that the opposing defense looks at as a legitimate "threat".

Riley Cooper, Miles Austin, Josh Huff, and Nelson Agholor are not names that strike fear in the opposing secondaries. They don't seem to be able to get open deep at all. Without anyone on the team to stretch the field and provide a legitimate downfield threat, there won't be many opportunities to throw it deep.

I don't care if nobody is running a route to go deep....throw the ball deep anyways :lol: ....put it in their heads that you can and will throw it deep.....

Chip Kelly came into NFL with a Chip on his shoulder ( no pun intended ) and he appears to have gone out of his way to make sure everyone knows that he is charge of getting rid of the players he wants and picking up the ones he wants all in order to try and prove he has reinvented the wheel which he has not

• Like 1

Oh I figured...just not sure if the statement is sarcasm, exaggeration, or a quote from long ago that I missed.

Maybe a bit of exaggeration, but I'd say that Desean Jackson is among the best deep threats in the NFL and "Rimmytose" was saying they were missing a deep threat. My point being Chip Kelly had a very good offense in Philly when he arrived and he released/traded away it's most valuable assets to implement his own guys, and clearly it isn't working particularly well.

• Like 1

DeSean is talented, but the Eagles offense was good last year without a deep threat.

They were good last year, but both QB's(Sanchez and Foles) were each below average deep passers, with Sanchez ranking among the league's worst. Also, Maclin(another player Chip let walk) was 11th in YPR and 6th in catches of 20+ so I'd say they still had a pretty good deep threat last year. I know your point isn't specifically about deep passes, but neither is mine, its about Chip letting good players walk because he doesn't think they "fit his system" or he just doesn't like them. The season is still young, but in my opinion the Chip Kelly experiment is failing.

• Like 1

They were good last year, but both QB's(Sanchez and Foles) were each below average deep passers, with Sanchez ranking among the league's worst. Also, Maclin(another player Chip let walk) was 11th in YPR and 6th in catches of 20+ so I'd say they still had a pretty good deep threat last year. I know your point isn't specifically about deep passes, but neither is mine, its about Chip letting good players walk because he doesn't think they "fit his system" or he just doesn't like them. The season is still young, but in my opinion the Chip Kelly experiment is failing.

I think it is more about "I can win without these guys"

its about Chip letting good players walk because he doesn't think they "fit his system" or he just doesn't like them. The season is still young, but in my opinion the Chip Kelly experiment is failing.

OK no offense but this is sorta what I'm talking about. what "system" are you talking about (the zone reads?)? what is experimental here? just losing maclin and jackson - that's the "experiment?"

thank you that was really informative.

it actually makes sense IMO. it's almost like, instead of running back by committee - offense by committee (except for the QB and maybe the line) - have lots of basically interchangeable backs (i guess this is why both demarco and mathews have been putting up solid numbers), WRs, TEs, and maybe linemen too (idk). It's treating each player almost as just a body and making "skill players" irrelevant. Kinda sucks from a fantasy prospective but not a bad idea IMO from a winning football games prospective.

Of course yeah you'd probably need at least more than one skill player (DeMarco), and I guess they thought they had that with Matthews (maybe they still do?). And of course you'd need a better QB than Bradford, but then again I think most offenses would prefer a better QB than Bradford.

Edited by pun

Kinda sucks from a fantasy prospective but not a bad idea IMO from a winning football games prospective.

Except he's not really doing a whole lot of winning, better than some, but nothing special.

IMO the best coaches don't change the players to fit their system, they change their system to fit the players.

Edited by timeconsumer
  • Like 1

Except he's not really doing a whole lot of winning, better than some, but nothing special.

IMO the best coaches don't change the players to fit their system, they change their system to fit the players.

Would you really expect them to be that much better than 4-4 if they weren't doing this though?

I mean they lost to the Falcons (good team), the Cowboys (when Romo was playing, an understandable loss), the Panthers (what more is there to say), and the Redskins (this is the only game they definitely should have won).

Edited by pun