[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is anyone else over the NFL?

Boy Named Suh

I realize that this is probably the least likely place in the world to find people who feel this way, but I am over the junk product that the NFL is giving us.

The NFLPA and the owners seem to have no issue employing woman beaters. The "rules changes" are so out of control that it is literally impossible to tell what a catch is anymore. Those same rules changes that are for the "safety of the players" have resulted in more injuries this season than I can ever remember happening in the past. While we are talking about rules changes, the referees are making the games un-watchable. So many calls, right, wrong, or in between. It has gotten to the point that every play downfield, the WRs are jumping up looking for a flag.

I know that you can't blame one person, but I am finding it really hard not to hate Roger Goodell right now. It really seems like this has all happened on his watch.

Is this what the NFL is now, or is there a way to get back to just playing football?

Edited by Boy Named Suh
  • Like 1

never thought id say it ...but yeah I think im getting there and agree with you 100%

the games are increasingly harder to watch ...and more interrupted game action gives the announcers far too much time to talk and more time for stupid commercials to air.

I get it--its a hugh business..... but it sure seems like the actual game is taking a backseat to all the other crap.

getting old for sure.

I've been there all year and I don't even watch the games anymore...

It's only a matter of time before I stop playing fantasy because any old yahoo is able to know about all the potential sleepers and then end up going a full round before I think it is even worth it...

The game has been whored out, my friends..

• Like 2

I'm seriously debating whether I want to continue my Fantasy League. As for Football, I'd agree but I still wanna support my Jags until we can get a winning season.

But I'm thinking with the birth of daily fantasy that might give me the fix I need without having to dedicate to it the entirety of the season.

• Like 1

As soon as my kids (5, 3, and 4.5 months) are old enough to hit the golf course with me on Sundays, I'm afraid I'll be just about done with FF. Maybe keep a league or two, but maybe none at all. As much as I enjoy the competition/challenge of putting together competitive teams, it all really is just a crapshoot. And, at the end of the day (on Sundays), I sometimes feel like I'm wasting a lot of time/effort on something that really isn't all that fulfilling. It's great to win leagues, and I've won a bunch over the years, but I've also spent a ton of time/effort doing so.

Of course, this is coming off of a weekend when I lost a bunch of players to injury (not the least of which is Dion Lewis in more leagues than I care to admit). :lol:

To be honest, even with major injury issues, inconsistent play, and the regular league BS, fantasy is the only thing that has kept me interested enough to keep up with the NFL the last few weeks. I have had a good time with fantasy, but it's not going to be enough to keep me around while feeling like everyone in the NFL is laughing at me personally for buying into the crap they put on the field.

• Like 3

I have had a good time with fantasy, but it's not going to be enough to keep me around while feeling like everyone in the NFL is laughing at me personally for buying into the crap they put on the field.

This sums it up exactly for me. Product quality is down and all the adults seem to have left the building and left the money maximizers behind. Gregg Easterbrook used to say there's no reason the NFL should remain popular forever and I think that's going to happen.

Outside of the real game, fantasy gets less fun as the randomness goes up. Considering the blood bath that was the first round of the draft this year I think the luck factor, already very high, is going up even more.

I will say that my NFL team, the Bucs, has sucked for so long I don't think that's coloring my view of the other teams.

Interesting that most of the complainers in here are fans of teams with non-winning records. Coincidence? Jags, Lions, Chargers, Eagles...

:lol:

Is there a rule where you have to be all in or nothing? How about just watching the games when you have time? If it's a lazy Sunday, watch more. If you're crazy busy, maybe check scores on your phone a few times?

If you're in one league, the work required is fairly minimal. Maybe you get lucky, avoid injuries, and make it to your league's playoffs. Then perhaps you set aside some more time to watch the games with your players. :shrug:

I am in 4 dynasties, 3 redrafts and typically have 5+ DFS lineups in on a given weekend. The morning is spent making sure no one's a late scratch, then I watch Red Zone Channel, check my scores every so often, and do chores around the house. Some Sundays I'll go out to a local watering hole and watch the late games. The SNF game is usually watched on my tablet as the kids watch some cartoons during dinner and after.

Bottom line, if I miss some, it's no big deal. I make time when it looks like I'll have it, and don't stress if I don't. I imagine it'd be much easier with 1 team instead of 7. Maybe things'll change once my kids are older but I don't see it happening... I'll probably cut out a few leagues at some point but I think it'll be manageable.... and assuming my interest level stays the same (don't see it changing), I am good with how things are now. I don't need to be "all in".

Edited by darin3
  • Like 3

It's guys like Brady and Rivers and Peyton and Luck... guys with that fire and drive and will to win that keep me watching..

I hate seeing the trash too.. but these guys have a burning desire to win and you can tell its not all about the money...

the problem is players get paid and they dont wanna try as much, they are more concerned with opening their mouth..

Russell Wilson is a perfect example.. I like him as a person but He got paid and the hottest girl in the nfl and all of a sudden he doesnt want to play football.

Its trash

Checking in for duty

the problem is players get paid and they dont wanna try as much, they are more concerned with opening their mouth..

I think that the players are definitely part of the problem, as it has definitely turned into a "me above the team" league. Having said that, they never would have been able to get this far if not for the NFLPA going to bat for scum and Goodell being so inconsistent when it comes to consequences for trash behavior. It is a disease that has poisoned the league without an antidote as the owners are money grubbers with no real control over their teams, and the NFLPA only cares about protecting players who have no business being anywhere but prison. Everyone involved is making millions of dollars every year because we are too stupid to turn it off and do something else with our Sundays.

My interest in fantasy football has waned, if not for long time leagues I likely wouldn't be playing. Used to be that I tried to watch every lick of football I could. Now I am content to watch the Cowboys play and whatever other games are on when they aren't playing. I hate that the NFL is trying to claim another night (Thursday) so I mostly do not watch the Thursday games. I think the London games are stupid so I mostly don't watch those.

I think Goodell and the NFL are drunk on power. I don't think the NFL cares about the health and welfare of their players they only care about the bottom line. Any concern they show about the players (concussions) is only in an effort to mitigate the possibility of law suits. They are perfectly comfortable using the players up and discarding them when they are done with them. The one caveat is they want to protect the large investments they have in the highly paid skilled positions, like QB. I think Goodell and the NFL behave like spoiled brats with power ... case in point was this whole Deflate Gate thing. Without a shred of evidence Goodell waved his high and mighty hand and decreed that Brady did it and should be punished. Goodell and the NFL refused to back down despite the fact that they had no evidence ... they wanted to exert the full force of their power and make it happen anyway.

I hate that the owners are so concerned about their heavy investments in the QB that defensive players are penalized if they breathe on the QB wrong.

I hate that the NFL can't decide what is a catch and what is not a catch and it seems to change on a game to game basis and/or from officiating crew to officiating crew. In fact I don't like replay in the first place. They keep telling us the idea is to "get it right" but then they tell me the coach can only challenge 3 times and not all plays are reviewable ... so they are only interested in "getting it right" some of the time. Then to make matters worse half the time the ref.s get it wrong on the replay. And we are creating ref.s who are gun shy about their calls and now every time there is a flag they have to all gather in the field to decide if and/or what kind of penalty occurred.

I hate the fact that more and more the WR is getting a skirt to match the one the QB wears.

I miss the days before free agency when we could build long term teams.

Will I still watch the Cowboys when I can, yeah.

• Like 2

As soon as my kids (5, 3, and 4.5 months) are old enough to hit the golf course with me on Sundays, I'm afraid I'll be just about done with FF. Maybe keep a league or two, but maybe none at all. As much as I enjoy the competition/challenge of putting together competitive teams, it all really is just a crapshoot. And, at the end of the day (on Sundays), I sometimes feel like I'm wasting a lot of time/effort on something that really isn't all that fulfilling. It's great to win leagues, and I've won a bunch over the years, but I've also spent a ton of time/effort doing so.

Of course, this is coming off of a weekend when I lost a bunch of players to injury (not the least of which is Dion Lewis in more leagues than I care to admit). :lol:

Really hoping you'll keep all the leagues I'm in with you :D Unfortunately, I suck at golf. :bag::doh:

Everyone's getting on board now. I've been on this thing since 2012.

I don't think I'll ever stop being a Saints fan as long as they're in New Orleans, but as the rest of the NFL goes I've been over it for a long while now. Goodell I wouldn't piss on if he were on fire.

• Like 1

Put me in the group that has been losing interest over the last few years. I use to do nothing but watch football all day every Sunday. This year I think maybe 2 weeks I watched football all day. Maybe it's just an off year for me, I'm not saying I'm completely done but the product has suffered greatly. It's getting harder and harder to watch.

I still like the product (although I think I'm officially done with the Lions). Of course, rugby will always trump football. I think the biggest issue is players are getting bigger, stronger and faster. Add big money and egos and you have a recipe for disaster. Some of the rule changes are a result of our sue happy society. It's no longer acceptable to just have bad luck, it must be someone's fault. I also agree that the Thursday games need to go. I want my full Sunday back, no Thursday or even Sunday night games. That will never happen because its about the almighty $$$.

I'm just waiting for the robot version.

Edited by Phat Rugby