[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is anyone else over the NFL?

Boy Named Suh

Where's crotchety old Chief Dick? He's been threatening to quit watching football for years. Maybe it wasn't any empty threat?

He's probably in his basement playing with CoC....err Clash of Clans

I think the weekly Thursday games put me over the top. The 3rd day is just too much. The NFL hasn't realized that saturate dilutes our desire for the product.

And how the hell is the NFL a non-profit?

x 1,000,000

Stop the Thursday games please

• Like 1

My opinion is this: There are good and bad aspects to everything in life, and the NFL is no different. I personally believe that nothing new is happening, and nothing is getting worse. I believe things like drug abuse, domestic violence, bad ref calls etc have been happening since the very beginning of the sport. The only difference is that now these things are exposed much more often and much more rapidly due to social media and instant, global exposure.

Remember Michael Irvin and the Cocaine abuse? Wasn't there a Cowboy player from the same era that got caught trying to carry a gun on an airplane? One of the leagues most famous and touted players went on to murder his wife (allegedly) in OJ Simpson.

In regards to bad Ref calls, hell there are still Raider fans to this day that will tell you a bad call cost them a championship due to the Immaculate Reception, and that was in 1972....

None of this stuff is new, it's just getting more exposure. There are plenty of good guys in the NFL, and bad calls are just easier to spot now with 200 camera views evaluating every single play.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 1

My opinion is this: There are good and bad aspects to everything in life, and the NFL is no different. I personally believe that nothing new is happening, and nothing is getting worse. I believe things like drug abuse, domestic violence, bad ref calls etc have been happening since the very beginning of the sport. The only difference is that now these things are exposed much more often and much more rapidly due to social media and instant, global exposure.

Remember Michael Irvin and the Cocaine abuse? Wasn't there a Cowboy player from the same era that got caught trying to carry a gun on an airplane? One of the leagues most famous and touted players went on to murder his wife (allegedly) in OJ Simpson.

In regards to bad Ref calls, hell there are still Raider fans to this day that will tell you a bad call cost them a championship due to the Immaculate Reception, and that was in 1972....

None of this stuff is new, it's just getting more exposure. There are plenty of good guys in the NFL, and bad calls are just easier to spot now with 200 camera views evaluating every single play.

Sure the media exposure is greater. But that changes nothing I said in my post.

Barry Switzer was carrying a gun in the airport ... idiot.

The Thursday night games seem silly to me, personally. They're not prepared and generally uninteresting. Just leave them on Sunday's and Monday's imo...

Thursday night games are essentially regular season games played like preseason games.

Ok, well I still enjoy football. I refuse to allow social media, knee-jerk reactions and the torch/pitchfork mob mentality that comes along with it to influence my love of the sport. Like I said, there is good and bad in everything. Every closet has a skeleton, and everything inspected with a microscope is dirty somewhere.

Everything goes through ebs and flows. The NFL is no different. I cannot stand Rodger Goodell either, but I won't be allowing my dislike for him to turn me away from football.

Guess I'll be finding a different football forum where people actually enjoy the sport.

Peace.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 1

I am with you that we aren't getting anything like what we use to. Commercials and ads have just taken over the games. We use to get analysis and comentary while breaking down the game with spots on individual players during games. Now it's like they take every spare second to roll a commercial. They can't even come back and live without half the screen covered up with yet another ad while the intro into the game. As if it wasn't enough to just roll off umpteen ads before they went back to the game.

It has become Kickoff, commercial, play play stoppage, commercials, punt, commercials, turnover, commercials, review, commercials. They just kill the excitement of the game especially after a big play or change of possesion. You want to see reactions and players celebrating but no. While the teams react to the play, we get to watch "TIM come on in TIM, T BONE...........Actually my name is Brian..................

I hate it. I have begun to be mindful to never every buy anything I see on ads anymore.

Between the poor officiating, commercials and reviews it's gotten to where I prefer to tape delay about 45 minutes so I can fast forward. Seems to be getting worse every year. I would actually pay for commercial free games. I would!

Thursday Night Football (outside of opening night and Thanksgiving) blows! The commentators are boring as hell, the players look like they're just practicing against another team, the commercials are annoying as piss (just smashing the NFL Network down our throats), etc.

It needs to GO!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm actually very surprised stevegrab hasn't checked-in on this thread...LOL

The bottom line is this...the $multi-billion/year NFL ain't going away unless/until ALL of the rabid fans who like to complain about the product (self included), but continue to enable it (again, self included), stop spending their hard-earned $ supporting it! Another news flash, the commercial timeouts aren't going to get any shorter, either, as long as there's an audience to target...

Some of players commit crimes (doesn't really matter whether it's a misdemeanor or felony - the law is the law, although some are certainly more egregious than others) and we all like to talk about it and beat our chests that we don't condone it, but yet when it's a star player on our team, we bury our heads in the sand and say, "Well, if other teams will tolerate it, then by God, who am I to question the integrity of MY team, as long as we try to remain competitive!"

Don't like TNF? How about "Every Night Football?" I guarantee IF there was any way the NFL could make $ and rig the schedule so there would be be at least one game every night and ensure the teams have at least 4 days to prepare (same as current Sunday to Thursday schedule), it would happen...

Hell, you think things are bad now? just wait, as the NFL is only getting bigger...wait until Goodell and the owners have WORLD domination...and, yes, it's happening folks, right in front of your eyes...first the U.K., then it will expand into the rest of Europe, and then the rest of the globe...anyway, I just don't see this freight train slowing down any time soon (or ever for that matter)...anyway, I'll step down off my soapbox, now...LOL

Edited by the outlaw

Ok, well I still enjoy football. I refuse to allow social media, knee-jerk reactions and the torch/pitchfork mob mentality that comes along with it to influence my love of the sport. Like I said, there is good and bad in everything. Every closet has a skeleton, and everything inspected with a microscope is dirty somewhere.

Everything goes through ebs and flows. The NFL is no different. I cannot stand Rodger Goodell either, but I won't be allowing my dislike for him to turn me away from football.

Guess I'll be finding a different football forum where people actually enjoy the sport.

Peace.

I can dig what you are saying. I love watching football too much to ever stop, but there are definitely things worth bitching about in the NFL.

When people get old they get cynical. About everything. So you used to love football. Now you don't as much. You used to love going to the bars. Now you don't as much. You used to love going on road trips for no particular reason with no particular destination. Now you don't as much. Your cynicism has less to do with football than it has to do with you.

Bullmanure. I realize that the younger generation of football fans are only familiar with the current product. I realize that the younger generation in general has much shorter attention spans and needs more commercials so they can keep up with their phones and social media.

Just because some of us are old enough to remember a different product than the one presented today and prefer the product we grew up with doesn't mean we are cynical.

• Like 1

When people get old they get cynical. About everything. So you used to love football. Now you don't as much. You used to love going to the bars. Now you don't as much. You used to love going on road trips for no particular reason with no particular destination. Now you don't as much. Your cynicism has less to do with football than it has to do with you.

I love going on road trips, I never really cared much for hanging out in bars. I used to love the NFL. Pretty much could name almost every player on every team. Watched as much as possible. Now, if I watch a single game other than the Saints on Sunday it's something and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I even quit watching ESPN and NFL Network after the bountygate bullmanure and I'm much happier without. That has nothing to do with being old. It has to do with the NFL turning to crap and the sports media turning into TMZ.

• Like 1

God bless redzone

What about those of us that go to the games? We get to sit there watching the players milling around while the guy with the stupid orange gloves signals commercial breaks after every punt and kickoff. Meanwhile they show so much stupid stuff on the big screens I begin to feel like I'm on the set of Idiocracy.

I can dig what you are saying. I love watching football too much to ever stop, but there are definitely things worth bitching about in the NFL.

Oh, I agree. I just can't help but wonder as someone mentioned above how much of our grumbling is tied into the nostalgia we get when we think about the "glory days" of football. How much of it is the "I walked to school barefoot in my days" mentality that we all get as we grow older? How much do we sound like our fathers? Our grandfathers?

Commercials - Yes, they suck. I hate them too. But they are everywhere, not only in the NFL, but EVERYWHERE. You can't click on any website these days w/o being overloaded with pop ups and flashing logos. I swear even our favorite TV sitcom seems to split screen time 50/50 with commercials these days. However, don't we still have 4 15 minute quarters of football? Aren't the game clocks the same? Aren't broadcast times still slated for 3 hours, just like they used to be? I dunno, perhaps they are somehow cramming more commercials into the same time frame they always have, but we still get 60 mins of football in a 3 hour window, just like always.

Violence - This is just a crappy aspect of human nature. Men have been abusing women since the dawn of mankind. If anything, this was worse back in the glory days, it just didn't get nearly as much exposure. it was way more likely to get swept under the rug "back in the day".

Corruption - This is also a crappy aspect of human nature that has been around since the word greed was first defined.

Bad calls - This is nothing new. I hate a bad call just as much as the next guy when it effects my team, but the only reason we notice them more now than we used to is because we have cameras everywhere and we dissect every single play in slow motion, looking for any flaw we can possibly find.

I dunno. Most of the topics we are grumbling about here can be applied to everything else in our modern society, not just the NFL. Perhaps this thread more accurately reflects our distaste with the direction the modern world in general seems to be heading rather than just the sport we grew up watching with our dads.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 2

... and I refuse to watch RedZone. I think the RedZone is specifically designed for those that don't have the attention span to actually watch a football game. The RedZone is for those people who only care about which individual players are scoring, probably because they want to assess the success or failure of their fantasy teams as the games unfold. I think this is one of the negative side effects of fantasy football ... people don't care to watch the games any more ... they want it boiled down to the individual scoring plays.

Don't get me wrong ... I went through that phase as well. But now I don't watch stat lines and don't check fantasy lineups and live scoring on game day anymore ... instead I watch the football game.

• Like 1

Nope, and I'm really tired of people whining about it, acting like they are over the NFL or quit watching while spending tons of money discussing the NFL and playing fantasy football.

Its like many things today, fake outrage.

I may have some issues with things, I may not enjoy games as much as I used to, but is the one sport I follow very heavily, watching every game I get (often half or more of the game in a given week with NFL Replay, and all the others on TV).

The OP was right about one thing, you really cannot blame one person, Goodell is just a puppet of the owners. If you have a beef it is with them, they gave him power and can remove him. He's just a guy doing a job. But of course people will still hate him, since its just easier.

Oh and if you think the NFL is getting less popular just check their TV ratings, which continue to go up, and their TV contracts which rise at an exponential rate.

PS As a Browns fan no real success since we came back over 15 years ago, no titles in 50 years, and that hasn't shaken me. But then I don't overreact as much as others, most of whom will be back with their 20 leagues come next august. I do focus less on my Browns, but still watch other games. And I maximize my time by watching games on DVR eliminating hours of commercials and talking heads (half time). Last week I started at 5:30PM, watched all of GB-CAR, half of DEN-IND and SNF and was live when that game was wrapping up. Don't need to spend 11-12 hours watching.

• Like 1

Spot on.

What about those of us that go to the games? We get to sit there watching the players milling around while the guy with the stupid orange gloves signals commercial breaks after every punt and kickoff. Meanwhile they show so much stupid stuff on the big screens I begin to feel like I'm on the set of Idiocracy.

FYI, NFL full season ticket holders are supposed to get the Red Zone for free on mobile devices...I haven't used it because (even after supposed "upgrades") the WiFi @ FedEx still sucks...

But I'm 100% with you, sitting thru the numerous TV timeouts is brutal...

Edited by the outlaw

Nope, and I'm really tired of people whining about it, acting like they are over the NFL or quit watching while spending tons of money discussing the NFL and playing fantasy football.

Its like many things today, fake outrage.

I may have some issues with things, I may not enjoy games as much as I used to, but is the one sport I follow very heavily, watching every game I get (often half or more of the game in a given week with NFL Replay, and all the others on TV).

The OP was right about one thing, you really cannot blame one person, Goodell is just a puppet of the owners. If you have a beef it is with them, they gave him power and can remove him. He's just a guy doing a job. But of course people will still hate him, since its just easier.

Oh and if you think the NFL is getting less popular just check their TV ratings, which continue to go up, and their TV contracts which rise at an exponential rate.

PS As a Browns fan no real success since we came back over 15 years ago, no titles in 50 years, and that hasn't shaken me. But then I don't overreact as much as others, most of whom will be back with their 20 leagues come next august. I do focus less on my Browns, but still watch other games. And I maximize my time by watching games on DVR eliminating hours of commercials and talking heads (half time). Last week I started at 5:30PM, watched all of GB-CAR, half of DEN-IND and SNF and was live when that game was wrapping up. Don't need to spend 11-12 hours watching.

I've been waiting for this post! LOL

Sure the media exposure is greater. But that changes nothing I said in my post.

Barry Switzer was carrying a gun in the airport ... idiot.

Not every post is about you and Alphashado makes some very good points. Throw in the thousands of hours weekly of NFL coverage, the 100 talking heads going non stop and you have more focus on things. "Horrible call, worst ever cost this team the game...."

Bulltaco. I realize that the younger generation of football fans are only familiar with the current product. I realize that the younger generation in general has much shorter attention spans and needs more commercials so they can keep up with their phones and social media.

Just because some of us are old enough to remember a different product than the one presented today and prefer the product we grew up with doesn't mean we are cynical.

There are no more commercials in games now than 10-20-30 years ago. 11 breaks per half (including the one between quarters). There may be more dead time because of reviews, injuries and other stuff like 2-4-6 minute drills with constant clock stoppages.

Wow we agree on something, I think RZ is an abomoniation for NFL, and feeds these short attention span people what they want. They don't even watch a complete game and only know what the highlights show them.

Like alphashado says, guys were beating their women at a much higher rate in the good ole days we just didn't hear about.