[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is anyone else over the NFL?

Boy Named Suh

As soon as he sees a thread without a star next to it, he'll be here. Bank on it.

I hardly post in every thread, but I do post in a lot not sure how that makes me different from anyobdy else (including yourself).

so :moon: or just ignore my posts if they bother you

FYI, NFL full season ticket holders are supposed to get the Red Zone for free on mobile devices...I haven't used it because (even after supposed "upgrades") the WiFi @ FedEx still sucks...

But I'm 100% with you, sitting thru the numerous TV timeouts is brutal...

That is when you go pee, get more beer/food, eat/drink etc.

That is when you go pee, get more beer/food, eat/drink etc.

I actually refuse to pay Dan Snyder and the NFL $9.50 for a beer inside the stadium...I do all of my eating & drinking in the parking lot beforehand! LOL Edited by the outlaw

... and I refuse to watch RedZone. I think the RedZone is specifically designed for those that don't have the attention span to actually watch a football game. The RedZone is for those people who only care about which individual players are scoring, probably because they want to assess the success or failure of their fantasy teams as the games unfold. I think this is one of the negative side effects of fantasy football ... people don't care to watch the games any more ... they want it boiled down to the individual scoring plays.

Don't get me wrong ... I went through that phase as well. But now I don't watch stat lines and don't check fantasy lineups and live scoring on game day anymore ... instead I watch the football game.

I use to think that too but now I watch it simply to avoid watching ads and commercials. You get football, football and more football. Once a game gets interesting I will go to it though. There is something to be said about watching every play of one game.

I watch Redzone more than anything because of the commercials. As someone else on here said it is ridiculous. Touchdown, commercial, extra point, commercial, kick off, commercial etc...

Except there is never (outside of maybe an injury) a timeout between the TD and conversion. What usually happens is if the first drive of a half is 5 minutes or longer, there is a commercial after TD+conv, and another after the kickoff. If the drive was shorter or they've taken lots of breaks already they only do one break after TD+conv.

You guys can keep saying they do things that they don't but doesn't make it true. Watch and actual game (not RZ) and pay attention, and you'll notice you're wrong (and grossly exaggerating).

I actually refuse to pay Dan Snyder and the NFL $9.50 for a beer inside the stadium...I do all of my eating & drinking in the parking lot beforehand! LOL

When I had Browns season tickets I would do most of my eating and drinking before the game, sneak alcohol in (Bar-noculars or airline bottles) and buy 1-2 beers and maybe a snack. Of course that was in the days before the NFL went gestapo on the fans and now allow only you, your ticket and money to enter the stadium. (yes I'm exaggerating).

PS DVRs were invented to get rid of commercials, but I understand they are not popular with many sports fans. But I'd suggest giving it a try, record the game, start 30-60 minutes in and enjoy (and spend the extra 30-60 minutes doing something else).

• Like 1

FYI, NFL full season ticket holders are supposed to get the Red Zone for free on mobile devices...I haven't used it because (even after supposed "upgrades") the WiFi @ FedEx still sucks...

But I'm 100% with you, sitting thru the numerous TV timeouts is brutal...

I don't want free redzone on my mobile device. I don't want redzone at all, really. I don't even take my phone out of my pocket in the dome. I just want to watch a football game and scream at Rob Ryan to put down the takeout menu and pickup the play call sheet.

• Like 1

Commercials have always been bad during NFL games. The TV timeouts follow a fairly predictable pattern and if there is a long drive that skips a planned TO, that is when they double up on commercial break after an extra point and then after the kickoff. People seem to be insinuating this is a new thing. I'm inclined to think it's been that way for a decade or longer.

Commercials have always been bad during NFL games. The TV timeouts follow a fairly predictable pattern and if there is a long drive that skips a planned TO, that is when they double up on commercial break after an extra point and then after the kickoff. People seem to be insinuating this is a new thing. I'm inclined to think it's been that way for a decade or longer.

Also in the late game on the DH network they wait until all audiences have joined that game. For those who may have gotten DEN-IND from the beginning on Sunday you may have noticed they went the whole first quarter without a commercial break. There were several changes of posession including a TD. But since the rest of the country was getting the OAK-PIT game (some like me from the beginning, others as bonus coverage after their early CBS game) they were not going to do commercials. (The advertiser pays for the big audience, and they're not all there yet). By the time OAK-PIT ended and we joined there was about 2 minutes left in 1Q, and no chance for a commercial until the quarter ended.

That made the 2nd half full of commercials, every change of possession and double dipping on the scores (before and after kickoff). And if there was an injury or review they probably took a break then. I believe they are required to take 10 breaks each half, plus 1 between quarter 1-2 & 3-4. They can take extras, but those are the minimum.

I'm on another forum with TV and sports broadcast geeks, and have learned a lot there. This is not new, not even in the last 20 years or so.

It is frustrating when at a game live unless you time it with a toilet break or food stop. At least at home there's other things I can do in the meantime.

The NFL is just a game. Nothing more or less than that and that is the way I look at it. The players are way over paid and that is why the tickets and concessions are outrageous. I started watching the Ravens when I was 9 years old which was 5 years ago with my dad. I enjoy the game from the comfort of a couch. This is my 2nd season playing fantasy football and I enjoy watching the games because of that. If the OP is playing fantasy football and is on a fantasy football forum than he definitely hasn't given up the NFL.

You are absolutely right, kiddo. Not given up, but getting there. I appreciate your post because it reminds me that there are kids like you out there building memories watching football with their dad, which is a huge point in the plus column for the NFL.

There is an excellent chance that everyone who says that our eyes are old is right. I definitely find myself complaining about this new generation's attitude and music just like every other generation has. That is only part of the story however. Football used to be exciting. Check out highlights of Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater on Youtube. It is hard to go from that to watching Tom Brady fall down the first time it looks like he might get hit.

Either way, I'm glad that you enjoy it.

• Like 1

PS DVRs were invented to get rid of commercials, but I understand they are not popular with many sports fans. But I'd suggest giving it a try, record the game, start 30-60 minutes in and enjoy (and spend the extra 30-60 minutes doing something else).

This is what I like to do. If there is a particular game I really want to watch, I'll record it for the first hour or so. I'll do something around the house to occupy me for this first hour of football, then when I sit down to watch it, I ff->> through the commercials and usually catch up to the live version right around the end of the game. If I need to hit the jimmy or make a snack, I just pause it.... come back and ff through some more commercials, so yeah...technology isn't always a bad thing.

Edited by Alphashado

... and I refuse to watch RedZone. I think the RedZone is specifically designed for those that don't have the attention span to actually watch a football game. The RedZone is for those people who only care about which individual players are scoring, probably because they want to assess the success or failure of their fantasy teams as the games unfold. I think this is one of the negative side effects of fantasy football ... people don't care to watch the games any more ... they want it boiled down to the individual scoring plays.

Don't get me wrong ... I went through that phase as well. But now I don't watch stat lines and don't check fantasy lineups and live scoring on game day anymore ... instead I watch the football game.

almost every Sunday I get together with friends that I play ff with. We grill/eat, get half drunk and holler at the RZ channel. I get my fill of watching a full game on Thurs, sun night and monday. It has nothing to do with attention span :lol:
  • Like 2

Interesting that most of the complainers in here are fans of teams with non-winning records. Coincidence? Jags, Lions, Chargers, Eagles...

thats a ridiculous statement….. fans are fans and will watch regardless of record….real fans at least.

this thread has nothing to do with team performance imo….its all about the delivery and quality of the OVERALL product.

Actually, this is the first year I've really watched any football beyond the home team. It's also the first time I've played FF. Since it's "new" to me I'm a bit obsessed with it and read stuff here, nfl.com and rotowire daily. Fantasy football has made me really pay attention to all the nuances of real football and what goes in to making a good team. It also made my 9 year old get into it heavily so it's something we share.

I do wish they would give some laxity to the definition of a catch. Games are more fun with the ball is moving downfield and they should promote the passing game. It's more exciting and that's what sells seats and commercial airtime. Watching 5 yard rushes, while perhaps productive, is boring.

As far as fantasy football, I'd probably be a little irritated if I'd been doing this for years and someone with no prior knowledge came in with a D- draft score and then proceeded to go 7-2 with the highest chance of winning the whole thing. But, I'm the one who did that so I'm perfectly happy with it.

FF does indeed add a whole new dimension to "watching football" and its great that it gives you and your son something to bond over…..same thing for me.

As far as draft scores and probability of winning …well you'll learn over time that neither means jack lol.

And --looking at the team in your sig-- not sure how you ended up with that stable of WRS --unless you're in a 6 team league :brow:

Anyone stating on a FF website forum that they are over the NFL is full of crap. :2cents:

If the OP is playing fantasy football and is on a fantasy football forum than he definitely hasn't given up the NFL.

Or, another possibility is that some of us are simply playing the string out until the season ends and don't want to give up on the season or league out of respect to the other long-time leaguemates.

Because, yes, I AM over the NFL.

I think Goodell and the NFL behave like spoiled brats with power ... case in point was this whole Deflate Gate thing. Without a shred of evidence Goodell waved his high and mighty hand and decreed that Brady did it and should be punished. Goodell and the NFL refused to back down despite the fact that they had no evidence ... they wanted to exert the full force of their power and make it happen anyway.

I agree with all of your points! Just wanted to mention - the ESPN the Magazine article covered all the sketchy things the Patriots have been doing since the 2002 Super Bowl "they knew every play we were going to run as soon as it was called!" Apparently, Ernie Adams' boys have been spying on everyone and the owners kinda got together and wanted Goodell to come down hard on the Patriots. It was NOT just the Jets Spygate thing. NFL ignored multiple complaints (hush-hush). So, Goodell came down with a quick ruling that was harsh. Brady destroying his cell phone didn't help the NE cause either, as it had multiple calls to the ball boy after they were caught. Opponents were also pissed that NE gives them sketchy radios to use (looks like rats gnawed thru the wires), horrible locker room supplies (hot Gatorade that is delivered way late), has bugged their hotel rooms and food, etc. Pittsburgh's failed communications in their NE game this year was another example of faulty equipment that the home team (NE) provides and can sabotage.

Anyway, these are things that carry on when the NFL tries to cover up its' problems for years...then "fix" them all at once. Money corrupts (see politicians)

• 2 weeks later...