[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Too Early ROY Thread

Boy Named Suh

So I accidentally hijacked the Matt Forte thread and it turned into a ROY conversation, so to get that thread back on track, here's a ROY thread.

As a frame of reference, here are the last 5 ROY winners and their numbers.

Sam Bradford 3512 yards passing, 18 passing TDs, 15 Int, 63 yards rushing, 1 TD
Cam Newton 4051 yds passing, 21 passing TDs, 17 Ints, 706 yds rushing, 14 TDs
RG3 3200 yds passing, 20 passing TDs, 5 Ints, 815 yds rushing, 7 TDs
Eddie Lacy 284 carries, 1178 yds, 11 rushing TDs, 257 yds rec, 0 TDs rec
OBJ 12 games, 91 receptions, 1305 yds rec, 12 TDs rec

Now, here are the names being thrown around this year through 10 weeks

Todd Gurley 6 Games Played, 130 carries, 709 yds rushing, 5 TDs, 132 yds rec
Karlos Williams 6 GP, 58 carries, 360 yds, 5TD, 72 yds rec, 2 TDs rec
Amari Cooper 9 GP, 50 receptions, 732 yds, 4 TDs
Stefon Diggs 6 GP, 30 receptions, 507 yds, 2 TDs

Obviously Gurley is the popular favorite, but if Cooper finds the end zone with more consistancy, he has to be up there too. If Karlos finds the end zone against the Patriots, he has the record for a rookie scoring in their first 7 games. Does that put him in the running even though he has less than half the total carries of Gurley, or would he need to score a TD in every game ROS to make up for the lack of carries? Would that even be enough? If the Bears shut down Forte to preserve his trade value, can Langford get into the conversation?

Any other names i'm forgetting?

Edit...my fault. Forte is a free agent next year, so trade value doesn't matter. Wishful thinking from a Langford owner and MSU alum.

Edit...Should Jameis be in the conversation with 2159 yds passing, 10 TDs, 9 Ints, 119 Rushing yds, 4 TDs?

Edited by Boy Named Suh

i think this is a 2 man race with Gurley and Cooper...However if Gurley can keep up what he has been doing, he will run away with the ROY.

I agree and I think the deeper the year gets, the more Cooper falls behind Gurley.

Gurley, easily.

I'm not questioning that Gurley is the front runner, but to say that he has it wrapped up is going too far, in my opinion. If Cooper has a two TD game this week (entirely possible against Detroit) then he becomes the front runner to me. He has played every game this season, and has more yards receiving than Gurley has rushing so far. That is not to be taken lightly, in my opinion. Some may see Gurley's numbers as more impressive because it is in less games, but I see Copper as being more impressive because he didn't have to sit any games due to injury.

Speaking of which, this is all assuming that Gurley stays healthy and productive (a lot longer season than college, and don't forget that he only played in 6 games at Georgia in '14 due to suspension and injury so there will be a concern that as the season progresses, he may run out of steam), which is why I called this the Too Early ROY Thread. There is still a lot of season left. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Winston work his way into the discussion if they make the playoffs, which is still a possibility. I think that Diggs still has time to make a case, but he better blow up every game ROS.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So where is everyone at now? Gurley is falling off the map thanks to an anemic O-Line. Cooper is staying pretty solid. Winston is looking good. I'd also like to throw out a couple of defensive names in Ronald Darby and Marcus Peters. They are both playing at a very high level, and are arguably the best DBs on their teams as rookies.

Edited by Boy Named Suh
  • Like 1

So where is everyone at now? Gurley is falling off the map thanks to an anemic O-Line. Cooper is staying pretty solid. Winston is looking good. I'd also like to throw out a couple of defensive names in Ronald Darby and Marcus Cooper. They are both playing at a very high level, and are arguably the best DBs on their teams as rookies.

:unsure:

Yeah, I don't see making a case for Mariota and not for Winston. Winston (3,037) has more total yards by 276 yards, more TDs (22) by 1 and more INTs (11) by 2.

Gurley is about to break 1,000 total yards, but 6 TDs is pretty low.

Cooper is sitting at 920 yards and still only has 4 TDs, and probably out of the running unless he blows up in the next month.

If Cooper has two more big games (100 yards and a TD) then it is his to lose. I feel Gurley has run out of steam due to the Rams being awful. Winston and Mariota are closing the gap quickly.

OROY:

1. Gurley, but barely. Needs to pick it up or he'll drop very soon.

2. Cooper - Kind of unspectacular due to the lack of TDs, but still the best rookie WR this year. On pace for a 1,200 yard season.

3. Winston - has improved a TON since week 1. Could be the favorite by the end of the season, if he keeps this up and the rams keep sucking.

4. Mariota - on the outside looking in IMO, I think right now it's a horse race between Gurley/Cooper/Winston.

DROY:

1. Darby - this should be pretty much unanimous. It's very possible that he's a pro bowler this year. A lot of people will put Peters in this conversation, and while he's been very good, he's also been very inconsistent (which is normal for a rookie CB, just not DROY worthy).

It's got to be Winston. The guy has played really well for the Bucs. Mariota has also done a good job with a team limited in talent. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Mariota didn't jump to the top with that 87 yard TD run last week. None on the llst has overly impressed me save Gurley. However, he's played only 6 games. He would have to really turn it on down the stretch to win it over the two QB. Cooper also could rally but he too hasn't played been dominate is the last few games.