[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What have you learned this year?

oaklandfaders

This was my first time playing fantasy football--my girlfriend needed help with her team so I read like crazy 2 days before the draft about basic drafting strategy. Next year, I'll place an eve higher value on WR's rather than RB's (besides the top 5 or so) and I will care about defenses or QB even less (I took a QB in round 8 and a defense in the 12th round). I drafted pretty well, but probably grabbed some RB's (because I was told you should get those first) when I could have gotten a better WR.

Another big thing I learned is to not waste waiver wire picks on stuff you don't really need. I should have waited patiently for someone like Charles or Bell to go down before wasting a waiver wire pick. I'll change that next season.

Having said all that, I have a pretty solid team. And I am glad I was patient with people like Stewart and D. Murray.

Regarding using waiver wire picks that depends a lot on how your league handles them. Sounds like in your league the waiver order does not reset each week, so if you don't make a claim for 2-3 weeks you eventually move up to first place. Some leagues reset the waiver order each week using reverse standings. Some don't use waiver order at all, and use blind bidding (fake or real $) to allow all owners a shot to acquire any free agent.

In my league where waivers reset every week you cannot count on having a top pick (unless your team is good) so that player replacing an injured starter is somebody you need to grab before then. Or like Starks it was pretty clear he was better than Lacy and might replace him, you need to add them before he is named the starter, then he's on everybody's radar.

Being patient is important, it is good you learned that early.

FYI...the theory of draft RB first, was sound advice 10 yrs ago. Imo, you should tier draft these days...so the position you draft is determined by your draft position really. You have to adapt...

That being said, with all the injuries this year...i think no strategy would have resulted in better results for anyone. This years results have been determined bt happen-stance. I cant imagine anyone made it this year unscathed...

The biggest injury I have had to deal with was losing Lance Dunbar (at the time my 4th best RB). Have not had a single key QB/RB/WR get hurt and miss a lot of time.

But I had several bust or underperforming players like Peyton, Jordan Matthews, even Calvin/DT fall into that category. Oh and Ameer Abdullah, how can I forget that clod. All those guys were keepers or drafted in first 2 rounds (like rounds 6/7 in redraft).

One thing I learned is to trust my gut a little more over rankings, still kicking myself for keeping Jordan Matthews over Fitz.

Learned again that I am sick of the NFL and will never play fantasy again because I am sick of supporting Goodell and the NFLPA and the owners. Also learned this last year, and the year before that. Will probably learn it again next year.

That isn't learning, that is insanity (doing the same thing over and expecting different results).

The biggest injury I have had to deal with was losing Lance Dunbar (at the time my 4th best RB). Have not had a single key QB/RB/WR get hurt and miss a lot of time.

But I had several bust or underperforming players like Peyton, Jordan Matthews, even Calvin/DT fall into that category. Oh and Ameer Abdullah, how can I forget that clod. All those guys were keepers or drafted in first 2 rounds (like rounds 6/7 in redraft).

One thing I learned is to trust my gut a little more over rankings, still kicking myself for keeping Jordan Matthews over Fitz.

That isn't learning, that is insanity (doing the same thing over and expecting different results).

Quite possibly. The problem is memory loss. I forget my rage in the offseason and then there's nothing better to do in september again.

That sometimes the Fantasy Gods are cruel and early drafts suck balls

1. Jamal Charles

2. Jordy Nelson

3. Kelvin Benjamin

Stop drafting San Diego rookie running backs, That's right Melvin I'm looking at you

Oh, and (the really bad word) Jeremy Hill, (the really bad word) him in the heart

Take the guys you really like, even if you have to "reach." I took Gurley, Freeman and A. Robinson probably well before most would take them. In the past, I might have tried to outsmart everybody, sneak a TE or QB in there, hoping the guys I really wanted would come back around, and lose the guys I really liked. I ended up with crap at TE and QB, but it hasn't mattered.

What else can you learn when you already know it all, and have known it all for 25 years or more?

Funny, after typing that I got to thinking that the beauty/wonder of this 'game' is that you never really know much of anything, except that whenever you think you've got it figured it out something goes terribly wrong and you're left to wonder if you ever really knew anything at all.

But just wait til next year, then my new strategy will overwhelm all those wannbes!

Whatever. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The definition of insanity is doing things the same way and expecting different results....and yet every year at the draft I assume I am smarter than I am.

I give fantasy gods, you win, I admit it, I don't know what I'm doing.

Next year I will not:

Take a flyer on players almost every round. I haven't picked the 7 lottery numbers in a single ticket yet, so odds are I'm not going to pick 16 of them for my fantasy team. Maybe a flyer or two but not 10. The "if these guys all hit I'll have a dominate squad and look like a genius " plan usually has me dismantling a team through waivers by week 5.

... play the waiver wire as often as I shower. Pick up a moderate player after a good week, drop him after he comes back to earth the next week. Meanwhile the guy I drop for him goes on a 5 week tear. And now with two weeks left I have 1 measly dollar left in my budget.

...draft over weight out of shape RBs at 4 just because "I have to draft a RB in the first".

...draft just any rookie RB In round 4/5 just because of our rookie keeper rule. Thanks Mel. And certainly not two of them(see swinging for the fences draft strategy above) adding Tevin Coleman to that misery.

I'm sure this post will be edited to add much more before the end of the season. As for something I WILL do, I will revisit this post in mid-August next year. ?

Don't draft a quarterback early ever again (Peyton in the 3rd), good running backs are rare and wide recievers are a dime a dozen, good tight ends are rare (always draft Gronk), don't give up on players to soon, HANDCUFF YOUR SOLID RUNNING BACKS (it could be the o-line making them good).

Edited by popcrnchicken

What else can you learn when you already know it all, and have known it all for 25 years or more?

Funny, after typing that I got to thinking that the beauty/wonder of this 'game' is that you never really know much of anything, except that whenever you think you've got it figured it out something goes terribly wrong and you're left to wonder if you ever really knew anything at all.

But just wait til next year, then my new strategy will overwhelm all those wannbes!

Whatever. :rolleyes:

So true!! Lol