[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here we go again...

BA Baracus

Was just reading more in the Cleveland paper, sounds like the story referenced in the link by Mary Kay Cabot (who I cannot stand but is right to report this).

First I'm going to make the general assumption that most have, namely that he has a drinking problem (not a reach) and that is what he was in rehab for. The fact that he thinks he can still go out and drink socially is a bad sign.

But what really bugs me is he was handed the reigns, starting QB the rest of the season, no looking over your shoulder. The bye comes and the players get their 4-5 days off, he promises he will be on good behavior, won't get into any trouble.

I don't really give a manure what the NFL does, the Browns need to do something, but I doubt they will. I really do not see him changing or maturing, not before he flames out in the NFL. I don't want that to be on the Browns, or spin them further down the toilet.

And its total BS for him to say his focus is now on football and the upcoming Ravens game, I'm sure he and his people are trying to spin this and make it go away. His focus should have been more on football during the bye, or at least less on being out at some club drinking and hamming it up for the cameras (or basically what he did while in HS and college).

Was just reading more in the Cleveland paper, sounds like the story referenced in the link by Mary Kay Cabot (who I cannot stand but is right to report this).

First I'm going to make the general assumption that most have, namely that he has a drinking problem (not a reach) and that is what he was in rehab for. The fact that he thinks he can still go out and drink socially is a bad sign.

But what really bugs me is he was handed the reigns, starting QB the rest of the season, no looking over your shoulder. The bye comes and the players get their 4-5 days off, he promises he will be on good behavior, won't get into any trouble.

I don't really give a taco what the NFL does, the Browns need to do something, but I doubt they will. I really do not see him changing or maturing, not before he flames out in the NFL. I don't want that to be on the Browns, or spin them further down the toilet.

And its total BS for him to say his focus is now on football and the upcoming Ravens game, I'm sure he and his people are trying to spin this and make it go away. His focus should have been more on football during the bye, or at least less on being out at some club drinking and hamming it up for the cameras (or basically what he did while in HS and college).

He didn't get into trouble.

The Browns need to start him for the rest of the season, that's what they need to do.

One 15 second clip of him hanging out with friends doesn't mean that he went on a 6 day bender, it means he went out with his friends one night on his day off.

The only reason that this is a problem is because every goddamn a-hole on earth has a freaking camera on them 24/7. I am wondering when the club owners and party promoters are going to wise up and start confiscating everyone's electronics at the door, they would get an insane monopoly on business from professional athletes if they did.

• Like 1

Sorry BA but in this case where there is smoke there is fire. Somebody that has a drinking problem should not be going out clubbing with their friends.

Being videoed waving around a bottle of champagne is not good for him, it may not be "trouble" according to some, but if you're looking at it from the rehab for alcohol perspective it is trouble.

Yes the 24/7 media and all the dillweeds with video/camera on their phone contribute, but if he were not doing this there is no video to take and no story. I'm no saint, and its been a long time since I was 22, but for somebody in his position looking to make it in the NFL he is not acting properly IMHO.

Sorry BA but in this case where there is smoke there is fire. Somebody that has a drinking problem should not be going out clubbing with their friends.

Being videoed waving around a bottle of champagne is not good for him, it may not be "trouble" according to some, but if you're looking at it from the rehab for alcohol perspective it is trouble.

Yes the 24/7 media and all the dillweeds with video/camera on their phone contribute, but if he were not doing this there is no video to take and no story. I'm no saint, and its been a long time since I was 22, but for somebody in his position looking to make it in the NFL he is not acting properly IMHO.

Agreed, I'm only 25 and now I'm coming down from my partying stage. I never got accused of alcoholism and thankfully never got pulled over driving drunk although admittedly I've gone against my better judgement and have driven impaired numerous times. I've done drugs, showed up to work drunk from the night before, went streaking through campus... you name it.

The difference is, I'm a nobody and no-one cares about what I do. As a NFL player, particularly a fairly recognizable QB, you can't really be out doing these things mid-season. Sure, they deserve to have lives, hang out with their friends and all that.. but especially considering the circumstances(just getting out of rehab.) you can't do that... you just can't.

To me it shows me that Johnny Manziel is borderline retarded, and I'm sure the coaching staff realize that at this point, not a very admirable quality to have in a QB. These guys get paid the big bucks, they represent their respective franchises and they have to put on a show in public. Especially in the middle of the season, the only time the press really even bothers paying attention to football players.

Johnny Football is the 'It's a Small World After All' ride to Ken Stabler's 'Space Mountain'. His antics are pure vanilla compared to soooooo many past NFL stars. How much cocaine do you think LT, Irvin, and Manley would do on a Friday night before a Sunday game? I bet it was a manureload.

People need to quit freaking out over this non-news. I guess every NFL player should spend their free time at the Children's Hospital and if they don't then they should be benched.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I don't give a manure what NFL super stars do in their free time. The problem here is that he had gotten in trouble for "alcoholism" and had to go to rehab for it. Now mid-season, he decides he can go out and party it up with his buds, probably blowing thousands of dollars at the club living it up like a millionaire. Great for him, I bet he had fun, but he's freaking moron for doing so.

• Like 1

Per espn, McCown will start against the Ravens.

Johnny Football Lifestyle is the Browns no. 3 qb.

Statement from Mike Pettine: https://twitter.com/RapSheet?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Per espn, McCown will start against the Ravens.

Johnny Football is the Browns no. 3 qb.

Heard the same ...

Looks like Johnny Football has done everything possible to piss away his NFL career. With the uphill climb he already had to make in the NFL I will never understand why he choose to make it even harder by not applying himself in every way possible to enhance his chances for success. Total lack of work ethic.

• Like 2

He wants to go out, he can go out, why does everyone have to make a big deal if he still does his job?

I get that ... and it was even my first thought. Unfortunately he has established that he has a problem and his problem interferes with his work ethic and preparation for his job. What that means is until he has proven he has what it takes to make it in the NFL he has to stay clean and work hard AND he has to appear to be clean AND appear to be working hard. But Johnny wants to go out and drink MORE than he wants to succeed in the NFL, it is easier to hang out than it is to work hard.

• Like 3

Johnny Football is the 'It's a Small World After All' ride to Ken Stabler's 'Space Mountain'. His antics are pure vanilla compared to soooooo many past NFL stars. How much cocaine do you think LT, Irvin, and Manley would do on a Friday night before a Sunday game? I bet it was a tacoload.

People need to quit freaking out over this non-news. I guess every NFL player should spend their free time at the Children's Hospital and if they don't then they should be benched.

That was the past, this is the present. And they weren't doing it in public and having pics/vids taken and shared with the world.

I have no illusions that professional athletes are choir boys, that isn't the point. This isn't the NFL of 2-3-4 decades ago. This stuff is not going to be tolerated when it is public.

You can long for the good ole days but they are not coming back.

BTW, this non-news got Johnny Goofball benched, I'd say that's a pretty big story.

He wants to go out, he can go out, why does everyone have to make a big deal if he still does his job?

So you'd be fine having a multi million dollar company and a very prominent figure who had been in rehab for alcohol that goes out drinking? No problem right, its his free time to do what he wants with. Even if he is trusted with making decisions that directly impact your company and its image.

:crazy:

• Like 1

Define alcoholic... according to some it's more than 3 drinks a year. In that case maybe 90% of america needs rehab? Why did he go to rehab? Did he do something similar to what all young ppl do? Then got caught in the system of "reform" our american justice system loves? I dont know these answers, sooooo this is just media hype to me...

Define alcoholic... according to some it's more than 3 drinks a year. In that case maybe 90% of america needs rehab? Why did he go to rehab? Did he do something similar to what all young ppl do? Then got caught in the system of "reform" our american justice system loves? I dont know these answers, sooooo this is just media hype to me...

No...your doing it wrong.

Define addiction...

Fixed

I don't have to define anything.

I can make observations. When Johnny goes out and has a good time with his friends it impacts his ability to prepare for and do his job ... even to the point where the team had to find him for practice. When your drinking impacts your job you have a problem. Having already experienced this, Johnny should be hypersensitive to the whole idea of drinking leads to benching. And unless he is an idiot he has to realize his window of opportunity is rapidly closing. It is extremely hard to exploit an opportunity from the bench. At some point his team is going to decide he is not worth the investment and cut him loose. He is not exhibiting a great deal of intelligence, he is acting like he made it simply by being drafted.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

Heard the same ...

Looks like Johnny Football has done everything possible to piss away his NFL career. With the uphill climb he already had to make in the NFL I will never understand why he choose to make it even harder by not applying himself in every way possible to enhance his chances for success. Total lack of work ethic.

Exactly. He is getting paid a lot of money, and his bosses need to see a commitment to put the work in to be as good as he can possibly be when he takes the field. Coming out of rehab, you have to understand that you will be under the microscope. Then you are given the starting job. Magnification level just went up. To not understand that, and hit the party instead of the film room during your bye week shows a definite lack of maturity. That's fine if that's how he wants it. He can have a long career as a backup QB with a drinking problem, but no owner is going to let him consistently make them look foolish for going out on a limb for him and have him repay them by putting himself in another foolish situation. Well Jerry Jones might, but I digress.

I hope that Manziel gets his act together and gets his alcohol issues under control, but until he does, he shouldn't be surprised to be a backup.

Edited by Boy Named Suh
  • Like 1

Anybody who defines it like that is dismissed from any serious discussion of addiction, complete BS and not sure where you're getting that from (who the hell things that?).

The rest of your post is just you being uninformed so you excuse it as media hype. As a fan of the team drafted him (and knowing nothing about him before that) I've followed things and read up on his past. He has had this problem for a while, and it isn't him being "caught in the justice system" or some other nonsense.

Didn't the Browns prohibit him from drinking alcohol during the season? I thought I heard that somewhere. If that's the case, then he is wrong. If he agreed to those terms, then I have no sympathy for the guy.

...but is drinking with your buds wrong generally speaking? Absolutely not. I saw nothing in those videos that was illegal or immoral by USA red white and blue standards.

Didn't the Browns prohibit him from drinking alcohol during the season? I thought I heard that somewhere. If that's the case, then he is wrong. If he agreed to those terms, then I have no sympathy for the guy.

...but is drinking with your buds wrong generally speaking? Absolutely not. I saw nothing in those videos that was illegal or immoral by USA red white and blue standards.

I don't think the Browns prohibited from drinking. But he was in rehab, almost certainly for a drinking problem, has addiction issues. He should not be drinking at all, and should definitely not be out clubbing with his drinking buddies.

Who gives a (the really bad word) what is illegal or what people think is immoral.

Problem is you and others just consider him to be the average 22 year old maile, ignoring his rehab, known drinking problem, and celebrity status as a pro athlete. Not sure why that is, seems pretty misguided to me.

Not the point. The point is that he has demonstrated that when he drinks with his buddies it impacts his ability to prepare for and do his job. Obviously the video doesn't present us with any evidence of legal wrong doing. What it does show us is that he is still immature and doesn't value his NFL career as much as he values drinking with his buddies. Either that, or it shows us that he is an idiot that can't connect the dots ... and a demonstration of a lack of intelligence when your physical skills are already being questioned is not a way to secure a job as an NFL QB.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1