[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Here we go again...

BA Baracus

I don't think the Browns prohibited from drinking. But he was in rehab, almost certainly for a drinking problem, has addiction issues. He should not be drinking at all, and should definitely not be out clubbing with his drinking buddies.

Who gives a smoochie what is illegal or what people think is immoral.

Problem is you and others just consider him to be the average 22 year old maile, ignoring his rehab, known drinking problem, and celebrity status as a pro athlete. Not sure why that is, seems pretty misguided to me.

I don't know what exactly is his problem or to what extent. I don't know what the Browns expect of him off-the-field. I just know that I saw nothing wrong in those videos, man. I don't see how he embarrassed the organization or whatever. Like I said, unless there is something in his contract that prohibits such behavior, I see no problem with what he did.

Heard the same ...

Looks like Johnny Football has done everything possible to piss away his NFL career. With the uphill climb he already had to make in the NFL I will never understand why he choose to make it even harder by not applying himself in every way possible to enhance his chances for success. Total lack of work ethic.

can't fix stupid

I don't know what exactly is his problem or to what extent. I don't know what the Browns expect of him off-the-field. I just know that I saw nothing wrong in those videos, man. I don't see how he embarrassed the organization or whatever. Like I said, unless there is something in his contract that prohibits such behavior, I see no problem with what he did.

Not at all surprising from a cowboys fan. He wouldn't even be a blip on the radar down there.

You see nothing wrong with someone who spent 2 months in rehab, going out and partying? You don't think this shows an extreme lack of judgement? You don't see how this breaks a huge amount of trust that the Browns threw his way?

• Like 1

Not the point. The point is that he has demonstrated that when he drinks with his buddies it impacts his ability to prepare for and do his job. Obviously the video doesn't present us with any evidence of legal wrong doing. What it does show us is that he is still immature and doesn't value his NFL career as much as he values drinking with his buddies. Either that, or it shows us that he is an idiot that can't connect the dots ... and a demonstration of a lack of intelligence when your physical skills are already being questioned is not a way to secure a job as an NFL QB.

Like I said, generally speaking (Manziel aside) I saw nothing wrong in those videos. Now, if what he is doing off-the-field is affecting his ability to do his job as a QB, then why hasn't the team cut him yet? He's been doing chit like this for years now. Hell, they knew about it before they drafted him.

You see nothing wrong with someone who spent 2 months in rehab, going out and partying? You don't think this shows an extreme lack of judgement? You don't see how this breaks a huge amount of trust that the Browns threw his way?

Like I said, the Browns knew what they were getting into when they drafted him. You mean to tell me you don't blame the Browns for any of this? Why haven't they cut him yet? This is not the first issue they have had with him.

People are pointing to the latest incidnet and asking, "what's the big deal?" "Why can't a guy go out and have some drinks with his friends?" etc.... The problem is that everytime Johnny has gotten into trouble, alcohol was at the center of the problem. Yeah, he can probably go out and have some drinks most of the time and it's no big deal. But his drinking gets him into trouble. The incident with the gf was alcohol realted. The Browns have drafted a marginal talent (IMO) to be their QB and he can't keep it together when it comes to drinking. They have the right as his employer to set whatever guidelines they want to make sure he can be as succesful as he can be. If he's out getting into scuffles, smacking around his gf, whatever, there is no telling how far it might go. We're not talking about an Andrew Luck here. He should be focused on his job and giving the oppourtunity he just was, starting QB for the rest of '15, his energy should be spent on learning how to be an NFL QB.

• Like 1

Like I said, the Browns knew what they were getting into when they drafted him. You mean to tell me you don't blame the Browns for any of this? Why haven't they cut him yet? This is not the first issue they have had with him.

so they should just shrug their shoulders and chalk it up as Johnny being Johnny? Sorry, not how it works in any profession.

You are missing the fact that Johnny has gone through rehab and promised the fans, the city and most importantly his teammates he can be relied on when clearly, he can't

Edited by loaf
  • Like 1

It boils down to the simple question of "Can I trust this guy to lead my team?" One game after getting the nod as uncontested starter for the rest of the season a guy that's recently been in rehab is out drinking. Is that really the vision of someone you can trust? It seems like it's just a few drinks with friends, but the problem with alcoholics is that once they get started it becomes near impossible to stop of their own volition. My younger brother is an alcoholic (as were numerous other members of my extended family), and about four or five years ago I remember dropping him at the airport so he could fly to San Fran for a Tool concert, at this time he'd been dry about a year or so. About 3 hours later I got a call from the local PD to come pick him up because he got blackout drunk in the airport bar and missed his flight, and this is just one of countless issues that have cropped up. Obviously this is just my own personal experience, and I wouldn't assume that everyone behaves the same, but if I'm running a multi-million dollar organization it's a simple question of why take the chance, especially considering that the guy is of middling talent compared to any number of QB's.

• Like 4

Not at all surprising from a cowboys fan. He wouldn't even be a blip on the radar down there.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the guy is an idiot and is throwing away an amazing opportunity.

...I'm just trying to highlight the bigger issue here which is the incompetence of the Cleveland Browns. Everybody is calling for Johnny's head, but I see nobody on here blaming the Browns for holding onto this "headache."

Babe Ruth, Dennis Rodman, Don Drysdale,Michael Irvin, LT, Joe Namath..............

I'm not putting him in that company, but imagine those guys and many more like them playing today.... :lol:

On a serious note, I am a recovering alcoholic and began my battle 1yr ago. I myself have tripped twice and have felt the wrath from the film induatry. If he is truly sincere, he will get up, dust himself off and keep trying. It might take him being cut or traded to wake up. I don't think he has the right people surrounding him either. I remember a very rebellious Dez Bryant being assigned baby sitters to straighten him out. And by all accounts (and his silly media outburst means nothing) he's straightened up. I think the absolute best thing for him and Cleveland is to part ways.

• Like 1

It boils down to the simple question of "Can I trust this guy to lead my team?" One game after getting the nod as uncontested starter for the rest of the season a guy that's recently been in rehab is out drinking. Is that really the vision of someone you can trust? It seems like it's just a few drinks with friends, but the problem with alcoholics is that once they get started it becomes near impossible to stop of their own volition. My younger brother is an alcoholic (as were numerous other members of my extended family), and about four or five years ago I remember dropping him at the airport so he could fly to San Fran for a Tool concert, at this time he'd been dry about a year or so. About 3 hours later I got a call from the local PD to come pick him up because he got blackout drunk in the airport bar and missed his flight, and this is just one of countless issues that have cropped up. Obviously this is just my own personal experience, and I wouldn't assume that everyone behaves the same, but if I'm running a multi-million dollar organization it's a simple question of why take the chance, especially considering that the guy is of middling talent compared to any number of QB's.

Sorry about your bro...but very well said.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that the guy is an idiot and is throwing away an amazing opportunity.

...I'm just trying to highlight the bigger issue here which is the incompetence of the Cleveland Browns. Everybody is calling for Johnny's head, but I see nobody on here blaming the Browns for holding onto this "headache."

I feel you, and I really wasn't trying to be snarky with my comment. I really feel that Jerry lets the guys get away with too much, and it may color the way cowboys fans view what is acceptable behavior without realizing that there are owners and general managers who expect results when they give a guy a chance to start after a stint in rehab.

As for the Browns, it looks like they may be about done and ready to cut their losses. Well, maybe that's extreme, but they are benching him. I think that they did the right thing by giving him his shot after rehab, but I don't believe that they are enabling him now, as they are speaking out publicly and benching him.

The incompetence of the Cleveland organization does nothing to absolve Johnny from his behavior. He put himself in a position where he can't be trusted to have a couple of drinks with his friends ... because he lacks control. All Johnny had to do was stay away from alcohol for the remainder of the season to try to make the most of the opportunity given to him by the Browns. The Browns were prepared to let him prove himself ... and he proved himself by going to a bar and knocking a few cold ones back. Johnny has proved time and time again that he lacks maturity and cares more about socializing and drinking than he does about football. So no surprise, he won't be playing football much longer.

• Like 1

I feel you, and I really wasn't trying to be snarky with my comment. I really feel that Jerry lets the guys get away with too much, and it may color the way cowboys fans view what is acceptable behavior without realizing that there are owners and general managers who expect results when they give a guy a chance to start after a stint in rehab.

I find your post condescending and rude. And I don't appreciate it one bit
  • Like 1

so they should just shrug their shoulders and chalk it up as Johnny being Johnny? Sorry, not how it works in any profession.

You are missing the fact that Johnny has gone through rehab and promised the fans, the city and most importantly his teammates he can be relied on when clearly, he can't

No. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that the Browns knew from the very beginning what they were getting into when they drafted this kid. So, why blame Manziel? Johnny IS going to be Johnny; there's obviously no stopping that. So why keep him if he's such a headache? The Browns are more pathetic than Manziel IMO.

As for the Browns, it looks like they may be about done and ready to cut their losses. Well, maybe that's extreme, but they are benching him. I think that they did the right thing by giving him his shot after rehab, but I don't believe that they are enabling him now, as they are speaking out publicly and benching him.

They benched him before and they spoke out publicly before. They need to do what they should have done a long time ago and cut him. Even on the bench he is still a liability, but like I said, the Browns are a completely incompetent organization. Browns fans need to open their eyes and stop blaming Manziel for broken promises and start blaming the Browns for making such terrible personnel decisions.

...as a Cowboys fan, I know about this all too well.

Edited by Macksimus

He's 22. He got a little wild on his team's bye week. Who cares. If I were him, I'd be annoyed that he has different rules than anyone else. He hasn't done anything too bad. Manziel is only making $794,936 this year and is under contract for 3 more years for little money. He has a long time before he needs to grow up. And he can make more money and get in a better situation than Cleveland by being cut.

You also are missing the big picture.

He has shown in the past that when he drinks he lacks control and can't be responsible. When he should have been preparing himself for the coming game (whether or not he is the named starter) he was sleeping off a bender. He spent his whole rookie year in the NFL more worried about where the next party was than he did learning the playbook. He appeared to realize the error of his ways when he put himself in rehab the previous summer ... but now it looks like that may have been lip service simply to save his job. Now when the team tells him that they are going to let him step up and lead the team for the remainder of the season what does he do ... he parties. His youth is not an excuse, and Cleveland isn't going to wait for him to grow up.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 1

It was stink bait ... and you hit it ... :fishy:

Nah, I recognize the sarcasm. Would anyone disagree that Jerry has the most lax discipline policy of any owner or GM in the NFL? Look at the last couple weeks of Hardy testing him by missing or being late to meetings. He's testing to see if there is anything that he can do to get disciplined, and Jerry is pretending like he didn't see anything. Regardless of skill level, any other owner or GM would have dropped the hammer and at least fined the guy by now.

Do you think Jerry still wishes he had drafted Johnny. I'm betting he does.

Edited by Boy Named Suh

I don't have to define anything.

I can make observations. When Johnny goes out and has a good time with his friends it impacts his ability to prepare for and do his job ... even to the point where the team had to find him for practice. When your drinking impacts your job you have a problem. Having already experienced this, Johnny should be hypersensitive to the whole idea of drinking leads to benching. And unless he is an idiot he has to realize his window of opportunity is rapidly closing. It is extremely hard to exploit an opportunity from the bench. At some point his team is going to decide he is not worth the investment and cut him loose. He is not exhibiting a great deal of intelligence, he is acting like he made it simply by being drafted.

I agree, but it's HIS opportunity to lose...why do we care? I dont...lol Edited by awesomebench
  • Like 1