[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Inactive owner

tylcook13

I'm thinking Im going to say something to my league but I wanted some imput from the vets first. The owner I'm playing this week is in last place with no hope of making the playoffs. He hasn't set his lineup any differetly for about three weeks now. Over that span he played a bye week player when he had a replacement. He played Ryan Matthews and Sam Bradford last week when Im assuming everybody knew they wouldn't play (not sure). Well this week he plays me and he has set his lineup as favorably as he could. Switching out Bradford for Russel Wilson who he had on the bench this whole time. What do you guys think? Should I say something? Hes still projected to lose to me by 30 but I don't feel its fair.

Edited by tylcook13

I'd be vocal as hell about that. At it's worst it's collusion. More likely he just decided to log on and play for the hell of it. But you can't no show 3 previous weeks and then try to play again if it could affect the standings. If it's not a money league, you may have to just let it roll but if there is money involved, the commish needs to step in.

Well this is better than the trade veto questions that usually come up. I'd say suck it up princess.

Although, I'd confirm it was actually him adjusting his roster, and not the Commish. If the Commish is adjusting his roster then there could be some issues here...

Edited by marcheese

Yeah he was inactive then popped back in this week to set his lineup better against me. I don't know if there is anything to it really. Just that he was giving away wins to other owners playing bye players and people who weren't going to start.

Edited by tylcook13

Yes it is a money league over 100 dollars per owner. There is some incentive to do well even in last place for draft picks next year. 12 man league, bottom six play in a losers bracket with first place getting the first pick next year. 6th and 7th place teams get byes the first week. However there is no hope for him to earn a bye and since he hasn't set his lineup for awhile now I feel that he should have no excuse for his standing since he was inactive 3 weeks prior.

Edited by tylcook13

Yes Grits you are right. I chalked this one up as a win already figuring he would have the same lineup against me. I do feel it would be somewhat of a dick move to complain about this but at the same time I'm not exactly sure its fair. Just wondering if anybody has had this happen before and if there is a precedent for it?

Edited by tylcook13

Yes Grits you are right. I chalked this one up as a win already figuring he would have the same lineup against me. I do feel it would be somewhat of a dick move to complain about this but at the same time Im not exactly sure its fair. Just wondering if anybody has had this happen before and if there is a precedent for it?

You weren't worried about "fair" until he set his lineup against you ...

• Like 2

I may be mental, but I'd rather beat someone with a set lineup. It is pretty hollow beating someone 100-23 because they still have Lance Dunbar and Keenan Allen in their lineup. Having said that, I do feel for you that this guy seems to have decided to come back to life now that it's getting close to playoff time.

He was inactive playing bye week players and players he should have known weren't going to play. Maybe those owners the last few weeks are his friends. I am in competition with those owners over a playoff spot. By not setting his lineup over the past few weeks it helped them, may have even got them some wins. A couple of those games were very close. Now he has decided to maximize his lineup against me out of nowhere with no hope of improving his last place position even if he wins out. It is a game and I'm sure he would like to win still but if he wanted to pull some wins just for fun why take a few weeks off in the first place? He probably still had a chance to make the playoffs a few weeks ago and now that it doesn't matter he decides to set his lineup?

Edited by tylcook13

Not much you can do. An owner who was asleep at the wheel suddenly woke up. I had a guy start Trent Richardson the first 2 weeks of the season and he wasn't even on an NFL roster. Then the guy finally dropped & replaced him. It wasn't against the rules. The guy just neglected his team for a couple weeks.

Yes Grits you are right. I chalked this one up as a win already figuring he would have the same lineup against me. I do feel it would be somewhat of a dick move to complain about this but at the same time Im not exactly sure its fair. Just wondering if anybody has had this happen before and if there is a precedent for it?

This literally just happened to me in one of my leagues this last week. I'm still pissed about it but the commish handled it per the rules we have in place so I don't blame him...just the dumbass absentee owner. This is just one reason why teams who think about tanking should think twice. It sucks to be on the other end of that. This kind of cr@p really affects the competitive balance of leagues.

Edited by Trojanmojo

He was inactive playing bye week players and players he should have known weren't going to play. Maybe those owners the last few weeks are his friends. I am in competition with those owners over a playoff spot. By not setting his lineup over the past few weeks it helped them, may have even got them some wins. A couple of those games were very close. Now he has decided to maximize his lineup against me out of nowhere with no hopes of improving his last place position even if he wins out. It is a game and I'm sure he would like to win still but if he wanted to pull some wins just for fun why take a few weeks off (he probably still had a chance to make the playoffs a few weeks ago) and now suddenly set his lineup?

Maybe friends, may have lost, why now, yada yada yada...

A lot of unknowns here that you're trying to imply conclusions from and it all comes back to the same thing, unless you can prove some sort of collusive actions you are not entitled to face the same lineup as others. Again unlucky for you, but them's the breaks.

If you want to mention to the commish the inactivity so its noted for the future there's no harm in that. However if you are here to push some type of action to face a weaker lineup this week, well I fear that seems like sour grapes based on the information provided.

You weren't worried about "fair" until he set his lineup against you ...

I thought he had just called it a year at least until loser bracket playoffs. Understandable with a horrible team although I do not agree with it. That would make it fair for the last 5 teams on his schedule before playoffs at least, instead of trying to snipe me which I see as somewhat unfair. You are right though that it isn't fair for owners who played him the first half of the season when he was trying. Maybe he should have just not played this season at all, or rode it out the whole way.

Def. I see your point and I agree. It is mostly sour grapes, I will admit. Just wondering what I should do, if anything, or if there is a precedent for this type of thing. I would assume it's fairly common. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by tylcook13

If you noticed it weeks ago you should have spoken up then. Unless the league manager is the one setting it now I don't think you have any right to complain.

I didn't notice it until a few days ago when I was scoping out my future opponent. The more I think about it I agree there isn't much to complain about now, just bad luck most likely.

Edited by tylcook13

Seems to me that you made this bed when you were content to allow his previous inactivity. How do you tell an owner that he needs to return to inactivity because it is unfair that he try to set his best lineup now?

Agree with this...it should have been addressed with the league the first week it happened. Now you have to accept his lineup, and the league should talk about assigning his account to someone else or let him continue. You should have spoke up the first week it happened...

Edited by awesomebench

Def. I see your point and I agree. It is mostly sour grapes, I will admit. Just wondering what I should do, if anything, or if there is a precedent for this type of thing. I would assume it's fairly common. Thanks for the advice.

I would bring it up to the commish. If they are a decent commish they should talk to the owner to prevent the behavior occurring again or if it has happened in previous seasons maybe even replace the owner depending on the circumstances. Nothing else you really can do. Good luck this weekend!

Yes Grits you are right. I chalked this one up as a win already figuring he would have the same lineup against me. I do feel it would be somewhat of a dick move to complain about this but at the same time I'm not exactly sure its fair. Just wondering if anybody has had this happen before and if there is a precedent for it?

This happens all the time.

How long has the league been in existence and are the other GM's friends of yours? If you are comfortable, you should speak to the commish about it on the side immediately, just stating that it's a lame move on that guy's part to be inactive/active, and the commish's fault for not being vocal about it already.

When appropriate, bring it up to the league. I wouldn't play with people that aren't going to respect the league and I'm sure other GM's might be oblivious to it. Not setting lineups can't be tolerated.

Here's a scenario for you OP. My girlfriend and I are in a league, she's Undefeated. Half her team is on bye last week Brown, Brees, Barnidge ect. ect.. She's playing an inactive owner who hasn't set his lineup in a couple weeks, just like your scenario. He ends up playing two inactive players, Alshon and someone else, I forgot. And my Girlfriend's team craps the bed, it's a close game but she's winning by 30 points. Her opponent still has Lynch starting... again because of his neglect. One of the other members in the league sees this happening and gives the owner a call and tells him Lynch is sitting and he needs to switch in Rawls.

Well the rest is history, but my Girlfriend obviously lost. She was obviously pissed about it, because the other owner just wanted her to lose and had no real stake in the game. Now is that a wrong thing for that owner to do? I told my girlfriend it didn't even matter since she clinched the playoffs anyway, but she's a sore loser. But honestly even if the game did matter and even if it cost her the playoffs... I still don't think it's really "unfair."

Curious as to what you guys would think.