[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Johnny "Football,"err, I mean Johnny "Party"

the outlaw

Here we go again...none of my business, personally, and I could really care less what happens to him ultimately, but it sure does feel as if he's intentionally TRYING to punch his ticket out of CLE, which makes for a fascinating story...

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel

He is allowed to drink. This is some non-news.

I'm just appalled he was drinking some beer on Christmas Eve. This is just stupid at this point.

How dare a mid 20 year old kid live his life. He should be ashamed. I'm glad I don't have millions of eyes judging my 20s

100% understand he is legally "allowed" to drink (and, I'm also aware there was similar discussion/debate on this same topic previously), but for some reason his boss doesn't share your/our opinion on the matter...regardless, it is "NFL news"...

I guess the "real" topic here is, "should" your boss/employer (outside of national security or public safety) have the right to restrict your ability to engage in behavior which is perfectly legal in the eyes of the law, but which (for whatever reason, right, wrong, or indifferent), they deem inappropriate or detrimental to the image of the organization?

Edited by the outlaw

100% understand he is legally "allowed" to drink (and, I'm also aware there was similar discussion/debate on this same topic previously), but for some reason his boss doesn't share your/our opinion on the matter...regardless, it is "NFL news"...

I guess the "real" topic here is, "should" your boss/employer (outside of national security or public safety) have the right to restrict your ability to engage in behavior which is perfectly legal in the eyes of the law, but which (for whatever reason, right, wrong, or indifferent), they deem inappropriate or detrimental to the image of the organization?

Always been his way. When he was with Texas A&M people didn't realise how hard he worked to become a better QB especially in his redshirt year when he was running the scout team offense. But he still went out and partied a lot then as well, only difference I guess is in college you can get away with it especially when you're a success like he was whereas in the NFL you can't.

In a general sense no but working as a pro footballer for a living is very different to the sort of jobs most of us have I'm guessing. This was kind of similar to the debate over Josh Gordon whose final suspension was for alcohol despite it being completely legal for him to drink.

I like others could personally care less what this kid does. But I also don't understand why anyone would defend him either. He has put himself in this situation due to his actions in the past. No it is not illegal for him to drink, but clearly there has been an expectation set between him and the organization that he will avoid drinking. And for some reason he is too stupid to make sure that if he is drinking, that nobody is video recording it.

• Like 1

I like others could personally care less what this kid does. But I also don't understand why anyone would defend him either. He has put himself in this situation due to his actions in the past. No it is not illegal for him to drink, but clearly there has been an expectation set between him and the organization that he will avoid drinking. And for some reason he is too stupid to make sure that if he is drinking, that nobody is video recording it.

I would say it's less defending Manziel and more the growing distaste for the TMZesque "reporting" in sports media now. These guys are so desperate for a story these days that Johnny Football drinking a beer is big news. And when they can't find a huge story like this then they just make taco up.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 3

I would say it's less defending Manziel and more the growing distaste for the TMZesque "reporting" in sports media now. These guys are so desperate for a story these days that Johnny Football drinking a beer is big news. And when they can find a huge story like this then they just make taco up.

Bingo!

I am so sick of this bull$hit tabloid nonsense making its way into the sports reporting news feed. Johnny had a freaking beer. BIG GODDAMN DEAL.

This is more related to Josh Gordon, but I am also sick of the league's ridiculously inconsistent approach to discipline. Substance abusers are crucified as heretics, while violent sociopaths get a blind eye. It's a f@cking joke.

• Like 1

I would say it's less defending Manziel and more the growing distaste for the TMZesque "reporting" in sports media now. These guys are so desperate for a story these days that Johnny Football drinking a beer is big news. And when they can find a huge story like this then they just make taco up.

Bingo!

I am so sick of this bull$hit tabloid nonsense making its way into the sports reporting news feed. Johnny had a freaking beer. BIG GODDAMN DEAL.

This is more related to Josh Gordon, but I am also sick of the league's ridiculously inconsistent approach to discipline. Substance abusers are crucified as heretics, while violent sociopaths get a blind eye. It's a f@cking joke.

Yes.

But let's take this to about 12-15 pages since it's important to state opinions that have already been posted in previous threads about this.

Yes.

But let's take this to about 12-15 pages since it's important to state opinions that have already been posted in previous threads about this.

C'mon Gil. It's the offseason. We need to argue among ourselves about something.

• Like 1

Agreed, but this is the world he/we live in now. If he is going to have a beer, make sure nobody is video recording it.

Guess I could've resurrected the old thread, but since this was yet another "new" recurrence of the same 'ol manure, thought it deserved its own thread...we could probably put all of these players with disciplinary issues under one big dunb@$$ thread and the comments would largely be the same, but what fun would that be? LOL

I guess, as a reader, you also have the right to completely skip over a thread you don't deem "worthy" of your precious time, right? ;) I mean I tried to title it in a manner that would be clear to anyone skimming through the forum, as to what you would be reading about!

Anyway, I 100% agree the NFL's disciplinary process is one huge, inconsistent joke! (Although, I could be completely wrong, but hasn't all of JF's "penalties" thus far been team-imposed, rather than League-imposed?)

Edited by the outlaw

Agreed, but this is the world he/we live in now. If he is going to have a beer, make sure nobody is video recording it.

Depends whose videoing it. I'm sure he'd be in more trouble if a random member of the public is filming and he then kicks off on that person for filming without his permission. Last thing he needs is to be done for assault or causing a disturbance.

I guess the lesson is to drink at home where you have more control of the situation.

Edited by Dolphin_Akie

Yes.

My opinion will be heard. You don't have to like it.

:shades:

• Like 1

I guess the lesson is to drink at home where you have more control of the situation.

Goddamn that's depressing.

'I drink alone...yeah...with nobody else...you know when I drink alone...I prefer to be by myself'

Goddamn that's depressing.

'I drink alone...yeah...with nobody else...you know when I drink alone...I prefer to be by myself'

Wow! That's a pull from the past. LOL

Wonder how many on this board are even old enough to know who George Thorogood is? LMAO

• Like 1