[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chuck Pagano to be fired

darin3

Not surprising. The feel good story from last season really clouds the fact that he hasn't really gotten along with the team brass. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on as a coordinator somewhere versus going for a head coaching job.

Grigson is clearly Irsay's puppet. When Grigson ordered Pagano to play certain players, it was probably at Irsay's behest. I'm so glad the Packers don't have meddling owners.

I don't know where you are getting this. Irsay clearly has some issues, but meddling hasn't been one of them. He was the Colts GM in the 80's and did an awful job. When he became owner, he has done a great job of finding strong GM's and letting them run the show.

This is clearly a Grigson/Pagano issue. Pagano is just an average coach. Grigson had a great first draft, and made a great trade for Vontae Davis. But since then, his decisions have not been so good. Trading a first rounder for Trent Richardson. Drafting Bjoern Werner. Ignoring the offensive line. A lot of questionable free agent decision. He is a first time GM, and I can see him getting some leeway, but the meddling with the coach has been rumored for a while. Kravitz article just confirmed it. And undermining the discipline on the team! He has to go.

Wow. I can't remember a team with a franchise (elite) QB with this much dysfunction at the coach and management levels. Usually the great QBs get stability at the coaching level, or maybe because they're great they create that stability. Maybe someone with better NFL historical knowledge can remind me how often something like this has happened before.

smart move. Irsay must be sober. Get the guys on the same page and ride out the rough patch. Draft and acquire OL's and the team will be just fine.

Nah - Grigson will blame the season on losing Luck and will draft another QB with their top pick.

Nah - Grigson will blame the season on losing Luck and will draft another QB with their top pick.

Shorttynaz, maybe it's just me, but you've seemed to be a bit more negative this year about our beloved Colts.

I actually think the negativity started around the time you changed your profile image from the hot girl in lingerie to the short fat wrestling kid....... In fact, I think that's when everything went south with the team as well!!!

I think it would spur everyone's confidence and get us back into winning ways if you went back to your old profile image! :brow:

• Like 4

I am going to guess 1st round TE after signing both Allen and Fleener to big contracts.

I'm guessing Grigson will also sign washed up 30 something free agent rb and one washed up 30 something free agent wr as usual.

Surprised he and Pagano are both returning. :blink:

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Shorttynaz, maybe it's just me, but you've seemed to be a bit more negative this year about our beloved Colts.

I actually think the negativity started around the time you changed your profile image from the hot girl in lingerie to the short fat wrestling kid....... In fact, I think that's when everything went south with the team as well!!!

I think it would spur everyone's confidence and get us back into winning ways if you went back to your old profile image! :brow:

here here!

He can't. It's been blocked by the powers that be.

• Like 1

Think back to season's opening. Who here thought Andre Johnson would fall off a cliff? Who here thought he would be at least a servicable 3rd option behind Hilton and Moncrief? And could he have been had the line given Luck (had he stayed healthy) more than a one mississippi to throw the ball?​ I recall quite a few sites that had Johnson as one of the top 20 receivers given the situation he was put in. On paper it looked like a great signing. It may even turn out to be in the long run. Should those writers be fired?

The OL is lacking obviously. That is a need. They can get that via FA. The D is solid if unspectacular. D'Qwell Jackson was a great signing. The corners were banged up but Vontae still gave solid shutdown performance and Toler was a serviceable #2.

The Trent signing was a mistake but was an understandable risk to take for a guy who looked like he could have been something spectacular coming out of college. He was in the Browns organization which, to anyone with eyes and ears, would limit anyone's potential. Grigson thought the same thing everyone else did...get him in here (on the cheap), he'll shine. Nope. Whiff on that one. Doesn't deserve a firing.

Yeah I'm sure Pagano was pissed at the results he got outta the guys he didn't choose, but he's not a GM. I'm sure there's some friction there. You take my 11 win team and turn them into this when I'm calling the same gameplan. I get it.

Irsay made a good move by giving it at least one more year to work itself out. Everyone is so quick to want change immediately. But ask yourself this, who you gonna get? Who's better out there that's going to turn it around based on who's available and who's got a better proven past record? Rash, reactionary splash hirings .... they look good on paper and placate a fanbase year after year, but where are the results? Go with the stats, look at Pagano/Grigson's record over the past 3 years. Look at Jay Gruden this year. Snyder actually showed remarkable restraint for a dumbass, stayed the course, and trusted the guys he hired. Let that be your model.

Irsay had a moment of clarity here and I applaud him for it. See you next year around this time but I would wager the Colts with the right signings are right back in the playoffs.

• Like 1

I know I'm pulling this out of context, and mid-season I was on the bandwagon of manurecanning Pagano. But - as the season went on I kind of had a change of heart. The players LOVE playing for the guy and that was shown again tonight by all the player tweets, etc.

I'm about to take a page out of BeeR's book here and just vent a little. It's hard to come down on a first time GM, but Ryan Grigson - the only decent move he's made as the GM of the Colts was trade for Vontae Davis. I'm not even gonna say he had a good draft in 2012 cause it's hard to f' up the #1 overall pick when you have a franchise QB slapping you in the face. He drafted Bjorn Werner in 2013 with their first pick - some had him as a 3rd or 4th round talent. He was the mastermind behind one of the proverbial top 10 all time worst trades of the NFL in giving up their top pick for an Eddie Lacy wannabe in turn drafting Mewhort (an o-lineman who specializes in nothing, but rumored to be capable of playing every position on the line). He took Moncrief in the 3rd round - so there's a hit, but throw enough isht at a wall and one cowpie is bound to stick. Last year he had a gift in his choice of Malcom Brown, Demarious Randall, or Landon Collins all waiting for their name to be called and immediately fill a need. Instead he misses on another WR prospect in which they have umpteen players capable of catching a ball.

He's overpaid for a safety (Landry) who's more into bodybuilding than he is at actually tackling someone. He's overpaid for mediocre lineman (Thomas, Cherilus, & Herremans) who lived up to their mediocre talent. He overpaid for DHB who came in and did nothing. He overpaid for Hakeem Nicks who came in and did nothing. He overpaid for Andre Johnson who came in and did nothing. He overpaid for an aging RB with little tread left on the tires with NO backup plan. Hell - may as well have wasted your 1st round pick on TJ Yeldon - at least you would have had your RB situation set after Gore's 1 & done..

The Colts biggest weakness stemming all the way back to the mid-late 90's has been their inability to stop the run. You do that and you can get by with a semi above average secondary. They can't pass block to give anyone any f'n time to survey the field longer than 2 seconds. They can't run block for isht either. But hey - lets just keep ignoring the glaring needs, and keep trying to build a fantasy football team - cause that's all he's done. After giving this bafoon an extension today, Jim Irsay needs to fire himself!

Think back to season's opening. Who here thought Andre Johnson would fall off a cliff? Who here thought he would be at least a servicable 3rd option behind Hilton and Moncrief? And could he have been had the line given Luck (had he stayed healthy) more than a one mississippi to throw the ball?​ I recall quite a few sites that had Johnson as one of the top 20 receivers given the situation he was put in. On paper it looked like a great signing. It may even turn out to be in the long run. Should those writers be fired?

Clearly the Texans did.