[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns apparently to cut ties with Manziel

colkurtz

Johnny didn't show up for team medical eval today and ignored attempts to track him down. Browns said to be "so done" with him.

He says he wants to go to Dallas, who I'm sure will jump at the chance for an expensive, immature alcoholic prima donna to back up Romo.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25436697/report-browns-are-done-with-johnny-manziel-who-wants-to-go-to-dallas

And Dallas would be nuts to not give him a shot. He has talent. They'll have him on a short leash with incentive-based pay, so he'd have to be an absolute idiot to jack it up. We may see if he's actually an idiot or just sowing his youthful oats.

I'd probably be a drunk and do everything to get out of Cleveland too.. I compare The Browns to that one building that every small town has that was once a laundromat and then a pawn shop then a take out then a pay day loan office etc etc etc. Just a constant recycling of garbage players , garbage coaches and gms and awful decisions. I hope for their fans that they can get it together

And Dallas would be nuts to not give him a shot. He has talent. They'll have him on a short leash with incentive-based pay, so he'd have to be an absolute idiot to jack it up. We may see if he's actually an idiot or just sowing his youthful oats.

This.

I mean, that's why psychopaths who damn near kill a woman still see the field. Oh, my bad, I forgot how much worse it is for Johnny to party than it is to throw a girl around a room by her hair.

What exactly did Manziel do that was so bad again? I'm not old enough to remember Namath, Stabler but I do recall LT and Deion being hard partiers and still awesome performers. I would also agree he's just looking to escape the dumpster fire that is CLE and couldn't care less how he treat(ed) the outgoing administration. If Dallas gets him for next to nothing more power to them and it will probably be a shrewd move.

What exactly did Manziel do that was so bad again? I'm not old enough to remember Namath, Stabler but I do recall LT and Deion being hard partiers and still awesome performers. I would also agree he's just looking to escape the dumpster fire that is CLE and couldn't care less how he treat(ed) the outgoing administration. If Dallas gets him for next to nothing more power to them and it will probably be a shrewd move.

Few things - and not that I particularly agree with all this... it kind of just "is what it is".

First off, times have changed. Twitter and other social media have changed how professional athletes are viewed and how they can interact with their fans and general public.

Next... another "times have changed" thing: the NFL has really cracked down. It's not called the "No Fun League" for nothing It's not the 70's and 80's now where everyone was on coke and being womanizers. It's a PC world where professional athletes are "heroes" we let our kids look up to. Back when Namath and the like were out womanizing, I doubt parents were pointing them out as role models. And even then, it would be hard for them to with the absence of social media.

And the main point.... it's not necessarily the acts, it's the lying about them. And it's the going back to these acts even after the team made it clear that they wouldn't put up with it.

This.

I mean, that's why psychopaths who damn near kill a woman still see the field. Oh, my bad, I forgot how much worse it is for Johnny to party than it is to throw a girl around a room by her hair.

Of course it is; he's white, silly.

Look, Manziel was an idiot for not joining the team for today's game and the kid isn't blameless by any means, but this "OMG LOOK AT MANZIEL HE WAS PARTYING" thing has been IMO overblown. PS and oh btw in case you hadn't noticed, he's not exactly surrounded by studly skill players. The very dumbest thing CLE could do right now is sell him for a song. Also what's their option? Goff? He's likely no 2d coming of Luck (or whoever), doubtful as a fix for this mess of a team. Lynch? Yeah right.

If the ownership/mgt had a clue and any people skills whatsoever, they'd have a heart-to-heart with the guy, lay it all out, try their best to get a feel for if he really is determined to be a butthead just to get out of dodge or if they can mend the bridges, give him some talent to work with, really back the guy, and give him a real shot. Why would you do otherwise with your first-round pick?

But go ahead Browns; the better deal is always just around the corner. A new coach, new GM, new QB, yeah that'll solve your problems. After all, it's worked so well so far.

Edited by BeeR

I'd probably be a drunk and do everything to get out of Cleveland too.. I compare The Browns to that one building that every small town has that was once a laundromat and then a pawn shop then a take out then a pay day loan office etc etc etc. Just a constant recycling of garbage players , garbage coaches and gms and awful decisions. I hope for their fans that they can get it together

They did get it together once, they moved to Baltimore. NFL tortured the fans of the city of Cleveland by allowing for them to have a team again

• Like 1

A real competitor and a real leader doesn't look for the easy path ... a real competitor and a real leader tries to step up to the challenge. If Johnny is looking for an easy way to success then he will never be successful in the NFL.

• Like 1

Few things - and not that I particularly agree with all this... it kind of just "is what it is".

First off, times have changed. Twitter and other social media have changed how professional athletes are viewed and how they can interact with their fans and general public.

Next... another "times have changed" thing: the NFL has really cracked down. It's not called the "No Fun League" for nothing It's not the 70's and 80's now where everyone was on coke and being womanizers. It's a PC world where professional athletes are "heroes" we let our kids look up to. Back when Namath and the like were out womanizing, I doubt parents were pointing them out as role models. And even then, it would be hard for them to with the absence of social media.

And the main point.... it's not necessarily the acts, it's the lying about them. And it's the going back to these acts even after the team made it clear that they wouldn't put up with it.

Its really mostly about that, the lying and deception. He has really done nothing illegal, but that isn't the only thing that can get you in trouble these days.

Also consider he spent 10 weeks in rehab and was known to have a drinking problem going back to HS and college. So we can reasonably assume he was in rehab for a drinking problem. Well a person with a drinking problem shouldn't really drink, and should have learned that while in rehab.

So take that with the lying, and basically acting like a tool since he was drafted. If he doesn't want to be in Cleveland he shouldn't have signed his contract. Or found somebody else who drafted his ass.

There were also reports that he came to the facility this week to sit in a meeting and was drunk and sent home.

Also consider should a guy with a concussion really be partying in Vegas (loud noise and bright lights aren't good for those with a concussion).

As a Browns fan I'm far from happy with the constant turnover with coach, GM or players. But I think getting rid of Manziel is best for all, certainly don't want to see another coach/GM combo be saddled with trying to make him work.

Oh and Mr. Sashi Brown the new chief of football for CLE is supposed to be a great people person, maybe he can have that heart to heart with Manziel once he crawls out of his bottle.

Edited by stevegrab

A real competitor and a real leader doesn't look for the easy path ... a real competitor and a real leader tries to step up to the challenge. If Johnny is looking for an easy way to success then he will never be successful in the NFL.

Well said, he's a punk and his family has money. If he fails in the NFL he's only lost his chance to be a star, maybe he can go back and be a coach at Texas A&M, or a cheerleader, or frat president for life.

Well the reports of showing up drunk have me humming a slightly different tune. Hungover's one thing, but still raging until work is another. And missing on Sunday is totally inexcusable. Say what you will about Namath and Stabler, but they always showed up for the freakin games.

But, as the being drunk on the job is an unconfirmed report, along with a highly dubious account by a couple of 3rd parties of him even being in Las Vegas, if I were in the new management, I'd give an ultimatum saying "it's a new day, I will wipe the slate clean. you're on probation, screw up again and it's over. You so much as wink at a drink and your contract is null and void." Then make him earn the spot back. If not, he could become some other team's (who are we kidding, Dallas) redemption project, and you're left with literally nothing. At least get his value up higher and get something for him ... don't just end up holding the bag again. It's a new day.

Edited by WildTurkey

What did he do? Lost his team.

He is not a leader of men...nor will he be unless he grows up, and even then I am not convinced he has the ability to lead.

Needs to throw some tantrums on the sideline to show he's a real leader.

• Like 2

Rumor: Manziel wore a blond wig and a fake mustache when he was in Vegas. He also used a fake name.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/01/04/johnny-manziel-reportedly-wore-a-wig-and-fake-mustache-and-used-a-fake-name-in-vegas-this-weekend/

You know it's gonna happen. Give in to the Dark Side of the Force.

Yeah, I think Jerrah's sons are gonna have to lock him in a closet again to prevent this from happening. Jerrah & Johnny is a match made in heaven.