[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Calvin Johnson says he may retire this offseason

Wolverines Fan

They could just continue with the status quo and keep him on roster at his current contract. The cap hit hurts them. And Calvin might decide he just doesn't want to play for Detroit anyway, and then he retires. I suspect it would be a tactical retirement where he sits for a year in order to become a Free Agent and get a new deal with a much more competitive team. I'm just guessing that that's what he really wants, but who knows, maybe he really is considering a permanent retirement. Calvin's retirement would certainly be a better OUT for Detroit than cutting him would be.

The bolded only works if DET cuts him first. He cannot retire and sit out a year to get out of his contract, the Lions would still retain his rights if he tried to unretire. Maybe BJ or somebody else can confirm this.

The bolded only works if DET cuts him first. He cannot retire and sit out a year to get out of his contract, the Lions would still retain his rights if he tried to unretire. Maybe BJ or somebody else can confirm this.

Yep. With Favre, the Jets declined to retain their rights to him after unretiring from them.

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification. For some reason I thought they could sit a year to force Free Agency.

He's guaranteed $4m this year and $4M next year in option bonuses. The $12M they are referencing (it's $12.9M actually) are those $8M plus $4.9 of pro-rates from previously paid bonuses. His 2016 salary is another $15.95M, assuming he plays, but it's not guaranteed until week 1.

When Calvin's contract was signed, it was reported that $9 million of his $15.95 million 2016 salary was guaranteed. Rotoworld still has it listed that way. I think lots of sportswriters who don't know the specifics of Calvin's contract are writing articles with incorrect information. The articles from the Detroit Free Press haven't been very specific.

When Calvin's contract was signed, it was reported that $9 million of his $15.95 million 2016 salary was guaranteed. Rotoworld still has it listed that way. I think lots of sportswriters who don't know the specifics of Calvin's contract are writing articles with incorrect information. The articles from the Detroit Free Press haven't been very specific.

I can't comment without seeing the source but that seems pretty unlikely since the guaranteed salaries stopped after 2013. Sportstrac generally gets these things pretty right.

Contract Notes:
  • $46.755 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2012-13 base + Roster Bonus + Option Bonus)
  • 2018: $3.5 million guaranteed as dead
  • 2012 Roster Bonus: $4.5 million
  • 2013 Option Bonus: $20 million
  • 2013 Restructure Bonus: $4.290 million / 5 years

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/calvin-johnson/

I may have actually misunderstood the contract, I didn't originally see the footnote about it. Looks like it was already fully paid in 2013 and the $4M this year and next is the pro-rate, so he's got zero more guaranteed money.

I can't comment without seeing the source but that seems pretty unlikely since the guaranteed salaries stopped after 2013. Sportstrac generally gets these things pretty right.

Contract Notes:
  • $46.755 million guaranteed (Signing Bonus + 2012-13 base + Roster Bonus + Option Bonus)
  • 2018: $3.5 million guaranteed as dead
  • 2012 Roster Bonus: $4.5 million
  • 2013 Option Bonus: $20 million
  • 2013 Restructure Bonus: $4.290 million / 5 years

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/calvin-johnson/

I may have actually misunderstood the contract, I didn't originally see the footnote about it. Looks like it was already fully paid in 2013 and the $4M this year and next is the pro-rate, so he's got zero more guaranteed money.

Rotoworld is wrong and Spotrac is right. This PFT article explains how $9 million of 2016's salary was guaranteed, but is no longer guaranteed after a $20 million option bonus was paid in 2013.

Cracking the code on Calvin Johnson’s deal

Posted by Mike Florio on March 15, 2012, 11:41 PM EST

On Wednesday, the Lions extended the contract of receiver Calvin Johnson. Initially reported as a seven-year, $132 million deal, this characterization overlooked the reality that: (1) it covers eight years; and (2) Johnson already was due to earn $18.5 million in 2012. Also, the report that Johnson will receive $60 million in guaranteed money is, as reports regarding guaranteed money usually are, inflated.

We heard last night that the numbers may have been grossly inflated. Here’s the real story on the deal.

It’s an eight-year, $131.95 million contract. Until, however, the team chooses to fully guarantee $3.5 million in base salary in 2018 and $3.5 million in base salary in 2019, the last two years will void, making it a six-year, $96.7 million deal.

So, basically, the last two years are phony, for now.

Factoring in the $18.5 million Johnson already was due to make in 2012 before the extension, it’s a seven-year, $113.45 million deal. Dropping the phony-for-now base salaries for 2018 and 2019, it’s a five-year, $78.25 million contract.

Not eight (or seven) years and $132 million. Five years, and $78.25 million.

Without the phony-for-now final two years, the contract has an average new-money value of $15.7 million. If the Lions choose to buy back the last two years by guaranteeing $7 million total in salary, the new-money average increases to $16.2 million.

It gets more confusing than usual when trying to decipher the guaranteed money. Before a non-guaranteed option bonus of $20 million is exercised in 2013, the deal has $48.75 million in fully guaranteed money (not including a $4.5 million roster bonus Johnson already has earned). After the option is exercised (and including the $20 million option bonus), $37.25 million is fully guaranteed.

The $60 million in guaranteed money arises from a $16 million signing bonus, a fully-guaranteed base salary of $1.25 million, the $20 million non-guaranteed option bonus, and another $22.5 million in fully-guaranteed base salary that becomes guaranteed for injury only after the option bonus is paid.

Though not guaranteed, the option bonus undoubtedly will be paid, because until the option is paid the deal has $31.5 million in fully-guaranteed base salaries. (It’s an excellent device for ensuring that the option bonus will be paid.)

For the Lions, the contract gives much-needed cap relief, dropping Johnson’s cap number from $21 million to $11.5 million in 2012. The current cap number for 2013 is $12.2 million. Ditto for 2014.

The cap number jumps to $19.7 million in 2015 and to $23.15 million in 2016. It drops to $20.5 million in 2017. With no remaining bonus allocation in the final two years, the cap numbers match the base salaries.

And now for the nuts and bolts of the deal . . . .

1. Signing bonus: $16 million.

2. 2012 base salary: $1.25 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2012 roster bonus: $4.5 million. (Earned under prior contract.)

4. 2013 option bonus: $20 million.

5. 2013 base salary: $5 million, fully guaranteed before option is paid, guaranteed for injury only after option is paid.

6. 2014 base salary: $5 million, fully guaranteed before option is paid, guaranteed for injury only after option is paid.

7. 2015 base salary: $12.5 million, fully guaranteed before option is paid, guaranteed for injury only after option is paid.

8. 2016 base salary: $15.95 million, $9 million of which is fully guaranteed before option is paid, not guaranteed after option is paid.

9. 2017 base salary: $16.5 million.

10. 2018 base salary: $17 million, $3.5 million of which is fully guaranteed if the team buys back the last two years.

11. 2019 base salary: $18.25 million, $3.5 million of which is fully guaranteed if the team buys back the last two years.

If you made it this far, congratulations. You get a free one-year subscription to PFT. And all the air you can breathe.

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

Nice find. I learned a long time ago to doubt Sportstrac at your own risk, those dudes are on the ball. It can be difficult to explain some of the contingencies like these that deals have, and Sportstrac sometimes doesn't bother to or succeed at it, but their math is usually spot on.

Nice find. I learned a long time ago to doubt Sportstrac at your own risk, those dudes are on the ball. It can be difficult to explain some of the contingencies like these that deals have, and Sportstrac sometimes doesn't bother to or succeed at it, but their math is usually spot on.

Sportrac is a great source I was glad when I came across it somewhere, and anytime people start talking contract numbers with little solid info I'll go dig up the page for that player and post it, trying to spread the word on it as a source. Much like profootball reference (PFR) is the go to source for football stats of all kinds (powerful if you learn to do searches) and I'll post links using that.

On local radio yesterday (here in the greater Seattle area), John Clayton said that he is leaning more and more towards believing that Johnson may actually retire. Obviously, this is just one person's opinion. I just found it interesting because Clayton usually knows what he's talking about. Now, keep in mind, Clayton didn't say that he thought Johnson WOULD retire for sure. He just made it sound like he wouldn't at all be surprised, and his gut feeling is leaning more towards Johnson retiring now than it was when the rumor/news first came out.

• 2 weeks later...

Profootballtalk.com picked up the story too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/31/report-calvin-johnson-told-family-team-2015-is-his-final-year/

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Sportrac is a great source I was glad when I came across it somewhere, and anytime people start talking contract numbers with little solid info I'll go dig up the page for that player and post it, trying to spread the word on it as a source. Much like profootball reference (PFR) is the go to source for football stats of all kinds (powerful if you learn to do searches) and I'll post links using that.

Thus is the first time i've ever heard somebody being better at stats than ProFootballFocus

Thus is the first time i've ever heard somebody being better at stats than ProFootballFocus

PFR is pure stats with no judgement and grading, simple non flashy interface. Wasn't too familiar with PFF, so checked there and see they do lots with grading and analysis and have a lot more flash and pop on their web sites. PFR is very powerful and I'm just starting to scratch the surface of its abilities.

As for Calvin and this being more of a done deal I'm sad to hear it. Until he files retirement papers with the league it won't be very final.

• 1 month later...

Farewell Calvin, was great watching you play and having you as a cornerstone of my fantasy team. Like the Lions I feel I failed you and didn't surround you with quiet the right group of talent to win it all.

Good luck in retirement, and ignore all the idiots who will want to toss stones at you.

Pretty interesting debate on the Dan Patrick Show about Megatron and him being on the fence for the HOF. Their "poll" ended right around a 50/50 split for in vs. not in. He had a dominant stretch there but you have to consider a couple of factors: a] Lions were terrible and he was oftentimes their only option, so just got force-fed the ball, many times in garbage time situations; b] played in a pass-happy offense in a pass-happy time.

He had only 4 80+ catch seasons. Couple of seasons where his yardage totals were impressive but only had 5 TDs. Basically, if you put him in the Hall, you have to put Andre Johnson. And I think he's on the fence too.

Some things in his favor... I think he is like #2 behind Randy Moss in per-game yardage for a career. That's solid. He basically redefined the position... or at minimum started the trend of the big, fast, athletic WR.

I think he's got to get in at some point, but I could also see him being passed over if the game continues to rely on the pass and we see continued inflated stats from the position. He is a "good guy", so he may benefit from that, too.

• Like 1

Pretty interesting debate on the Dan Patrick Show about Megatron and him being on the fence for the HOF. Their "poll" ended right around a 50/50 split for in vs. not in. He had a dominant stretch there but you have to consider a couple of factors: a] Lions were terrible and he was oftentimes their only option, so just got force-fed the ball, many times in garbage time situations; b] played in a pass-happy offense in a pass-happy time.

He had only 4 80+ catch seasons. Couple of seasons where his yardage totals were impressive but only had 5 TDs. Basically, if you put him in the Hall, you have to put Andre Johnson. And I think he's on the fence too.

Some things in his favor... I think he is like #2 behind Randy Moss in per-game yardage for a career. That's solid. He basically redefined the position... or at minimum started the trend of the big, fast, athletic WR.

I think he's got to get in at some point, but I could also see him being passed over if the game continues to rely on the pass and we see continued inflated stats from the position. He is a "good guy", so he may benefit from that, too.

same debate on NFL radio this morning.

Takeo Spikes would put him but make him wait. Used a TO comparison

same debate on NFL radio this morning.

Takeo Spikes would put him but make him wait. Used a TO comparison

TO is an alright comp but on the other end of the "well-liked" spectrum, unfortunately. It sounds like that is what is holding him back more than anything else.