[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Atwater and Davis are HOF finalists!

BA Baracus

Both TD and Atwater deserve the HOF. Whether they make it or not, IDK. Hopefully, Peter King keeps his trap shut!

Sorry, but TD does not deserve to get in. He had only a 4 year span of quality football. I know injuries derailed him, but that's not what the Hall is considering.

Sorry, but TD does not deserve to get in. He had only a 4 year span of quality football. I know injuries derailed him, but that's not what the Hall is considering.

Are there any other RB's players who were both a Superbowl MVP and an NFL MVP who are HOF eligible but not yet in?

He deserves to be in over the freaking Bus. Or is it the Hall of 'played for a long time'?

• Like 1

Are there any other RB's players who were both a Superbowl MVP and an NFL MVP who are HOF eligible but not yet in?

He deserves to be in over the freaking Bus. Or is it the Hall of 'played for a long time'?

I think the Bus deserves more recognition then TD, while I do not think the Bus should be in the Hall either I certainly understand why he made it.

Why doesn't TD deserve to be in? I'm curious to your rationale? Even if your rationale is based on his limited 4 year GREAT span, what other player had a 4 years like that and is not in the hall of fame?

So this guy doesn't deserve to get into the HOF?

1. Greatest playoff RB of all time. In 8 playoff games (including 2 Superbowls) he scored 12 TD's and averaged 142.5 yds/game rushing.

2. 3 time first team All Pro

3. 3 time Pro Bowler

4. one of 7 ever 2000 yard rushers

5. 4 seasons over 1000 yards rushing

6. 3rd all time in rushing yds/game. Right behind Jim Brown and Barry Sanders and right ahead of AP, Eric Dickerson, and Walter Payton.

TD was one of the few RB's in the history of the league to be truly great. That short-lived greatness should be recognized above a long stretch of mediocre-good.

Edited by BA Baracus

Why doesn't TD deserve to be in? I'm curious to your rationale? Even if your rationale is based on his limited 4 year GREAT span, what other player had a 4 years like that and is not in the hall of fame?

What other players had Elway and a Shanny ran zone block system that had other successful runners like Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, and Clinton Portis? Do I think he had talent, absolutely. However I think he did benefit from a HOF QB (arguably one of the best ever) and a scheme that could produce a 1000 yard rusher out of a 1-legged chicken. And yes, I think the brevity of his career does not help because we will never be able to answer exactly how much above mentioned thing influenced his success in that short span.

Sorry if this offends, but I do think they are valid points to consider.

Ahh the annual who belongs in the HOF debates.

I have to agree with Def. on TD, great player over a short period, not quite HOF caliber. I also agree that the Bus shouldn't be in there, probably a lot of my anti-Steeler bias involved there. But even he was a finalist for 4 years before he got in. So it may take TD a while, and the longer he waits the more guys become eligible with equal or better careers.

Just look at his PFR page, and the similar players section,

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviTe00.htm#sim_scores::none

When you look at the career line, which of them are in the HOF? None.

Not saying that is the definitive reason, but consider that. He was great, but it was a very short period.

I also see on that page that he was all 2nd team for the HOF all 90s team, 1st team went to Barry & Emmitt. That may hurt as well, that he played during the same era as them.

I also see on that page that he was all 2nd team for the HOF all 90s team, 1st team went to Barry & Emmitt. That may hurt as well, that he played during the same era as them.

I'd say that is an argument 'for' rather than against. He managed to be the undisputed best RB in the league for two season while these guys were still playing.

I can see his career brevity being an issue for some people.

I wouldn't be nearly as incensed about TD not being in if the Bus hadn't made it in. I have little doubt that if Bettis had been a Bronco (or on any number of other teams) and Davis a Steeler, and they had the same careers that they had, Davis would already be in and Bettis would likely never get in.

What other players had Elway and a Shanny ran zone block system that had other successful runners like Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, and Clinton Portis? Do I think he had talent, absolutely. However I think he did benefit from a HOF QB (arguably one of the best ever) and a scheme that could produce a 1000 yard rusher out of a 1-legged chicken. And yes, I think the brevity of his career does not help because we will never be able to answer exactly how much above mentioned thing influenced his success in that short span.

Completely flawed logic, and there's a difference between "successful runners like Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Clinton Portis" and Terrell Davis.

Nowhere close to a Bronco fan, but this is just... sorry, dumb.

Completely flawed logic, and there's a difference between "successful runners like Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Clinton Portis" and Terrell Davis.

Nowhere close to a Bronco fan, but this is just... sorry, dumb.

I'm sorry, it shows a trend of different (and arguably not particularly talented in case of Gary and Anderson) RBs putting up quality numbers behind a system.

:shrug:

I'm sorry, it shows a trend of different (and arguably not particularly talented in case of Gary and Anderson) RBs putting up quality numbers behind a system.

:shrug:

Dude... let me say it again... QUALITY NUMBERS and "numbers that Davis put up" are two different things.

I will agree that other RBs had success in the system, but Davis' numbers and accolades far outweigh them.

Faulting Davis for being lined up behind a HoF QB in Elway is a terrible argument, too.

E2A: You're certainly entitled to your opinion, though... it's just the facts with which you back up that opinion that seem... off.

Edited by darin3

No, this doesn't offend. I enjoy healthy debate. I always think about Steve Young being in the hall of fame. He had a stretched out career, many of the years being a back up or injured, but at the end of the day, he put up 4 greats seasons (92,93,94, and 98). He is no where a leader in any major statistical category, except QB rating. When I think of TD, I think of the running back version of Steve Young from accomplishments to statistics.

I'm not faulting Davis, I'm crediting the team for improving his talented performance and pointing out that due to that team influence and his brevity it is hard to justify placing him in the hall. The biggest argument for is his playoff stats and possibly his overall touchdown totals, his biggest detractors is the short time frame and again the system he was in.

Just to point out, Gary 1150 yards, Anderson 1500 yards, Portis 1500 and 1600 yards in the 4 years following TD's injury. Portis while talented, is not a HOF back either. Someone is going to scream 2000 yards, but 2000 yard backs Lewis and CJ?K also don't belong in the hall.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Def.
  • Like 1

The argument that a stellar supporting cast detracts from a players HoF worthiness is weak at best. By that logic Ray Lewis shouldn't get in for his acomplishments because he played his whole career with an outstanding defensive unit. Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison shouldn't go because they had a HoF QB throwing them the ball. That doesn't make sense.

TD is a no brainer. On top of all of the accomplishments already listed in this thread, he was 3/4 of the way to the all time rushing yard title hving only played 8 years. There's no doubt in my mind that had he not gotten hurt he would have SHATTERED 12,000.

Edited by AX2RUN