[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams to LA

Footballjoe

(Rotoworld)NFL owners have officially approved the Rams' relocation to Inglewood, Cal.

Did not see this posted.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?/topic/458691-the-chargers-raiders-and-rams-have-all-filed-applications-to-move-to-los-angeles/page-2

This thread developed from who it might be to discussing the news

Another block in the wall of failure the NFL is currently building. No, this is not the the bitter sentiment of a man that grew up in St Louis, lived through the indignation of having the team I grew up with ripped away. I stand back and look at this situation and laugh.

The Rams came here because they were not being supported in LA. And the fact that at the time the owner received the most lucrative "moving" deal in NFL history. While the Rams never really budged the city from its baseball and hockey preference, they were supported. From the dark days of Tony Banks, through the Greatest Show on Turf, and back to the 16-56 team they have become. (Not sure about those stats but it is right in that neighborhood)

I'm just trying to figure out how this pathetic excuse for a professional football franchise expects to catch the hearts and minds of a city with more entertainment options than any other in the Unites States. If this turd didn't play in STL, it is going to bomb in La La land.

But the owner doesn't think so. He is one shrewd SOB. He is going to build and entertainment mecca, probably to rival Jerry-world. And he will bank, like Jerry, that no matter what a piece of crap his team may be. He will be able to pick the pockets of the west coast elite for the luxury boxes.

And along with the television money, maybe he makes it just like he is planning.

Greed is eating the game. I may be just a dumb mid-west bumpkin. But to me this is the biggest loser of a plan the NFL has ever concocted, I say good riddance, and I anxiously await the failure, and subsequent moving of the franchise to London, which will signify the actual end of the NFL as a viable entity.

Over the last few years I have transformed from rabid fan to casual observer, and I am not alone. You stupid bastards just go ahead and move your piles of money around, further confuse the rules, and try to figure out where your next generation of players is coming from, now that the game has been deemed deadly, and off soccer mom;s list.

I'm not really angry. This is what happens to everything that is successful in America. It is eaten alive with greed. It is doomed.

• Like 3

Bitter and angry are two different things. It is pointless to be angry with the powers that be and their folly, but bitterness over the game I love being systematically brought down with it is perfectly natural.

Bitter and angry are two different things. It is pointless to be angry with the powers that be and their folly, but bitterness over the game I love being systematically brought down with it is perfectly natural.

But you said you were not bitter :lol:

"This is not just the bitter sentiment" was what I thought I typed, sorry.

An NFL team in LA is worth more than STL or really anywhere but NY (#1 media market). Whether the fans support it or not, the league expects ratings to increase with a team in the #2 media market, and the entertainment capital of the world. That means the next TV contracts are worth more $$ and that benefits the whole league.

I agree its greed, but that greed has been going on for a long time. Its why Modell moved to BAL, and why the Ramd moved to STL, and the Oilers to TEN. In CLE there was never a lack of fan support, and LA was more about the teams struggling because of the old blackout rules and teh huge Coliseum. Both LA and HOU teams may have had fan support issues, but really it was more about an oppotunity to make more money elsewhere. There is really nothing wrong with the Edward Jones Dome (or the Georgia Dome or most any facility that is only 20-30 years old) except it isn't as extravagant as some newer venues and the owners feel their missing out on lost opportunity to make more money.

It does suck, as a fan of team that was lost (and the returned piece of garbage may have never come back) I can relate to what STL fans feel, though the Rams were only a recent new toy for them, and they're not THE TEAM in the city like the Browns are.

All true. But you only lost your team once. So far.....

Feels more like we lost them twice. First they moved to Baltimore, then we got a team back and had some hope. Even had a couple winning seasons in the first 5 years and a playoff game. Since then it feels like the team has just given up and is milking the fans until we stop supporting them.

Couple that with the lack of ANY MAJOR SPORTS TITLE in over 50 years (something nobody else has) and we feel very screwed. Maybe LeBron and the Cavs can do it this year, but it would pale in comparison to a Browns SB victory.

An NFL team in LA is worth more than STL or really anywhere but NY (#1 media market). Whether the fans support it or not, the league expects ratings to increase with a team in the #2 media market, and the entertainment capital of the world. That means the next TV contracts are worth more $$ and that benefits the whole league.

I agree its greed, but that greed has been going on for a long time. Its why Modell moved to BAL, and why the Ramd moved to STL, and the Oilers to TEN. In CLE there was never a lack of fan support, and LA was more about the teams struggling because of the old blackout rules and teh huge Coliseum. Both LA and HOU teams may have had fan support issues, but really it was more about an oppotunity to make more money elsewhere. There is really nothing wrong with the Edward Jones Dome (or the Georgia Dome or most any facility that is only 20-30 years old) except it isn't as extravagant as some newer venues and the owners feel their missing out on lost opportunity to make more money.

It does suck, as a fan of team that was lost (and the returned piece of garbage may have never come back) I can relate to what STL fans feel, though the Rams were only a recent new toy for them, and they're not THE TEAM in the city like the Browns are.

When Goodell started, team revenue was 6.5B. This year it is 11.5B. With this new deal, by 2027, it will be a whopping 27.5B.

A note to all current Rams owners in BOTH leagues.... If you are stung by this move and want to ditch the Rams as your homer team, hit me up. I'll be happy to take them over and potentially swap teams with you in any league we're in together... Just throwing it out there.

A note to all current Rams owners in BOTH leagues.... If you are stung by this move and want to ditch the Rams as your homer team, hit me up. I'll be happy to take them over and potentially swap teams with you in any league we're in together... Just throwing it out there.

Check 32 Homers. wiegie already give his resignation.

If you still want to root for the rams just frigging do it . Who gives a crap if they are no longer in your state ? When people move, do you stop rooting for a team you loved and start rooting for the team in your new state ? Football is entertainment. These teams arent made up of a bunch of guys from that state . They are hired entertainers

Edited by whomper
  • Like 1

If you still want to root for the rams just frigging do it . Who gives a crap if they are no longer in your state ? When people move, do you stop rooting for a team you loved and start rooting for the team in your new state ? Football is entertainment. These teams arent made up of a bunch of guys from that state . They are hired entertainers

If the Saints had moved to San Antonio 10 years ago they would have been dead to me. It's pretty much a stab in the back to most fans who've supported them.

• Like 2

If the Saints had moved to San Antonio 10 years ago they would have been dead to me. It's pretty much a stab in the back to most fans who've supported them.

Kinda how I felt about the Rams from 95-2014-ish--especially when Georgia owned the team. I was actively cursing her after the Super Bowl in 1999 vs. Tennessee. Her comments really stuck in my craw.

• Like 1

I agree if you want to root for a team that mvoes go ahead. Likewise if you live in NY and want to root for Dallas or GB, that's ok too.

But it won't be the norm and really shouldn't be. If I live in NE Ohio I can easily go to Cleveland sporting events if I want. Not so much if that team moves to LA, NY, MIA etc.

now the long part....

I'll give you a couple examples. I was 17 when I moved from LA to Cleveland in 1982. I was a pretty big Dodger fan, casual Lakers fan, cared about the Rams a little. In a couple years I was swept up in the Browns AFC title runs, and became a big Browns fan. Spending time here and getting to know other people I eventually became an Indians fan and Cavs too. Still liked my Dodgers, but not like beore (other LA teams were off my chart).

Fast forward to early 2000s, my older brother relocates to Ohio to help with family, starts watching a lot of Cleveland sports with me and becomes a fan of those teams. (He had lived in LA, but also SLC for a few years, huge Dodger fan, Raiders and Lakers too.) After about 5 years, he moves to Michigan (west of Ann Arbor) and starts following the Lions, and is now a bigger fan of that than other sports teams. (I kept telling him to cut the Browns fandom, it would kill him. Now he's a miserable Lions fan ;) )

Others become fans of a team and follow them as they move around during their life. But there is something special (to me and many others) about rooting for the local team, vs. the team "back home" or one that moved away.

Says the guy who knows there will never be the Sacramento or Akron Cowboys... :rolleyes: