[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cities that get two NFL Teams

Patriots

I doubt those on the waiting list for GB season tix would suddenly change team loyalty simply because some new team were in town...they're on the list because of GB, not football in general

• Like 1

If the NFL wants to expand why not put another team in Green Bay or another city that has a long wait list for tickets? I think London is a dumb idea.

:thinking:

These are two separate points, no?

While the second thought certainly has merit, certainly you have to see the reasoning for the first.... :shrug:

A second team in GB, because of a waiting list for Packers tickets? HELL NO

A team in London, I agree that is dump, and has a lot of logistics to deal with if it is seriously considered. (Team travel, TV contracts, tax issues, etc.)

I think the NFL (and other sports leagues) will continue to relocate teams to make more profit, not because they don't have enough support or are losing money where they are at. In a few years the teams with stadiums that are more than 10 years old will point to Jerry World, Kroenke Palace, Lucas Oil, new MN stadium, and others and say "we cannot compete, we're losing out to those guys with billion dollar stadiums. HELP US OR ELSE...

IMO, Portland, OR would be the best place for a new NFL team (aside from LA of course). It's the largest metro area in the US without a team and isn't close to any NFL cities (or cities in general lol). Portland Jets anybody?

Another good spot would be San Antonio for similar reasons.

Additionally, if they're so fixed on international, why not give Canada a team? Europe generally isn't big on American football, or any American sports. But Canada has embraced American sports and has a team in every sport except football. Toronto or Vancouver Jets maybe?

Edited by pun

IMO, Portland, OR would be the best place for a new NFL team (aside from LA of course). It's the largest metro area in the US without a team and isn't close to any NFL cities (or cities in general lol). Portland Jets anybody?

Additionally, if they're so fixed on international, why not give Canada a team? Europe generally isn't big on American football, or any American sports. But Canada has embraced American sports and has a team in every sport except football. Toronto or Vancouver Jets maybe?

San Antonio Raiders & Portland Jags

why do you hate Jets fans?

:lol:

• Like 1

There is a good portion of the UK fanbase, myself included, who hate the idea of a London team.

Apart from the fact it probably won't work with all the factors above like tax, travel, recruiting free agents, TV etc. Most long term fans aren't going to dump the teams they've followed and paid a lot of money to watch in the states for whomever moves over to London.

Apart from the fact it probably won't work with all the factors above like tax, travel, recruiting free agents, TV etc. Most long term fans aren't going to dump the teams they've followed and paid a lot of money to watch in the states for whomever moves over to London.

....but clearly there would be an entire country - hell, arguably an entire continent - to draw a new fanbase from. sure a small portion of the UK already follows American football, but if there was a team that had 8 home games in London, they wouldn't just be counting on those long-time NFL fans for the fanbase. England alone has 53m people - 14m more than the largest US state (California). And that's just England. They could also draw fans from the rest of UK and Europe.

your other points are very good though - recruiting will be very tricky for sure. i imagine travel is nothing compared to the revenue the league brings in, but the logistics of a london based team would be difficult to manage.

There is a good portion of the UK fanbase, myself included, who hate the idea of a London team.

People in that group need to flood the NFL offices with their opinions. Same goes for fans in the US, if you're fed up start flooding and telling them you're quitting your support if the lunacy continues.

The NFL greed machine is in overdrive, it is going to take a mass fan revolt to get them to quit chasing that last few (billion) dollars.

why do you hate Jets fans?

:lol:

lol, got nothing against Jets fans, but between this thread and the "Rams to LA" thread, I've been talking about how it seems kind of dumb to me that they have two teams competing for the Bay Area market and two teams competing for the NYC market. not only could they make more money by retaining the St. Louis market by leaving the Rams put, gaining the LA market by moving the Raiders there, and gain some other market like Portland by moving the Jets there, but they'd also create more fans, sell more jerseys, more advertising deals, stadiums named after insurance companies, more tv commercials, and all that other good(/bad) stuff. ;)

Edited by pun

lol, got nothing against Jets fans, but between this thread and the "Rams to LA" thread, I've been talking about how it seems kind of dumb to me that they have two teams competing for the Bay Area market and two teams competing for the NYC market. not only could they make more money by retaining the St. Louis market by leaving the Rams put, gaining the LA market by moving the Raiders there, and gain some other market like Portland by moving the Jets there, but they'd also create more fans, sell more jerseys, more advertising deals, stadiums named after insurance companies, more tv commercials, and all that other good(/bad) stuff. ;)

Those markets (LA, SF, NY) are huge and can support 2 NFL teams. The LA issues were more about stadiums that were too big and TV blackouts, not lack of fan support. Those cities also support multiple teams in other sports, as does CHI with 2 in MLB. That's a lot of dumb from your perspective.

Trust me if putting a team in Portland, San Antonio or wherever made the NFL more money than having 2 teams in LA/SF/NY, they'd be talking about it like they talked about moving back to LA (with lots of serious talk the last 3-5 years).

....but clearly there would be an entire country - hell, arguably an entire continent - to draw a new fanbase from. sure a small portion of the UK already follows American football, but if there was a team that had 8 home games in London, they wouldn't just be counting on those long-time NFL fans for the fanbase. England alone has 53m people - 14m more than the largest US state (California). And that's just England. They could also draw fans from the rest of UK and Europe.

your other points are very good though - recruiting will be very tricky for sure. i imagine travel is nothing compared to the revenue the league brings in, but the logistics of a london based team would be difficult to manage.

Realistically a decent portion of those people live too far from London to be regular fans if they do get into NFL. The London games do regularly get fans from Europe especially Germany and Scandinavia but realistically you are relying on people who live within an hour of London to be season ticket holders. The attendance wouldn't be a worry right now but the NFL was huge in the UK in the 80s and early 90s then died off quite quickly in popularity until making a comeback 15 years later so there is the worry it could be a fad like last time.

There won't be a London team for a good while yet, so much more needs to be done to improve the fanbase and the NFL will want to use the threat of moving a team to London as a stick to beat some cities with for new stadiums or improvements like they tried with LA.

I don't think you realize how big NYC and the metro area area is in comparison to Portland. That area could probably support 3 teams. It does in basketball and hockey.

Edited by Zooty

But the Jets and Giants are top 5 in attendance every year so its clear that having two teams in NY really isn't a problem. They could have three teams and probably pull in more fans than the likes of Oakland, Detroit and Cincinnati.

Edited by Dolphin_Akie