[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers to LA

tazinib1

• 2 weeks later...

NFLN is saying the Chargers will remain in SD for the 2016 season.

WWWOOOWWW.....

http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/01/29/statement-dean-spanos

I heard Spanos and Kroenke were extremely close to finalizing a deal, including amending the Coliseum's lease to allow a second team to be housed there temporarily.

This is a huge shock.

E2A: The NFL is committing $300M towards stadium efforts, too. That basically negates the need for overwhelming public funding, which has been the main issue since day one.

Edited by darin3

Yes heard the same here..means nothing but may mean everything as most thought they'd never look back.

I think it means way more than "nothing", especially considering the money the NFL is putting up for them to stay.

If it were just some pie-in-the-sky statement from Spanos, I could see how as a jaded Charger fan you may think it was all lip service, but the fact that the NFL is backing them to work something out, it means a lot... at least that's my stance.

WWWOOOWWW.....

I heard Spanos and Kroenke were extremely close to finalizing a deal, including amending the Coliseum's lease to allow a second team to be housed there temporarily.

This is a huge shock.

E2A: The NFL is committing $300M towards stadium efforts, too. That basically negates the need for overwhelming public funding, which has been the main issue since day one.

Still today they signed up to practice in santa ana

It all is unknown

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/28/panel-to-consider-2-temporary-nfl-teams-in-la-coliseum/79456734/

Still today they signed up to practice in santa ana

It all is unknown

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/28/panel-to-consider-2-temporary-nfl-teams-in-la-coliseum/79456734/

I saw that - and that was yesterday. All they did was purchase 5 acres in Santa Ana. Land they could easily flip if need be.

I think the $300M backing from the NFL is the biggest component of this. Now the City of San Diego won't be on the hook for as much - if anything at all - and everyone gets what they want.

I saw that - and that was yesterday. All they did was purchase 5 acres in Santa Ana. Land they could easily flip if need be.

I think the $300M backing from the NFL is the biggest component of this. Now the City of San Diego won't be on the hook for as much - if anything at all - and everyone gets what they want.

so sorry ...I was busy on 1/28/2016....my mistake.

I live here. Have since 1969. MY info may not be as good as yours...seeing as I missed a press release by 1 day...Gotta be careful these days, right? once again ...Sorry. Can you say they are staying in America's Finest City without a doubt? CUZZZZZ I'd like that a lot...truly.

Also...BTW's: San Diego's mayor is over his head with this manure and has been since the beginning. BAD sign. Right ?

this is a clusterf*** from the word go. Our Mayor wants to fill pot holes not seats at a stadium that the team owner won't pay for like Kronke will.

Also, looks like they have a backup plan: a deal with the Rams to move in case stadium talks in San Diego hit yet another wall.

So yes, it's definitely still up in the air, but I think the money coming from the NFL is a fairly hugh deal.

PS: SAN DIEGO is the backup plan. Don't tell anyone. It's a hugh secret.

Statement by Dean Spanos:

Posted 2 days ago

Dear Chargers Fans,
Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium.
I have met with Mayor Faulconer and Supervisor Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.
This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve.
Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL.
I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility.
With deep appreciation for your years of support,
Dean A. Spanos
Chairman

San Diego keeping the Chargers means the firing of Mark Fabiani.

He's said a whole bunch of crap about how bad it is in SD, that he'd have to be fired for any of this to work (opinion).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_D._Fabiani

Every talking head in SD hates him and puts all the negativity squarely on his shoulders....I'd link but it is so well known that... :shrug: . Google is full of examples. Everyone in the know says he won't be fired ever. I'm not sure that's true but sounds about right. IIRC he once said The Chargers won't be stuck in SD...Or could be stuck...one of those. Does that sound like "I want to work out a deal" to you? lol...

It's all Unknown still and still sounds like they want to be on Kronke's magic carpet to $$$$$$$$.

Good luck getting much support from San Diego fans after that "lame duck" open letter BS. While I agree $300M goes a long way to securing a new stadium, the Dill Josh Gordon bag is holding SD hostage for an entire year. Thats bush league and a slap in the face to Charger fans and the city of San Diego. As far as I'm concerned, the Spanos family can go (the really bad word) themselves.

WWWOOOWWW.....

This is a huge shock.

I had also heard that the NFL is trying to convince Spanos to spend the $500M relocation fee (which he saves by not moving to LA) on the new stadium. Those two combined get to $800M, which should go a long way towards a new stadium.

I think he was not getting a good enough deal with Kroenke to be "partner" in the Inglewood stadium. He might feel that remaining in SD is better than that deal in LA and being second fiddle (both in financial terms and fan interest).