[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

#1 Pick For Sale

jamesplante11

According to Bleacher Report

— The No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL draft is for sale. That's according to multiple general managers I spoke with this week. The belief is that in a class that's described as "flat," there is no can't-miss player for the Tennessee Titans to draft at the top of the order. They're willing to move the pick to a team in need of a quarterback.

— The general consensus in talking to NFL scouts this week is that a quarterback will go No. 1 overall after someone trades up with the Titans. The most common answer to which player that will be is Cal quarterback Jared Goff.

Full story :link:

So what would the asking price for #1 overall be?

Apparently GM's do not think Goff is going to fall past Cleveland. Hoprfully Jackson and DePodesta do their homework on this one! Maybe sell the #2 before the Titans sell #1

Edited by jamesplante11

According to Bleacher Report

— The No. 1 pick in the 2016 NFL draft is for sale. That's according to multiple general managers I spoke with this week...

Is he really trying to make it seem like he dug up an inside secret from some GMs? Jon Robinson, the Titans' GM, publicly stated they "will look at any and all offers" for the first pick during the press conference this past Monday.

Anyway, I think getting a great haul for the first pick will be difficult this year. Teams either have some kind of option at QB currently or are far enough down the board that they'd need to throw a lot of early round picks in the deal, which I think teams are scared to do anymore after RG3. Some of the one's I've heard thrown around (in draft order):

Dallas (4) - have Romo but need a backup/future guy, can't see it happening here though

San Francisco (7) - will they stick with Kaepernick? If not, this seems most likely

Chicago (11) - similar to Dallas though bit more likely because it's Cutler, gap could be costly

Philadelphia (13) - really starting to get into the tough range, but they don't have a 2nd round pick this year making it much more difficult

Los Angeles (15) - They have more ammo via Philly's 2nd round pick, but jumping 15 to 1 is a big gap to overcome

Houston (22) - I don't think they would be willing to part with what it would cost to jump that far

Considering the Bills gave up two 1sts and a 3rd to go from 9 to 4 a couple years ago, I think two 1sts and a 2nd from the 49ers would be acceptable, though I don't know if they'd be willing to do so.

• Like 2

Is he really trying to make it seem like he dug up an inside secret from some GMs? Jon Robinson, the Titans' GM, publicly stated they "will look at any and all offers" for the first pick during the press conference this past Monday.

Anyway, I think getting a great haul for the first pick will be difficult this year. Teams either have some kind of option at QB currently or are far enough down the board that they'd need to throw a lot of early round picks in the deal, which I think teams are scared to do anymore after RG3. Some of the one's I've heard thrown around (in draft order):

Dallas (4) - have Romo but need a backup/future guy, can't see it happening here though

San Francisco (7) - will they stick with Kaepernick? If not, this seems most likely

Chicago (11) - similar to Dallas though bit more likely because it's Cutler, gap could be costly

Philadelphia (13) - really starting to get into the tough range, but they don't have a 2nd round pick this year making it much more difficult

Los Angeles (15) - They have more ammo via Philly's 2nd round pick, but jumping 15 to 1 is a big gap to overcome

Houston (22) - I don't think they would be willing to part with what it would cost to jump that far

Considering the Bills gave up two 1sts and a 3rd to go from 9 to 4 a couple years ago, I think two 1sts and a 2nd from the 49ers would be acceptable, though I don't know if they'd be willing to do so.

good post.

Isn't the #1 pick on the block every year? :shrug:

good post.

Isn't the #1 pick on the block every year? :shrug:

I think the "will look through any and all offers" line is used every year. People are reading into that more than usual this year, since there's no clear-cut #1 pick for a team that is set at QB.

Wouldn't surprise me if TN ends up trading down, but I wouldn't count on it either. Tunsil is a rock-solid OT and makes a lot of sense for that shaky OL. Goff is good, but not the prospect Winston/Mariota were last year IMO. Not sure how many teams will want to pay the price to move up and get him. I think a swap with Cleveland might be the most realistic trade right now, if the Browns are afraid that someone is going to leapfrog them. Titans still get their guy (Tunsil) and some extra draft capital in the process.

Edited by bud29
  • Like 2

I think I'd sell a top 3 pick any day if I could get 2 #1s and a 2 or 3 every year

It depends on the top of the class. So far, I'd say this year you definitely do that, but probably not last year. It also depends on your QB situation.

• Like 1

Honestly, if I am the Browns I shore up some other position this year. The chances they make some huge turnaround in one season is pretty unlikely. Stumble through next season and try to get DeShaun Watson. If he looks as good as he did this year, next season he will be a pretty hot commodity.

I had a notification come across today, and it said that Sashi Brown stated "It would be shocking if CLE traded up to #1, it's more likely we would trade down"

I'm puzzled at how trading up from 2 to 1 would even be the slightest bit of an option

Who knows, they may have leaked info on really, really wanting Joey Bosa, and perhaps TEN is playing some cat and mouse to make them think they want him too.

Honestly, if I am the Browns I shore up some other position this year. The chances they make some huge turnaround in one season is pretty unlikely. Stumble through next season and try to get DeShaun Watson. If he looks as good as he did this year, next season he will be a pretty hot commodity.

This.

The 1.01 is looking pretty valuable next year. Watson is the truth.

Can anybody confirm for me, 2nd round of NFL draft is still

1 - TEN

2 - CLE

or do they flip flop each round?

(recall this happening recently, maybe for CLE, but that was because a coin flip was used to break the tie in standing, while TEN and CLE both finished 3-13 I thought another tie breaker gave TEN the last place finish in NFL.)

A local sports writer said Browns have 2 and 32 picks in the draft, I know NE has no first round pick, so the 2.01 is pick 32.

Edited by stevegrab

Can anybody confirm for me, 2nd round of NFL draft is still

1 - TEN

2 - CLE

or do they flip flop each round?

(recall this happening recently, maybe for CLE, but that was because a coin flip was used to break the tie in standing, while TEN and CLE both finished 3-13 I thought another tie breaker gave TEN the last place finish in NFL.)

A local sports writer said Browns have 2 and 32 picks in the draft, I know NE has no first round pick, so the 2.01 is pick 32.

When teams have the same record in the draft, each team moves up one pick in each successive round with the top of the group falling to the back. So for two teams (like TEN/CLE) they just swap every round, so CLE picks first in round 2. For three or more (like JAC/BAL/SF) they rotate as I described (so JAC/BAL/SF round 1, BAL/SF/JAC round 2, SF/JAC/BAL round 3, etc).

When teams have the same record in the draft, each team moves up one pick in each successive round with the top of the group falling to the back. So for two teams (like TEN/CLE) they just swap every round, so CLE picks first in round 2. For three or more (like JAC/BAL/SF) they rotate as I described (so JAC/BAL/SF round 1, BAL/SF/JAC round 2, SF/JAC/BAL round 3, etc).

Thanks guess I'm confusing tie breaking for playoff seeding vs. draft order where they rotate the tied teams like that.