[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gonna be an ugly Super Bowl.

irish

True that. Although it would almost certainly make them the first team to get "rolled" by 7 points.

They got rolled, the final score was irrelevant. I bet many people turned the game off and didn't even see that near comeback because at halftime they looked like they had zero ability to recover. Sure the Cards got bet worse, made less attempt to comeback and the Panthers continued piling on points (or so I read, turned it off at 27-7).

I would not argue against the premise that people who didn't watch the game don't have an educated opinion on it.

Thanks for totalling missing the point or just :fishy: They were getting beat so bad after a half people turned it off.

Your team got rolled, even with a near comeback and close score at the end, where they still needed a miracle onside kick recovery to keep it going.

They were getting beat so bad after a half people turned it off.

Carolina dominated the first half and Seattle dominated the second half. Out of 4 major statistical categories Carolina won 2 (TOP and TOs) and Seattle won the other 2 (1st Downs and total yards). At the end it was a 7 point game. I'm basing my opinion on statistical realisms. You're free to base your incorrect opinion on TV ratings during the 2nd half. :shrug:

Edited by Bobby Brown

Carolina dominated the first half and Seattle dominated the second half. Out of 4 major statistical categories Carolina won 2 (TOP and TOs) and Seattle won the other 2 (1st Downs and total yards). At the end it was a 7 point game. I'm basing my opinion on statistical realisms. You're free to base your incorrect opinion on TV ratings during the 2nd half. :shrug:

I watched the whole game. No doubt Carolina laid down in the second half and let Seattle back in that game. However when I think about that game the first thing that comes to my mind is 31-0

• Like 1

I watched the whole game. No doubt Carolina laid down in the second half and let Seattle back in that game. However when I think about that game the first thing that comes to my mind is 31-0

Fair enough - let's get the thread back to discussing Denver and Carolina anyways.

I have a feeling this game is going to be ugly if you just look at the teams that each team played leading up to the superbowl. Denver backers keep saying how great their defense is (and it is a great defense), but it's not like Carolina has played teams that had poor defenses. Seattle and Arizona both had great defenses while Denver has played againist Pitts defense (nothing compared to what they used to be) and NE defense which is a good defense, but not great for sure. I think this game can get ugly becuase of what Carolina can do againist Denvers offense and they can create havoc. Only reason I think Seahawks came back was because of how great Wilson played in 2nd half and being mobile. Manning is going to be pressured alot just like Palmer. Carolina's offense is going to be able to move the ball and I believe as long as they don't turn the ball over, this will be over quick. Denver better hope they don't get behind early.

I don't think Denver will get dominated because I think their defense will keep them in it, but I don't see how Denver puts up enough points to win the game. I look at their offense and other than DT and Sanders nobody scares me, and I don't see how Peyton gets them the ball. Manning is 2nd in the NFL in INT's on the year despite playing 6 games less than the leader(Bortles) who is only one INT higher than him. That doesn't bode particularly well when playing a team that leads the NFL in Interceptions as well as Fumble recovery. As for Denver running the ball, I certainly could see CJ Anderson having a decent day, but I think Carolina's front 7 is being severely overlooked. Carolina had 3 pro-bowlers in the front 7 and has 2 more(Star Lotulelei and Charles Johnson) who are among the best at their position when healthy, which they both currently are. While Denver's run defense is good, they're going up against the number 2 running team in the league. I think for Denver to win the game they'll have to do 3 things, stop the run(against a team that has rushed for over 100 yards in 31 straight games), win the takeaway battle(Carolina is plus 20 on the year in takeaways, while Denver is minus 4), and make a game changing D/ST play. Whether it be a pick 6, scoop and score, kick/punt return for a TD or even getting a big return deep into Carolina territory, Denver needs 1 maybe even 2 of these to win in my opinion. I think I'll go Carolina 23-13.

I don't think Denver will get dominated because I think their defense will keep them in it, but I don't see how Denver puts up enough points to win the game. I look at their offense and other than DT and Sanders nobody scares me, and I don't see how Peyton gets them the ball. Manning is 2nd in the NFL in INT's on the year despite playing 6 games less than the leader(Bortles) who is only one INT higher than him. That doesn't bode particularly well when playing a team that leads the NFL in Interceptions as well as Fumble recovery. As for Denver running the ball, I certainly could see CJ Anderson having a decent day, but I think Carolina's front 7 is being severely overlooked. Carolina had 3 pro-bowlers in the front 7 and has 2 more(Star Lotulelei and Charles Johnson) who are among the best at their position when healthy, which they both currently are. While Denver's run defense is good, they're going up against the number 2 running team in the league. I think for Denver to win the game they'll have to do 3 things, stop the run(against a team that has rushed for over 100 yards in 31 straight games), win the takeaway battle(Carolina is plus 20 on the year in takeaways, while Denver is minus 4), and make a game changing D/ST play. Whether it be a pick 6, scoop and score, kick/punt return for a TD or even getting a big return deep into Carolina territory, Denver needs 1 maybe even 2 of these to win in my opinion. I think I'll go Carolina 23-13.

Good stat knowledge there...I agree with your analysis on things that need to happen for Denver to have a shot at winning. I think it may be more like 30-13 I could see three FGs and three TDs to denvers couple FGs and a TD

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Somebody mentioned an interesting stat for Peyton this year, his TD-INT ratio before he was out with injury and since return. 9-17 before injury, 2-0 in the 3 games since. The key point there is zero interceptions since returning from injury.

Agree on the general analysis and what DEN needs to do to win, including getting some points on defense (since their offense will struggle)

I can see it being fairly well-played and close (say within 3-10 points) game throughout 3.5 quarters, but Carolina's D will clamp down at the end, Denver's offense will stall and Carolina will put the pedal to the metal at the end to make it look worse than it actually/technically was. Something like 34-17 or 34-20, but only after Carolina drops 10 or 14 points in at the very end. Just my :2cents:

Edited by darin3

Don't forget we've seen the Panthers in some very close games this year, against some pretty weak teams too (Giants, Saints, Indy, Seattle, and a loss to the Falcons), they looked unstoppable against the Cards but the Seahawks also looked unstoppable against the Cards week 17. The Cards just didn't show up yesterday IMO. The Panthers did. It was a mental meltdown. Carson Palmer just isn't a big-stage QB imo.

Admittedly, I'm pulling for the Broncos. I don't hate Cam cause of the celebrations or any of that bs. I guess I just like the underdog more than the big star. AND, I appreciate a real defense. This has been my theory all year and I'm sticking with it - Denver has the best defense in the NFL right now, which can/will do enough to allow their offense, as under-performing as it is, to beat any other team.

I mean, the Patriots, with a healthy Gronk, healthy Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, White... could not beat that defense, and remember how they were unstoppable? And I think NE easily has a stronger offense than the Panthers. So if the Broncos could hold Brady & co. (twice), I think they can hold Cam & co. And they picked Brady off twice. To me, Brady is the hardest QB to pick off, and Cam can be shaky with that. I think the Broncos run d will be able to contain Cam and Stewart, but the pass d will shut them down. Corey Brown and Ted Ginn won't be able beat Harris and Talib like the did against the Cards, no way. Olsen is the only legitimate threat.

Additionally, I think the Panther's D vs. Bronco's O matchup also works out in the Bronco's favor, at least more so than it did vs the Pats or Steelers. There's no denying the Panthers have a strong defense, but the secondary has quite a few injuries, and I think they're more vulnerable to the running game than the Pats or Steelers were, even at full health.

So, I think CJ and Hillman will have a big day, and Peyton probably won't throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs, but I think he'll do just enough to pull out a win. Whoever Norman doesn't cover will probably have a good day, Owen Daniels as well, and more importantly, I don't think Peyton will throw interceptions like Palmer did, cause he can handle the big stage.

TLDR: my prediction would be something like Broncos 19, Panthers 16. Defensive battle, few TDs, lots of FGs.

• Like 1

Well, we have a long two weeks to argue about this, but if ANY defense can stop Carolina, its Denver. We can (and will) go balls out single coverage on all of their pass catchers (except maybe Olsen will get a LB + S bracket) and I think we will win those matchups. This will allow us to spy on Cam with (probably) TJ and hopefully prevent huge rushing plays. It will still be nearly impossible to stop Carolina on 3rd and short, but I think we can keep them off script.

A few other quick thoughts before my plane leaves...

OL continued their solid play that started vs the Chargers

Our coaches just went toe to toe with Darth Sidious himself and won. Riverboat Ron and company are at a disadvantage there.

I hope people keep saying we have no chance and how we are going to get blown up like we did against Seattle. Because we hear it every week, and every week it makes the win SO MUCH sweeter. Denver 26-21.

Note: just saw that Elway chose the away unis for SB50...not a fan of that decision.

My prediction - Car wins 23-16

My hopes - Den wins in a fun close game

I like this the best. It's very hard to root for Cam Newton although I think it would be great for the fans of Carolina to get a SB win.

I fear a Carolina blowout though - they look so much more dynamic right now.

Well, we have a long two weeks to argue about this, but if ANY defense can stop Carolina, its Denver. We can (and will) go balls out single coverage on all of their pass catchers (except maybe Olsen will get a LB + S bracket) and I think we will win those matchups. This will allow us to spy on Cam with (probably) TJ and hopefully prevent huge rushing plays. It will still be nearly impossible to stop Carolina on 3rd and short, but I think we can keep them off script.

A few other quick thoughts before my plane leaves...

OL continued their solid play that started vs the Chargers

Our coaches just went toe to toe with Darth Sidious himself and won. Riverboat Ron and company are at a disadvantage there.

These receivers are better than they get credit for. It is hard for anyone to keep up with Ted Ginn, almost as hard as it is for him to hold onto the ball sometimes. That being said, he got Patrick Peterson, one of the best corners in the game turned around quite a bit on Sunday. Don't overestimate the ability of Aqib Talib. He is good, but not some unstoppable force.

Not saying Ginn will go off or anything, but I really do expect the Panthers to score some points so it will be up to the Broncos offense to keep them close.