[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cam Newton using the race card

Shorttynaz

"I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to.''

My question is WTF does race have to do with anything? Isht like this really gets under my skin. Why do you even have to bring it up? Do you feel entitled? Do you feel like you've been singled out cause of your skin color? The f' outta here with that BS man..

People criticize you cause you're f'n arrogant. You lack gamesmanship. You do a dumbass dance every time you score a TD. You rub it in your opponents face. Win with class and people will respect you - don't act a fool and act like a 15 year old when you do your job. THATS why people criticize you - ya jackass!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14661081/cam-newton-says-criticized-incomparable

• Like 2

It always makes me chuckle when any athlete says something like this. It should seem pretty obvious to any unbiased party that sports in general have been a big equalizer as of late. Noone cares anymore about race when I comes to sports anymore, not since we had the first black baseball player lmao. I can even guarantee there's quite a few Racist Rednecks out there cheering for the black players representing their teams haha. Now we're working on not caring about race when it comes to social issues, crime and poverty, but sports are pretty well past this issue.

It always makes me chuckle when any athlete says something like this. It should seem pretty obvious to any unbiased party that sports in general have been a big equalizer as of late. Noone cares anymore about race when I comes to sports anymore, not since we had the first black baseball player lmao. I can even guarantee there's quite a few Racist Rednecks out there cheering for the black players representing their teams haha. Now we're working on not caring about race when it comes to social issues, crime and poverty, but sports are pretty well past this issue.

Do you happen to watch any sports-related TV other than games? ESPN... ever hear of it? How about sports talk radio?

:lol: Come on...

• Like 1

Well, I'd agree, he is incomparable as far as QB's go. And people do obviously get upset at the way he carries himself. He is probably the best player in the NFL right now, though. Add the confidence, arrogance, goofball playfulness or whatever you want to call it in with the skill and physicality, and I'd agree with the writer that he's a lightning rod for critics and non-fans. The racism angle; I personally don't define him as an "African American QB" but I'd imagine there's plenty of others who are racist who do add him being black to the reasons they don't like Cam Newton. Apparently it is something he's heard before or is paranoid of.

And Darin hit it on the head with the media...in this day and age, it's all about what gets people talking, clicking on links, and getting fired up. The black angle apparently does that and Cam unfortunately gave it more legs than it would have had on its own.

Edited by WildTurkey

What does Warren Moon have to do with Cam? Oh wait a minute. I get it. I think.

Lol, seriously? Cam is the one singling himself out as unique due in part to his color. Well, if we're going to talk specifically black quarterbacks then I'd like to point out that he's not even the best one of them and still has a ways to go to meet that standard. Edited by rajncajn

Lol, seriously? Cam is the one singling himself out as unique due in part to his color. Well, if we're going to talk specifically black quarterbacks then I'd like to point out that he's not even the best one of them and still has a ways to go to meet that standard.

they were saying on ESPN radio that youth coaches will let black kids that they normally wouldn't let play qb do it now because Cam is a black QB :wacko:

I mean there is some truth to what he said. I'm not saying anybody on this website/forum does it, but anytime Cam Newton is brought up and compared to other QB's, he is only compared to other Black QB's such as Vick, Moon, etc. instead of being compared to other qb's such as Young, Elway, etc.

I hate people pulling the race card, but I don't think in this case it's so far-fetched.

• Like 1

Yeah I believe this is a pretty naive statement, especially concerning the NFL and NBA. I think racial issues are still pretty prominent in those sports.