[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No-class Newton quick exits from press conference

BeeR

I actually thought all the Cam hating going on this year was over the top. Now after seeing how he handled that press conference I totally get it. He makes himself look like a fool with the way he handled that. I do recall this being his normal self now, I guess it just kind of slipped my mind considering they only lost one game this year up until this point. He clearly still has some growing up to do.

This ^ ... I was a person somewhat in his corner with all the antics and not thinking they were too bad but that pouting episode takes the cake. I do understand it's right after arguable the toughest loss of his life but this guy has some serious growing up to do to ever be considered in the same sentence as the greats before him. A champion and all time great will be considered for the way they won and lost.

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe
  • Like 1

Just for arguments sake, why is it that Brady and Belichick act that way in their losing pressers pretty much every time and it is never an issue ? Cam answered a few questions and then walked out after being asked if he was disappointed and then if he was disappointed for his team. What was he supposed to say ? He should have stayed and just "read the script" but I half wonder if this isn't such a huge issue because it is merely a chance to pile on and everyone wants to be quoted after a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

Just for arguments sake, why is it that Brady and Belichick act that way in their losing pressers pretty much every time and it is never an issue ? Cam answered a few questions and then walked out after being asked if he was disappointed and then if he was disappointed for his team. What was he supposed to say ? He should have stayed and just "read the script" but I half wonder if this isn't such a huge issue because it is merely a chance to pile on and everyone wants to be quoted after a Super Bowl.

I think it's pretty simple really. Those two don't act much different win or lose. Cam is over the top when he wins and the polar opposite when he loses.

• Like 1

The way Belicheck and Brady act when they win is comparable to the way they act when they lose. Do they dance around and take team photos when they get first downs and touchdowns? Cam gets this crap because he loves to gloat and rub it in when things are going his way, yet he acts like my 5 year old when I don't let her have ice cream before dinner when he loses. IMO

This ^ ... I was a person somewhat in his corner with all the antics and not thinking they were too bad but that pouting episode takes the cake. I do understand it's right after arguable the toughest loss of his life but this guy has some serious growing up to do to ever be considered in the same sentence as the greats before him. A champion and all time great will be considered for the way they won and lost.

Agree - and what a shock that the worlds biggest wet blanket/do0sh is the OP on this.... :lol:

Edited by darin3

Belichick is a turd at press conferences win or lose. Brady may be a turd, but he usually stands up there and answers the questions. I think there was one time he cut it short . . . not positive.

I have not problem with Marshawn Lynch or Marvin Harrison either. They don't want to talk at all.

But Cam wants all the attention when winning. But none when losing. That's bullmanure.

I legitimately want him to answer the question: Why didn't you go after that fumble??

• Like 2

Would it have been better if he had come out with a better attitude and weathered the storm a bit longer, sure. But really I don't have that big a problem with what he did. He is clearly very young and clearly very emotional (highs and lows) ... I know I want the players on my team to be 100% emotionally invested in the outcome of the game. Really I think the reporters were asking stupid questions anyway "can you put into words how you feel" ... how the hell do you think he feels? Personally I don't think the players should have to make an appearance to the media after the game, especially after a loss when they are so raw.

• Like 3

Would it have been better if he had come out with a better attitude and weathered the storm a bit longer, sure. But really I don't have that big a problem with what he did. He is clearly very young and clearly very emotional (highs and lows) ... I know I want the players on my team to be 100% emotionally invested in the outcome of the game. Really I think the reporters were asking stupid questions anyway "can you put into words how you feel" ... how the hell do you think he feels? Personally I don't think the players should have to make an appearance to the media after the game, especially after a loss when they are so raw.

post game pressers ARE stupid.

However, Cams almost 27, he's not "very young", and if he wants to pose for team pictures before time expires when they win he should be less of a spoiled rotten child who didn't get his way when they lose.

Even though I did obviously enjoy watching it :)

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys
  • Like 1

Meh. The way he handled it didn't surprise me one bit. Was it immature? Sure. Does it mean he's "classless"? I don't think so. He's obviously got some growing up to do, but again, that doesn't really surprise me.

It reminded me of the way some NCAA hoops players handle losing. In other words, kids. That's what Cam is... Still needs to grow up a bit, if he wants to be a true leader, in every aspect of the word.

There are different ways of leading... by your performance, by your words (being vocal), and by your actions. Cam is a stud player, no doubt, but he still has some work to do in the other two areas. I was honestly more turned off by his actions (during the game) than the press conference. Falling down (like a kid throwing a tantrum) when your teammate gets a penalty called against them is another sign of immaturity. As is screaming for a flag after running for your life, in your own end zone, on 3rd and long.

Maybe he'll get it eventually, maybe he won't. But, I didn't think the press conference was that big of a deal. He could have handled it better, but he could have done much worse as well.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

What's your message to Panthers fans?
"We'll be back."

[Carolina coach] Ron [Rivera] said Denver two years ago had a tough time and they bounced back. Do you take that to heart?
"No."

Can you put a finger on why Carolina didn't play the way it normally plays?
"Got outplayed."

Is there a reason why?
"Got outplayed, bro."

Was it pretty much what you had seen on film from Denver? Anything different they put in for this game?
"Nothing different."

Do we sometimes forget that defenses can still take apart the offenses in this game?
"No."

What did Ron Rivera say after the game?
"He told us a lot of things."

Anything in particular that was memorable?
"Nope."

Obviously you're disappointed. On the biggest stage it's difficult, I know.
[nods head]

Did you see anything that you didn't expect tonight?
"They just played better than us. I don't know what you want me to say. They made more plays than us, and that's what it comes down to. We had our opportunities. It wasn't nothing special that they did. We dropped balls, we turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That's it. They scored more points than us."

Can you put into words the disappointment you feel right now?
"We lost."

Did Denver change anything defensively to take away your running lanes?
"No."

I know you're disappointed not just for yourself, but for your teammates. It's got to be real tough.
[shakes head] "I'm done, man."

What's your message to Panthers fans?

"We'll be back."

[Carolina coach] Ron [Rivera] said Denver two years ago had a tough time and they bounced back. Do you take that to heart?

"No."

Can you put a finger on why Carolina didn't play the way it normally plays?

"Got outplayed."

Is there a reason why?

"Got outplayed, bro."

Was it pretty much what you had seen on film from Denver? Anything different they put in for this game?

"Nothing different."

Do we sometimes forget that defenses can still take apart the offenses in this game?

"No."

What did Ron Rivera say after the game?

"He told us a lot of things."

Anything in particular that was memorable?

"Nope."

Obviously you're disappointed. On the biggest stage it's difficult, I know.

[nods head]

Did you see anything that you didn't expect tonight?

"They just played better than us. I don't know what you want me to say. They made more plays than us, and that's what it comes down to. We had our opportunities. It wasn't nothing special that they did. We dropped balls, we turned the ball over, gave up sacks, threw errant passes. That's it. They scored more points than us."

Can you put into words the disappointment you feel right now?

"We lost."

Did Denver change anything defensively to take away your running lanes?

"No."

I know you're disappointed not just for yourself, but for your teammates. It's got to be real tough.

[shakes head] "I'm done, man."

In the days of print media, this wouldn't have been so bad. The body language is the most damning aspect of that presser.

I get the disappointment, but those are some pretty softball questions. Could of just expounded ever so slightly and it would of been 3 minutes and he could of been like sorry everyone, I'm going to go be with my teammates or something. Even reading the interview, it comes off as petulant.

Saw an article defending him saying that it wasn't Cams fault. Basicly they said that the comment Chris Harris Jr. was making close by about forcing Carolina to pass was what caused him to run off. But that that doesn't excuse it, and it certainly doesn't excuse how he was acting towards the reporters prior to walking off.

In the days of print media, this wouldn't have been so bad. The body language is the most damning aspect of that presser.

Even in the days before social media it isn't that bad. I didn't watch the presser but reading the transcrpipt DMD provides I don't get what is so bad. Sure he could have expanded on things, but he admitted they were outplayed, the other team was just better. I mean what else do people want?

I know its Cam, with all his dabbing and celebrating, and because of that people want him to spill his guts or have a breakdown at the press conference. Yes the body language was bad, but really the questions are a bit dumb and the answers sounded honest.

To me more than anythings its leaving the press confernece before it is over. I presume these have some set time limits (imposed by NFL or team people who control the presser) so its not like Cam would have to sit there forever otherwise.

Like many things, much more is being made out of this than it really is. Just another thing to focus on and over analyze since the game is over, and people are not as interested in rehashing the actual game.

Even in the days before social media it isn't that bad. I didn't watch the presser but reading the transcrpipt DMD provides I don't get what is so bad. Sure he could have expanded on things, but he admitted they were outplayed, the other team was just better. I mean what else do people want?

I know its Cam, with all his dabbing and celebrating, and because of that people want him to spill his guts or have a breakdown at the press conference. Yes the body language was bad, but really the questions are a bit dumb and the answers sounded honest.

To me more than anythings its leaving the press confernece before it is over. I presume these have some set time limits (imposed by NFL or team people who control the presser) so its not like Cam would have to sit there forever otherwise.

Like many things, much more is being made out of this than it really is. Just another thing to focus on and over analyze since the game is over, and people are not as interested in rehashing the actual game.

you really need to watch it

you really need to watch it

I will, and I'm sure I'll be a bit angry at him. I'm just saying people like to find a target for anger and vent, it is what people do. The internet and social media have increased that, I'm not immune to it by any stretch. I just think many blasting Cam very harshly hated him already, and are just using this as a chance to lash out. I'm not a big fan but also didn't dislike him. DMDs transcript made me look at the Q & A part more objectively, and has me doing some :shrug:

• Like 1

I will, and I'm sure I'll be a bit angry at him. I'm just saying people like to find a target for anger and vent, it is what people do. The internet and social media have increased that, I'm not immune to it by any stretch. I just think many blasting Cam very harshly hated him already, and are just using this as a chance to lash out. I'm not a big fan but also didn't dislike him. DMDs transcript made me look at the Q & A part more objectively, and has me doing some :shrug:

Commenting on something you haven't seen and have zero context on is the only :shrug:

He showed his stripes. He's a poor winner and now he's a poor loser. If you're going to rub it in the opponent's face and dance in their endzone and make the comment "if you don't like it, stop it" you damn well better be able to take 5 minutes out of your life to put on your big boy pants and grown man face and face the music when it's time to do so. F him.

• Like 2

"if you don't like my dabbing keep me out of the end zone", "there's no quarterback you can compare me to", etc..leading up to the game. Not to mention his ridiculous team selfies on the sidelines of games that they took before the clock expired.

Denver owned him in the SB. He acted like a spoiled child on the sidelines when his D committed a penalty late in the game. He wussed out of trying to recover his fumble in the 4th quarter. Etc..

Then in his turn in the press conference he was a pouting immature fool. He showed the world who he is. He is not a good winner and is an even worse loser

• Like 1

Cam was short, gave one word answers and essentially walked off the stage after the required 3 minutes or whatever he was technically supposed to do under NFL rules. But I think it's only fair to give a few reasons why he may be getting more of a bad rap then he deserves. I still think he could and should have handled it much better but I'll throw a few things out in his defense...

1. It cannot be easy to sit there after the lowest point in your career and get asked the same question 5 times in a row. He wasn't rude, he was simply short with the media and said Denver played better, made more plays, etc. He didn't make excuses and pointed to the whole Carolina team, including himself, making mistakes when he blamed turnovers, errant throws, etc.

2. Anyone who says "He should have handled it better or differently" likely hasn't been put in that situation before. None (or few) of us know what it feels like to work towards something for 5+ years and, specifically, for 12 months following last year's playoff loss and finally get the opportunity to achieve a lifelong goal only to have it end abruptly in just 3 short hours and THEN have to answer questions about it.

3. Finally, I'll say that the Santa Clara media environment for the post game interviews was atrocious. It was loud, congested, the audio seemed hard to hear but even worse, the players for BOTH TEAMS were being interviewed near each other in adjacent areas, sometimes only separated by a curtain. Cam was being interviewed right near Chris Harris from Denver. You can hear in the audio below how loud Harris' microphone was and how it completely overshadowed Cam's interview. Newton is basically sitting there and between questions from the media he's hearing Harris basically say, "the game plan was to make them throw the ball? Can Cam throw the ball? That was the plan." That's when Cam got up and said he's outta there.

Good article at ESPN on this....(and much better audio)

espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/19629/denvers-chris-harris-could-have-played-a-role-in-cam-newton-walking-out-on-media

Again, not making excuses. As the leader of the team who has often spoke for 20 minutes in front of the mic after a game Cam Newton has to take the medicine when he loses. Last night he took the medicine but grimaced and didn't take it easily.

• Like 2