[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No-class Newton quick exits from press conference

BeeR

I'm not sure it bothered me as much as I enjoyed it to be honest.

Karma's a bitch

That I can agree with, actually. More than anything, I wanted the SB to be a close/enjoyable game to watch. Second on my wish list was for Cam's ego to get knocked down a couple of notches. Third, even though I didn't have any major feeling either way, I was pulling ever so slightly for Denver, if for no other reason than I think Peyton deserves to have as many rings as his little bro.

I ended up 3 for 3. ;)

• Like 4

Cam is not the face of the NFL. Not my NFL that I have been watching since 1979 .

Not sure how to take this, I mean the game has changed several times since then. It kind of sounds like a back in my day type statement. Hate to break this, but if so well your day has come and gone my friend. Like it or not, you will be seeing Cam's face a lot over the 2016 season and possibly beyond depending on performance/injuries. What exactly is meant by that?

As far as the classless remarks I don't think I'd go that far. He does a lot of stuff for kids & that alone deserves some respect. The guy also has a ton of talent, he's just a very poor sport. My only real issue with him (and it's not really with him specifically) is the amount that he's been propped up and being sold as the face of the NFL and being a great leader & role model etc and every time he acts like he did in the game & press conference people bend over backwards to try to excuse it. Too often these days we see kids behaving badly and their parents just ignore it or make excuses for them. Cam seems to be the poster child (literally & figuratively) for that type of mentality.

• Like 4

As far as the classless remarks I don't think I'd go that far. He does a lot of stuff for kids & that alone deserves some respect. The guy also has a ton of talent, he's just a very poor sport. My only real issue with him (and it's not really with him specifically) is the amount that he's been propped up and being sold as the face of the NFL and being a great leader & role model etc and every time he acts like he did in the game & press conference people bend over backwards to try to excuse it. Too often these days we see kids behaving badly and their parents just ignore it or make excuses for them. Cam seems to be the poster child (literally & figuratively) for that type of mentality.

Wow, this kid has talent! What an incredible college player... Heisman all the way, baby! He's going to redefine the QB position in the NFL!!!

Wait, he is a thug!!! Typical.

Man... that was a pretty impressive rookie year! Had some INTs but man, he's a stud!

Uh oh, the rushing yards are down... so is the passing. INTs still pretty high.... dude's starting to look like a BUST!!!!

Lost his #1 WR... went 7-8-1 last year... Panthers are going to suck, and so will Newton. Bust!!!

MVP. Dude's unstoppable and a complete fantasy force.

Ehhhh, he celebrates too much. Ehhhh... he's phony....

Seriously people... why do we feel the urge to knock down those that we previously tried to build up? You people remind me of guys that would no longer listen to certain bands because they became "too popular". Get over yourselves.

Yeah, he should have handled the presser a bit differently. But spending all this time and energy on knocking the guy around for every little thing seems pretty immature. Especially when "immature" is the key word being used to describe Newton. Hypocrite much?

• Like 3

Wow, this kid has talent! What an incredible college player... Heisman all the way, baby! He's going to redefine the QB position in the NFL!!!

Man... that was a pretty impressive rookie year! Had some INTs but man, he's a stud!

Uh oh, the rushing yards are down... so is the passing. INTs still pretty high.... dude's starting to look like a BUST!!!!

Lost his #1 WR... went 7-8-1 last year... Panthers are going to suck, and so will Newton. Bust!!!

Seriously people... why do we feel the urge to knock down those that we previously tried to build up? You people remind me of guys that would no longer listen to certain bands because they became "too popular". Get over yourselves.

Yeah, he should have handled the presser a bit differently. But spending all this time and energy on knocking the guy around for every little thing seems pretty immature. Especially when "immature" is the key word being used to describe Newton. Hypocrite much?

lmao

My brain hurts after having read this. I'm not even sure who this is directed at, but since you quoted me I can only assume. I certainly don't see how the "popular bands" comment would apply since I've never liked the band to begin with. :shrug:

And now I'm a racist, full of myself and a hypocrite because I don't like poor Cam. Awesome!

Expecting someone to behave like a mature adult is immature. Getting fed up with people defending said immaturity is immature. Got it. How can one possibly argue with that logic? :facepalm:

Edited by rajncajn

It's true, dude. It's a constant cycle of wanting someone to be great, but then knocking them down once they reach a pinnacle. It's happened with LeBron James too. :shrug:

Whatever. Keep on with your hatin'.

Yes, let's not hold "King" James accountable for being an ass either...

Seriously, I'm done with this subject. You've made my case well enough.

My brain hurts after having read this. I'm not even sure who this is directed at, but since you quoted me I can only assume. I certainly don't see how the "popular bands" comment would apply since I've never liked the band to begin with. :shrug:

And now I'm a racist, full of myself and a hypocrite because I don't like poor Cam. Awesome!

Expecting someone to behave like a mature adult is immature. Getting fed up with people defending said immaturity is immature. Got it. How can one possibly argue with that logic? :facepalm:

Yes, let's not hold "King" James accountable for being an ass either...

Seriously, I'm done with this subject. You've made my case well enough.

Whoa dude. You totally misinterpreted the reason I quoted your post. :shrug:

Guess I'm done here too...

Sorry I guess.

Edited by darin3

It's true, dude. It's a constant cycle of wanting someone to be great, but then knocking them down once they reach a pinnacle. It's happened with LeBron James too. :shrug:

Whatever. Keep on with your hatin'.

I've never wanted Cam to be great lol. Couldnt really care less about him. The guy acts like a chives on the field. I enjoyed watching him lose then act like a tool after the game.

I don't get into the NBA but have thought Lebron was a dooosh since the "I'm taking my talents"...

:shrug:

• Like 1

I think Cam Newton is a very very talented QB.

I don't really care about his antics/celebrations on the field. I am generally of the mind set that if an opposing team doesn't like those antics they should play defense and keep him out of the endzone. And when Cam does get into the endzone and celebrates, as is his fashion, the defense needs to put their big boy panties on and not get their feelings all hurt because Cam is celebrating. By the same token when they get to Cam they have every right to celebrate and Cam has to put his big boy panties on and behave like a man.

Cam Newton is obviously a sore loser (he admits as much) and doesn't understand that you can demonstrate sportsmanship and class even in defeat. A display of sportsmanship and class after a loss is not an admission that you are content with losing. His behavior in the press conference was childish/immature and in my opinion demeaning to the Broncos. He said some of the right words about the loss but was clearly throwing a tantrum.

Having said all that ... I think post game pressers are stupid and they should be eliminated. The media loves the opportunity to get to these players when their emotions are raw so they can stir the pot. And in the end, while childish, Cam's behavior in the press conference didn't really bother me all that much. He DID demonstrate sportsmanship on the field after the loss by congratulating Manning ... and that is more important than his post game presser. Lastly as I said before I definitely prefer my players to be emotionally invested in their team and the outcome.

The bigger issue I have with Cam was the idea that he didn't give his all during the game because he was concerned he might injure himself.

Edited by Grits and Shins
  • Like 3

This isn't getting enough press IMO. That was definitely some bush league bulltaco from the event organizers. It's the freaking Super Bowl and you don't have separate post-game press rooms? WTF?

Cam should have done a better job of taking it like a man, but I also don't blame him for not sitting there listening to Harris talk about how the game plan was to basically force him into making a tacoload of errors. (Not saying Harris did anything wrong, he was just answering questions about their game plan, but Cam ought not have to sit there and listen to all of that)

:crybaby:

:closed::bash::smashpc:

• 8 months later...

Losing gracefully is just as important as winning gracefully. Doesn't matter if you get asked the same question 10 times after every loss, it comes with the territory of the starting QB/face of the franchise. Learn how to handle it. It doesn't just apply to football but all of life's situations. This isn't about growth as just a professional athlete but as a person as well.

• Like 5