[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Forte announces the Bears will not re-sign him

Montana is da Man

How much is he going to command on the open market? $7 mil per year over 2-3 years?

Tough to say, I think $6 mil is more realistic high end and probably in between 4-5 mil to play with a contender. Probably will target 3 years. Only teams that will offer him $7 are those flushed with space, which is mainly the not so good teams at the moment. There's some considerable other runners out there this year too which could dilute his market. While I think Forte is better, teams have to consider going younger with the likes of Martin or Miller first and then could decide to go cheaper with the likes of Starks, Blount, and Ivory.

I saw on rotoworld last wk that someone speculated he'd be lucky to get 4mil a yr. And he's was quoted "it ain't about the money, its about a super bowl" or something along those lines

Saw that too.

Corey Dillon part ll

I bet he can get $10 million a year if he goes to a team like Oakland or Jacksonville (neither bad landing spots). Forte is still playing at a very high level and has every intangible possible. I think people are underestimating his market value.

Sounds :fishy: but I'll bite.

Even D. Murray's ridiculous contract from crazy Kelly last year doesn't average $10 mil a year. The position is devalued and has seen a decrease in salary over the last 2-3 years (at very least). AP should be the only back out there making $10+ and even that I would find hard to swallow as a GM.

Sounds :fishy: but I'll bite.

Even D. Murray's ridiculous contract from crazy Kelly last year doesn't average $10 mil a year. The position is devalued and has seen a decrease in salary over the last 2-3 years (at very least). AP should be the only back out there making $10+ and even that I would find hard to swallow as a GM.

I'd rather have Forte on my team than Murray by a long shot.

Well, you can always load up Madden and sign him for $10M per year. :)

I've never played Madden. And I wouldn't pay Forte $10 million a year. But some teams will be more than willing. A two-year contract for $20 million isn't a big contract for a difference maker especially with the rising salary cap. And you can't compare Forte to Murray. Forte hasn't ever had a bad year and has so many different skills. Teams didn't even know if Murray was a good running back since his offensive line was so dominant. Few teams had interest in Murray last year. 10 or 15 teams will have interest in Forte. I think he forgoes the money and instead plays for the Patriots.

I've never played Madden. And I wouldn't pay Forte $10 million a year. But some teams will be more than willing. A two-year contract for $20 million isn't a big contract for a difference maker especially with the rising salary cap. And you can't compare Forte to Murray. Forte hasn't ever had a bad year and has so many different skills. Teams didn't even know if Murray was a good running back since his offensive line was so dominant. Few teams had interest in Murray last year. 10 or 15 teams will have interest in Forte. I think he forgoes the money and instead plays for the Patriots.

You know what, you're right. I'll compare Forte to Forte. His last contract signed back in 2012 - 4 years 30.4M. And that's a still in his prime contract. Just because the cap is raising by 10-13 million (estimated) doesn't mean teams are going to start throwing money at the position again, especially for a back on the wrong side of 30. The market just is not there to justify that type of signing.

Again he's been a good back, but Miller and Martin are more likely to see higher contracts then Forte and they won't touch that level either. They'll all be happy to get 7 per. I digress...carry on.

• Like 1

$10M per year just sounds like way too much, what other RB in recent history with 1-2 decent years left got anything close to that.

His average salary on his last contract with the Bears was $7.5M/year (see Def. made this point too)

Average 2016 top salaries for NFL RBs under contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/running-back/

They also have some good stuff looking at free agents and setting market value, about $7.5M for Forte

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/matt-forte/market-value/

I bet he can get $10 million a year if he goes to a team like Oakland or Jacksonville (neither bad landing spots). Forte is still playing at a very high level and has every intangible possible. I think people are underestimating his market value.

I don't believe he will get half that. He's no longer an elite talent and a lot of teams are not willing to shell out a lot of money at the RB position.

• Like 1

His average salary on his last contract with the Bears was $7.5M/year (see Def. made this point too)

If he didn't sign that contract, he would have had to have played for a $7.7 million tender. Instead he signed for 4 years with $17 guaranteed. He was a player who hadn't made much on his rookie contract. An extra $10 million in guaranteed money was hugh. He had no bargaining power and he wasn't the type to hold out. Chicago chiseled him in my opinion. He would have commanded $12+ million per year with $30 million guaranteed on the open market in 2012.

Players negotiating for big contracts usually have time left on their contract or a franchise tag. It limits how much they can make. Forte is in a position where he isn't worth franchising, but several teams will be willing to overpay for his services. A two-year contract for $20 million with $10 guaranteed is not a lot to risk for a team. The Packers and Patriots won't pay it, but Shad Khan or Oakland might.

If he didn't sign that contract, he would have had to have played for a $7.7 million tender. Instead he signed for 4 years with $17 guaranteed. He was a player who hadn't made much on his rookie contract. An extra $10 million in guaranteed money was hugh. He had no bargaining power and he wasn't the type to hold out. Chicago chiseled him in my opinion. He would have commanded $12+ million per year with $30 million guaranteed on the open market in 2012.

Players negotiating for big contracts usually have time left on their contract or a franchise tag. It limits how much they can make. Forte is in a position where he isn't worth franchising, but several teams will be willing to overpay for his services. A two-year contract for $20 million with $10 guaranteed is not a lot to risk for a team. The Packers and Patriots won't pay it, but Shad Khan or Oakland might.

as was posted above at least once, "it ain't about the money, its about the Super Bowl".

We'll see

If there's a guy I'd ever believe with the whole "it's not about the money, it's about a Super Bowl" thing, it's Forte. Honestly, as a Bear fan that's owned the guy in a dynasty league for the past 4+ years, I'll be fairly surprised if he's not a Pat in a few months. And boy will I be pumped to see what he can do there.

• Like 1

If we're talking teams with a few holes that have a chance to push through this year and money being taken out of the equation, I could see Miami as a fit.

If Lamaar Miller and Matt Forte are both around the same price. I could see new coach (and offensive mastermind) Adam Gase making some waves by signing Forte. Fans would love it, think the front office would like the aggresivness of the move too. He's an upgrade over Miller and gives Tannehill another receiving option as well.

But to say he'll sign with a contender (teams like DEN, NE, GB, SEA, etc.) is hard to imagine even at a reduced price. Most of those teams either have higher priorities during free agency or already have a franchise player at RB.

Edited by AX2RUN

If we're talking teams with a few holes that have a chance to push through this year and money being taken out of the equation, I could see Miami as a fit.

If Lamaar Miller and Matt Forte are both around the same price. I could see new coach (and offensive mastermind) Adam Gase making some waves by signing Forte. Fans would love it, think the front office would like the aggresivness of the move too. He's an upgrade over Miller and gives Tannehill another receiving option as well.

But to say he'll sign with a contender (teams like DEN, NE, GB, SEA, etc.) is hard to imagine even at a reduced price. Most of those teams either have higher priorities during free agency or already have a franchise player at RB.

CJ Anderson?

Dion Lewis?

Eddie Lacy?

Thomas Rawls?

These are the franchise RB's you are referring to?

• Like 3

CJ Anderson?

Dion Lewis?

Eddie Lacy?

Thomas Rawls?

These are the franchise RB's you are referring to?

I would certainly consider CJ, Lacy, and Lewis franchise backs. Not superstars, but certainly players that the teams like and have plans for in the long term. And as for the rest please read the WHOLE post before you comment, not just the bits you object to. "OR HIGHER PRIORITIES DURING FREE AGENCY" I stated.

Even if Forte were to agree to take something like >4 million a year (which I would sh!t my pants if he did) do you really think John Elway would concern himself with an over the hill injury prone RB when he's got a high school quality oline set to protect his newly payed Brock Osweiler and is about to lose no less than 2 defensive starters in free agency? Adding Forte would be counter productive for NE. Lewis has similar (if not better) receiving abilities, he's younger, he knows the team/playbook, and is scheduled to be back from his ACL injury by training camp. When Lacy is at his proper weight he's easily a top 10 RB, so I'm not sure what your deal is with him.

I'd rather have Forte on my team than Murray by a long shot.

It is easy to say this now after Murray had a rough season. DeMarco Murray deserved everything he had thrown at him after his career year in his contract season. If they were both on the market last season almost every team in the NFL would have offered more money to Murray than Forte.

I would certainly consider CJ, Lacy, and Lewis franchise backs. Not superstars, but certainly players that the teams like and have plans for in the long term. And as for the rest please read the WHOLE post before you comment, not just the bits you object to. "OR HIGHER PRIORITIES DURING FREE AGENCY" I stated.

Even if Forte were to agree to take something like >4 million a year (which I would sh!t my pants if he did) do you really think John Elway would concern himself with an over the hill injury prone RB when he's got a high school quality oline set to protect his newly payed Brock Osweiler and is about to lose no less than 2 defensive starters in free agency? Adding Forte would be counter productive for NE. Lewis has similar (if not better) receiving abilities, he's younger, he knows the team/playbook, and is scheduled to be back from his ACL injury by training camp. When Lacy is at his proper weight he's easily a top 10 RB, so I'm not sure what your deal is with him.

Obviously Matt Forte is not expecting to go to a contender and be the bell cow.

I don't know if Forte would go sign with Green Bay, but there is not a better spot. He could spell Lacy when he gets tired, which we all know is often, and would get all the 3rd down work.

Dion Lewis was having a nice season, but he will be recovering from a torn ACL so it would be understandable for the Patriots to look for some insurance. Just because he is scheduled to be back doesn't mean he will be. ACLs are tough to recover from. What better insurance than one of the premier pass-catching running backs of the last 10 years? . A smart player that would not have much of a problem learning the Patriot running back role. Remember Dion Lewis was having that nice season in his first season with the Patriots. I have no doubt that Matt Forte would be able to pick it up in the off season.

Did you watch CJ Anderson run the ball this season? He can't be a lead back. He has to at least be a part of a duo committee.

I think the Patriots will sign Alfred Morris as the perfect complement to Dion Lewis. He will be significantly cheaper than Forte. I'd say there is roughly a snowball's chance in Hell that Forte ends up in New England.

When Lacy is at his proper weight he's easily a top 10 RB, so I'm not sure what your deal is with him.

Yeah I know how to read bro. Simply asking why you consider them "franchise" players cause I don't. And Lacy is never at his proper weight.