[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Forte announces the Bears will not re-sign him

Montana is da Man

Did you watch CJ Anderson run the ball this season? He can't be a lead back. He has to at least be a part of a duo committee.

I watched him have flashes of brillince, especially when Osweiler was in for a few weeks and the Kubiak offense was being run the way it's designed. Ryan Clady and Ty Sombrailo will be back next year, and on top of that I fully expect John Elway to make some moves on the oline to make sure Kubiak has the pieces he needs to run his zone system effectively. CJ will be the guy everyone thought he was coming into this season next year.

GB already has Stark to come in when Lacy is winded, and it seems to me that they're happy with that arangment.

Even if the unlikely scenario of Lewis not being ready for next season unfolds, NE still has a Forte-ish player in Bolden. I don't think it make sense there.

My point all along has been that I dont think he plays for a contender like he wants to. And if he doesn't want to play for a loser (the teams with the money and need for his services) then that leaves the teams that are close to pushing it to the next level. I think teams like MIA, WAS, or DAL. To me it does no good to just name a bunch of teams where hed look good. You have to think of it from the business side of things too. Every elite player would be great on any roster, doeant mean the teams a fit.

:shocking::tinfoilhat:

I didn't say Bolden was as good as Forte, I said he is Forte-ISH. Since the meaning of the suffix "ish" is lost on you, I'll just leave this here...

Ish - meaning origin, nature, or RESEMBLANCE of a noun.

I didn't say Bolden was as good as Forte, I said he is Forte-ISH. Since the meaning of the suffix "ish" is lost on you, I'll just leave this here...

Ish - meaning origin, nature, or RESEMBLANCE of a noun.

That's just stupidish

And no matter how you size it up, you made a direct comparison between Forte and Bolden. :nono:

I watched him have flashes of brillince, especially when Osweiler was in for a few weeks and the Kubiak offense was being run the way it's designed. Ryan Clady and Ty Sombrailo will be back next year, and on top of that I fully expect John Elway to make some moves on the oline to make sure Kubiak has the pieces he needs to run his zone system effectively. CJ will be the guy everyone thought he was coming into this season next year.

GB already has Stark to come in when Lacy is winded, and it seems to me that they're happy with that arangment.

Even if the unlikely scenario of Lewis not being ready for next season unfolds, NE still has a Forte-ish player in Bolden. I don't think it make sense there.

My point all along has been that I dont think he plays for a contender like he wants to. And if he doesn't want to play for a loser (the teams with the money and need for his services) then that leaves the teams that are close to pushing it to the next level. I think teams like MIA, WAS, or DAL. To me it does no good to just name a bunch of teams where hed look good. You have to think of it from the business side of things too. Every elite player would be great on any roster, doeant mean the teams a fit.

While I agree with you that we can't just name off players and plug them into specific places, I just disagreed with some of you reasons why and that you seem to view them as impossible.

"When Lacy is at his proper weight he's easily a top 10 RB" - the RB position has turned into a multiple player position, the things Forte does well are in direct contrast to what Lacy does well. They would theoretically work well as a duo. That being said, I don't forsee Forte pulling a Favre and moving to a division rival.

"Lewis has similar (if not better) receiving abilities, he's younger, he knows the team/playbook, and is scheduled to be back from his ACL injury by training camp." - I was simply saying that Forte could surely learn the playbook by the time the season started and there is no guarantee Lewis heals as quickly as expected. Again, I agree that it would not make the most sense for the Patriots to sign Matt Forte, but I think of all the contenders they have greater chance.

"Even if Forte were to agree to take something like >4 million a year (which I would sh!t my pants if he did) do you really think John Elway would concern himself with an over the hill injury prone RB when he's got a high school quality oline set to protect his newly payed Brock Osweiler and is about to lose no less than 2 defensive starters in free agency?" - I would say using phrases like "over the hill" and "injury-prone" to state why your Super Bowl winning team wouldn't want to add a guy like Matt Forte to back up their supposed star in CJ Anderson? First, we saw Chris Johnson rise from the dead at 32 years old in a great offense, who is to say Forte couldn't have something similar happen at age 30 on a great team. As for the second ridiculous sentiment, He has missed 7 games in the past 8 years, that is hardly injury prone. In 5 of those seasons he played all 16 games. Your argument about paying the starters actually makes sense, but if the Broncos could get Matt Forte for like 4-5 mil a year they would be foolish to turn that down. He would help take a lot of pressure of the young leaders of the Broncos and give Osweiler a solid threat out of the back field.

"CJ will be the guy everyone thought he was coming into this season next year." - C'mon man. Nothing against the kid, he is a fine player and cool story, but there are few guys in the league that have the skills it takes to be a 75% of the carries, bell cow type of back. CJ Anderson is not one of them.

Edited by jkraft896

"CJ will be the guy everyone thought he was coming into this season next year." - C'mon man. Nothing against the kid, he is a fine player and cool story, but there are few guys in the league that have the skills it takes to be a 75% of the carries, bell cow type of back. CJ Anderson is not one of them.

Agree to disagree I suppose. We'll find out in a few months

If he didn't sign that contract, he would have had to have played for a $7.7 million tender. Instead he signed for 4 years with $17 guaranteed. He was a player who hadn't made much on his rookie contract. An extra $10 million in guaranteed money was hugh. He had no bargaining power and he wasn't the type to hold out. Chicago chiseled him in my opinion. He would have commanded $12+ million per year with $30 million guaranteed on the open market in 2012.

Players negotiating for big contracts usually have time left on their contract or a franchise tag. It limits how much they can make. Forte is in a position where he isn't worth franchising, but several teams will be willing to overpay for his services. A two-year contract for $20 million with $10 guaranteed is not a lot to risk for a team. The Packers and Patriots won't pay it, but Shad Khan or Oakland might.

2 RBs had contracts where they made more than $10 mill/ year last year. AP and Lynch. And now a team is going to come in and give that to someone past their prime who will turn 31 in December. I think any GM who signed that contract would be fired on the spot.

• Like 4

Of course this is all just speculation at this point, but Forte to the Seahawks would be so sweet. I'm not sure if they have the room, I don't know the money side of things that well. But surely Lynch's departure would free up a lot of space? And they're obviously a Super Bowl contender, and not in the same division. The only RB they're really tied to is Rawls, who has started like 6 games. And he's probably getting paid next to nothing. DuJuan Harris was released, Michael and Brown are likely either release-able or very cheap, and that just leaves Fred Jackson, who is also probably getting paid very little.

Would also like to see him on the Giants but there are way too many overpaid RBs on that team already. That website someone posted the previous page has Vereen at NUMBER EIGHT and Jennings at 21. How tf did that happen...

Of course this is all just speculation at this point, but Forte to the Seahawks would be so sweet. I'm not sure if they have the room, I don't know the money side of things that well. But surely Lynch's departure would free up a lot of space? And they're obviously a Super Bowl contender, and not in the same division. The only RB they're really tied to is Rawls, who has started like 6 games. And he's probably getting paid next to nothing. DuJuan Harris was released, Michael and Brown are likely either release-able or very cheap, and that just leaves Fred Jackson, who is also probably getting paid very little.

Would also like to see him on the Giants but there are way too many overpaid RBs on that team already. That website someone posted the previous page has Vereen at NUMBER EIGHT and Jennings at 21. How tf did that happen...

I don't think there is anyway the Seahawks pony up for another aging RB. Especially since Rawls filled in brilliantly and is the defacto #1.

I don't think there is anyway the Seahawks pony up for another aging RB. Especially since Rawls filled in brilliantly and is the defacto #1.

They won't spend much, but they will almost certainly bring in some competition for Rawls.

• Like 1

The Seahawks aren't going to go into next year solely relying on Thomas Rawls. Pete Carroll has always put a premium on the running game. The Seahawks used 3 draft picks in 2012 and 2013 to draft Michael, Turbin, and Ware while Marshawn was still in his prime. They could have moved on from an aging Marshawn last year, but instead overpaid him. They probably overpaid Lynch because of how little depth they had at running back. I think they will replenish their running back depth. I think they'll sign a veteran power back who doesn't catch balls like Alfred Morris and use an early round draft pick on a running back.

The Seahawks aren't going to go into next year solely relying on Thomas Rawls. Pete Carroll has always put a premium on the running game. The Seahawks used 3 draft picks in 2012 and 2013 to draft Michael, Turbin, and Ware while Marshawn was still in his prime. They could have moved on from an aging Marshawn last year, but instead overpaid him. They probably overpaid Lynch because of how little depth they had at running back. I think they will replenish their running back depth. I think they'll sign a veteran power back who doesn't catch balls like Alfred Morris and use an early round draft pick on a running back.

Disagree with a lot of this. Cmike was over drafted in the 2nd on potential; Turbin was a 4th and Ware was a 6th. They got Lynch for a 4th and Rawls was a UDFA. A 2nd, two 4ths, and a 6th over six years isn't putting a premium investment on RBs. Lynch was overpaid for one year and now he's done. Rawls looked fine as a power back and didn't necessarily assert himself as a pass catcher. Forte would be a great fit, but he will be all about the money when it comes down to it. Seattle may likely spend a mid to late draft pick on a RB, and most likely sign a guy like Chris Polk, who can play 3rd down catching back and take the horns from time to time.

Not to mention UFA Cmike was an adequate starter in pivotal games last year and will probably be in the Cmix for a contract; at least to the investment level of a mid to late round pick.

Assuming UFAs don't re-sign at D-line(Bennet), O-line (Okung/Sweezy), and hybrid LB/DLs (Bruce Irvin); these positions need more investment than RB.

But given the Pete Carroll way he will probably draft a QB in round 1.

Edited by Bobby Brown

Disagree with a lot of this. Cmike was over drafted in the 2nd on potential; Turbin was a 4th and Ware was a 6th. They got Lynch for a 4th and Rawls was a UDFA. A 2nd, two 4ths, and a 6th over six years isn't putting a premium investment on RBs. Lynch was overpaid for one year and now he's done. Rawls looked fine as a power back and didn't necessarily assert himself as a pass catcher. Forte would be a great fit, but he will be all about the money when it comes down to it. Seattle may likely spend a mid to late draft pick on a RB, and most likely sign a guy like Chris Polk, who can play 3rd down catching back and take the horns from time to time.

Not to mention UFA Cmike was an adequate starter in pivotal games last year and will probably be in the Cmix for a contract; at least to the investment level of a mid to late round pick.

Assuming UFAs don't re-sign at D-line(Bennet), O-line (Okung/Sweezy), and hybrid LB/DLs (Bruce Irvin); these positions need more investment than RB.

But given the Pete Carroll way he will probably draft a QB in round 1.

Sounds like he's taking draft notes from Ryan Grigson..

I wonder if the Bears will come in with a last minute offer to Forte. He is so important to the franchise and fans. It would be hard to believe that they wouldn't be willing to give him $7 or $8 million per year. Both sides might be acting like they aren't interested for the sake of negotiations. Forte did just buy a $4 million mansion in Chicago a year ago. It's a nice crib.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2015/1/27/9998398/chicago-bear-matt-forte-paid-over-4m-for-this-humongous-river-north

Edited by michaelredd9

I wonder if the Bears will come in with a last minute offer to Forte. He is so important to the franchise and fans. It would be hard to believe that they wouldn't be willing to give him $7 or $8 million per year. Both sides might be acting like they aren't interested for the sake of negotiations. Forte did just buy a $4 million mansion in Chicago a year ago. It's a nice crib.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2015/1/27/9998398/chicago-bear-matt-forte-paid-over-4m-for-this-humongous-river-north

0.0% chance that happens.

• Like 1

0.0% chance that happens.

+1

Chicago has obviously moved on with their younger backs. I would think Forte would go back but doesn't seem like he's going to get an offer.

And you guys that think a 30 year old back with high mileage is going to get >$5 mil are delusional

• Like 1

Rotoworld

One source at the Combine predicted free agent Matt Forte will be "hard pressed" to command more than $3 million annually on the open market.

Earlier this month, ESPN's Jeremy Fowler predicted Forte would be "lucky" to command $4 million annually after speaking to "a few NFL folks." Forte turns 31 toward the end of the 2016 season, and aging running backs rarely hit it big in free agency. On the other hand, Forte has been publicly open about his desire to play for a contending team and is willing to sacrifice money.
Feb 29 - 1:47 PM