[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tales from the Combine - 2016

darin3

It's early yet, but some tidbits I've noted over the first day... let's start with RBs.

* Zeke Elliott: 40 time: 4.47 ... a little slower than he was supposed to be

* Nick Marshall (UGA): 40 time ... 4.31 even after ACL surgery supposedly slowed him down a peg... highly recruited kid that in the right situation (read: zone block scheme) could be a gem. Also had 25 reps on the bench. Nice.

* Derrick Henry: 40 time, 4.54, about where you expected him to be... drawing unfortunate comparisons to Brandon Jacobs. Oof. Did rise up 37" on the vertical though and 130' broad jump (both impressive). 22 reps on bench. So... actually he's measuring well.

* Paul Perkins (UCLA) 40 time: 4.54... dude is supposed to be a do-everything back but when your 40 is this bad.... ouch. 32 inch vert too. Ehhh...

* Alex Collins (ARK): 40 time: 4,59 ... dang, was hoping for a number in the 4.4's... dude has quick feet but obviously the straight-line speed is lacking. Also a weak 28.5" vertical. Ouch.

* Devontae Booker (UTAH): 22 reps. No 40 time yet. Interested to see how fast he is.

* DeAndre Washington (TTech): Nice 3-cone time, shuttle runs and vertical. Pass-happy offense but ran well. Kind of small but could be a nice PPR find.

Edited by darin3

Henry is also compared to Eddie George as well. Henry running a 4.54 at 6-3, 247 is pretty amazing. He has the burden of being an Alabama back that has a history of underperforming in the NFL and he has a lot of mileage on him for his age. But he's been stellar so far. Henry. I believe he set a national record for high school rushing yards (12,124 yards) and had 153 career TDs there in Florida. He is a beast - but as always it changes in the NFL when he'll face college all-stars every week.

Not sure why Booker did not run.

Not sure any of them hurt or helped their draft stock other than Henry that fast at that size.

I hadn't heard the George comparisons but the Jacobs comps were a little harsh. I'd say more Steven Jackson. They run upright but have pretty good straight speed for their height/build.

Wonder if some of the numbers just haven't posted yet? You'd think they'd be instantaneous in this day and age. :lol:

Can't wait for the WRs. :yay:

Will jump around a bit here, landing with the LBs...

* Travis Feeney (UW): Heck of an athlete, flashing a solid 130" broad jump, 40' vert (top in class) and a sick 4.50 40. Tall-ish and wiry but man can he fly and move. Had a great senior season at U-dub. Really made a name for himself this weekend.

* Scooby Wright (ARI): No measurables really stand out. 113" broad jump, 4.90 40. The 31" vert is ok as is the 4.47 3-cone. This guy's just a consummate middle LB whose game will easily translate to the next level. He's Zach Thomas, basically.

* Jaylon Smith (ND): If you're in a dynasty league and want a no-brainer LB1 but can wait like 2-3 years, this is your guy. What a bummer that the blew his knee in the Fiesta Bowl. He's an all-pro waiting to happen. Obviously didn't participate in the combine but trust me if he did the numbers would reflect what an elite prospect he is.

* Leonard Floyd (UGA): One last of note here. He'll probably be one of those OLB-DL hybrids but if he's ever designated as a straight DL (and gains 20 pounds of muscle), he's one to watch. He's 6'6" with massive hands, a 4.6 40, 39.5 vertical and 127" broad jump, all near top-of-class.

Who won the weekend? C Wentz and the Tennessee Titans. Wentz looks like the top QB of the draft and Tennessee with no need for a QB at #1 but with the Browns at #2 (need a QB) and about 4-5 other teams; Titans are in the driver's seat to cash in like the Rams did a few years ago. Maybe their best trade is with the Browns at #2..??

* Travis Feeney (UW): Heck of an athlete, flashing a solid 130" broad jump, 40' vert (top in class) and a sick 4.50 40. Tall-ish and wiry but man can he fly and move. Had a great senior season at U-dub. Really made a name for himself this weekend.

* Scooby Wright (ARI): No measurables really stand out. 113" broad jump, 4.90 40. The 31" vert is ok as is the 4.47 3-cone. This guy's just a consummate middle LB whose game will easily translate to the next level. He's Zach Thomas, basically.

* Jaylon Smith (ND): If you're in a dynasty league and want a no-brainer LB1 but can wait like 2-3 years, this is your guy. What a bummer that the blew his knee in the Fiesta Bowl. He's an all-pro waiting to happen. Obviously didn't participate in the combine but trust me if he did the numbers would reflect what an elite prospect he is.

* Leonard Floyd (UGA): One last of note here. He'll probably be one of those OLB-DL hybrids but if he's ever designated as a straight DL (and gains 20 pounds of muscle), he's one to watch. He's 6'6" with massive hands, a 4.6 40, 39.5 vertical and 127" broad jump, all near top-of-class.

Darron Lee popped out as a workout warrior. At least he spells his name properly.

Who won the weekend? C Wentz and the Tennessee Titans. Wentz looks like the top QB of the draft and Tennessee with no need for a QB at #1 but with the Browns at #2 (need a QB) and about 4-5 other teams; Titans are in the driver's seat to cash in like the Rams did a few years ago. Maybe their best trade is with the Browns at #2..??

First it doesn't sound like any QB whether Wentz or Goff are worth such a high first round pick. Second while I believe the Browns will probably draft one at 1.02 they'd be crazy to trade up to #1 overall.

Feeney looks like a really long, lean impressive athlete. He looks a lot like a basketball player. Super nice, good smart kid. Way too soft to be a productive player in the NFL. Was a borderline 7th round pick before the combine. He'll go higher now, but his tape isn't good. He was never good enough to start at LB at UW, and ultimately got moved to DE to make room for better, young LB's. He didn't impress as a pass-rusher. No idea if he is a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 OLB, probably neither to be honest.

there's no need to trade with Tennessee but someone who really covets a QB could leapfrog the Browns

There is if the Browns want Wentz more than they would want Goff. I do think Tennessee will move the #1 pick and my guess is it will be for Wentz. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it - but I'd be willing to put quite a bit on it (if I had quite a bit to gamble). :)

Not saying Wentz is Ryan Leaf or even JaWalrus Ruffles but i have a sneaking suspicion that he's being overvalued and may be a hugh disappointment. Especially if a team mortgages their near-term future by moving up to get him at #1. Very interested to see what happens here.