[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sports Authority is closing 140 stores around the country.

Wolverines Fan

Not sure how it is in rest of country, but I always saw it as Dick's is to Sports Authority like Target is to Walmart...a negligible price increase for nicer quality

Here's a store closing list. You can't link anything off Yahoo. Only 2 OH stores and both around Columbus...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2016/03/03/sports-authority-store-closure-list/81268900/

:doh:

Thanks. Didn't know about the yahoo link thing.

Not sure how it is in rest of country, but I always saw it as Dick's is to Sports Authority like Target is to Walmart...a negligible price increase for nicer quality

Granted I don't shop for sports equipment much at all, but I never even knew Sports Authority was a retailer until I saw some of these stories. Around here its Dicks, and more Dicks.

As for the Target to Wal-Mart comparison if I can buy the same product at both places and its cheaper at one I'm probably shopping there. But I'm a cheap bastard that way, hate paying more than I have to. And some things like automotive supplies (oil and filter) are more available at Wal-Mart, the nearest auto parts store is much further than Wal-Mart.

As for brick and mortar, for some products they still make sense. I like to be able to try on clothes before I buy, especially shoes. Same goes for motorcycle gear (gloves, boots, jackets, pants) which I buy some of every few years. I'll go to a large retailer and shop there. In some cases I'll buy from them, in other cases I'll buy online later. When a helmet retails for near $500 but I can buy it online for under $400 that's a huge difference.