[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats trade C Jones to Cards

Big John

Pats exercised the $7,800,000 5th year option on Jones last week.

Cards are leasing him for one year at that price and gave up an underachieving average guard and a late 2nd rounder. WHo knows? Maybe they can work out a multi year deal with Jones, who is an excellent player.

Pats get a mediocre guard, one who has never played to expectations and a late 2nd. But they also get something for Jones who was likely to walk after 2016. This is the way the Pats do things (Seymour) when they know they won't pay the player at the end of the contract. They could have kept him and paid him the $7.8 million and then got nada for him at the end of 2016.

It's not as dumb on the Pats' part as it might first appear (and I hate that team fiercely).

Edited by Dcat

Jones wears down as the season goes...smallish and stats get inflated with a few good games and others in which he disappears.

AZ will be better though...NE won't miss a beat.

this

one tackle in the afc title game....I don't wanna bag on the guy....but someone is going to overpay him soon.....pats need to have hightower, Collins and butler on the team more than they need chandler jones

they also drafted a couple of guys last year in geneo grissom and trey flowers that are hopefully ready to step up in year two a little bit with some more responsibility....signed chris long to a one year deal and they still have sheard

add all this up with the jones family history and it makes sense....two 2nd rounders and they may be able to move up into the first if they want to.....they have a lot of areas where they could use guys and the pats usually like to look a year or so ahead for potential needs but I wouldn't mind seeing them land Braxton miller

this

one tackle in the afc title game....I don't wanna bag on the guy....but someone is going to overpay him soon.....pats need to have hightower, Collins and butler on the team more than they need chandler jones

they also drafted a couple of guys last year in geneo grissom and trey flowers that are hopefully ready to step up in year two a little bit with some more responsibility....signed chris long to a one year deal and they still have sheard

add all this up with the jones family history and it makes sense....two 2nd rounders and they may be able to move up into the first if they want to.....they have a lot of areas where they could use guys and the pats usually like to look a year or so ahead for potential needs but I wouldn't mind seeing them land Braxton miller

I agree with everything else you said, but this part is very difficult to do. As per the punsihment Kraft stupidly agreed to, they are not allowed to have a first round pick higher than where they would have chosen, 29. So I suppose they could trade for the 30-32, but more likely they would trade for an early 2nd if they do move up.

this

I agree with everything else you said, but this part is very difficult to do. As per the punsihment Kraft stupidly agreed to, they are not allowed to have a first round pick higher than where they would have chosen, 29. So I suppose they could trade for the 30-32, but more likely they would trade for an early 2nd if they do move up.

ya...I mean...I basically consider those late first/early 2nd rounders the same thing as far as value...so ya....but id like to see them land Braxton miller

And all those IDP players who own him start to cry. That LB tag is going to hurt a lot of guys DE depth.

If that's what they do with him, it sure will. I'm not sure they will though, he doesn't seem to be a "play in space" kind of option to me.