[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keeper Rules Question

I'm thinking about starting a keeper league but was curious about the standard keeper rules out there. Right now I'm planning on letting everyone have 3 keepers two rounds above their previous draft spot based on the Fantasy Footballers podcast suggestion. What I'm curious about is two-fold:

1) Do most leagues let them keep players at that same spot every year or does it go up another two spots the next year? I'm assuming the latter.

2) What about 1st and 2nd rounders? Should they be kept for a 1st round pick or not allowed to be kept at all? After a discussion with some of the guys who will be in my league, we were thinking keep 2nd rounders for a 1st but no one can keep 1st rounders.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

1) i don't know what most leagues do, but i prefer moving up 2 rounds, it forces more turnover of players imo

2) in the above case, 1st and 2nd round players can not be kept, thus putting top level talent back into the draft, a few gems will still be drafted in later rounds but by moving their compensation up 2 rounds per year, players eventually become 1st and 2nd round keepers forcing them back into the pool the following year.

You may also want a rule that limits how long a player can be kept for, ie 4 yrs? (and if that is regardless of being traded or held by the same owner)

I'm thinking about starting a keeper league but was curious about the standard keeper rules out there. Right now I'm planning on letting everyone have 3 keepers two rounds above their previous draft spot based on the Fantasy Footballers podcast suggestion. What I'm curious about is two-fold:

1) Do most leagues let them keep players at that same spot every year or does it go up another two spots the next year? I'm assuming the latter.

2) What about 1st and 2nd rounders? Should they be kept for a 1st round pick or not allowed to be kept at all? After a discussion with some of the guys who will be in my league, we were thinking keep 2nd rounders for a 1st but no one can keep 1st rounders.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

We do 3 keepers as well in an 18 round draft.

1. Keepers escalate 3 rounds each year from where they were first drafted (if kept; if not kept and redrafted at any point it starts over with the new draft spot.)

2. Only 1 keeper spot can be from the draft picks made in rounds 1-4. This is considered your franchise keeper and cost your 1st round draft pick. If kept in subsequent years, he will continue to cost the 1st round pick.

Keeper Examples:

D. Carr - 15th round pick, keeper round 12

A. Cooper - 5th round pick, keeper round 2

Julio Jones - 1st round pick, keeper round 1

• 3 months later...

We have a 12 team, 3 keeper league. Here is what we do, and I like it this way. If you draft someone in later rounds, I dont like being almost penalized for it by keppers costing me 3 whole rds higher than I drafted. So I like smart owners getting rewarded with drafting smart in late rounds.

1) Drafted players will cost you 1 rd higher than you drafted them, and it moves up 1 rd each year you keep them.

2) A player drafted in rd 1 or 2 will cost you a 1st rd pick the following year. You dont have 2 numbers 1 picks, so obviously you cant keep a 1st ad 2nd rd pick from the previous draft.

3) You can keep any 3 players, and if 1 is a 1st rounder, it costs you your 1st the following year

4) no limits on how long you can keep a player. If I drafted someone in rd 7 and he is Antonio Brown (as a rookie) then I just landed a stud for the next 8 years. My good drafting should be rewarded IMO.