[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you're a fan of Peyton, you will want to watch this

Lloyd Dobler

Why is peyton manning working so hard to control his image right now? Bet he did that commercial for free.

I'm not a Peyton hater, I'm indifferent towards him, but the idea of someone watching that commercial and being like "Oh Peyton, you are the best! You have such character!" What's the point? Didn't he just decline working in the media? Like why is he trying so hard to do seemingly nothing?

I read once that his wife is part owner of an NBA team

Did not know that, search showed the team is the Memphis Grizzlies, couldn't determine for sure if the Manning's were part owner.

I thought the Gatorade ad was cool, and showed how many people respected Peyton for many things he did. As for why he is trying to control his image, why not, it is worth millions, maybe billions. If he doesn't want to coach, work in the front office or be a broadcaster (now or ever) that is his choice. If he wants to buy a team, again his choice.

Why are people trying to harp on his decisions, just because they don't agree with them, or have some dislike for Peyton? (referring to Pun the non hater but indifferent on Peyton).

• Like 1

I thought the Gatorade ad was cool, and showed how many people respected Peyton for many things he did. As for why he is trying to control his image, why not, it is worth millions, maybe billions. If he doesn't want to coach, work in the front office or be a broadcaster (now or ever) that is his choice. If he wants to buy a team, again his choice.

Why are people trying to harp on his decisions, just because they don't agree with them, or have some dislike for Peyton? (referring to Pun the non hater but indifferent on Peyton).

I mean, I don't think I'm breaking any news here if I say this may have something to do with his scandals that have resurfaced a bit recently. I really don't dislike him. People make mistakes, it's whatever, who am I to judge? I'm not gonna harp over something that happened two decades ago when he was a college kid, or whether or not he took some chemical that many other successful athletes have probably gotten away with taking and we just don't know.

To me, when I watch this ad, and other parts of his PR campaign (this isn't the only part), it feels manipulative and strategic, trying to make us see him the way he wants us to see him... ngl, that does bother me a little bit. Not a lot, but still.

If you think this is just a well-meaning ad and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/27/10669496/peyton-manning-hired-ari-fleischer-to-help-with-pr-and-now-were

If you think I'm the only one who finds it... questionable, at the very least: http://www.esquire.com/sports/videos/a44429/gatorade-peyton-manning-letters-commercial/

All that being said, I rooted for Peyton in the super bowl. Pointing this out doesn't mean I hate the guy. I don't really care. The commercial leaves a bad taste in my mouth though, can't lie. Not to mention, I think it's a huge mistake. His image is fine and if you want it to stay that way, just go home and stay out of the headlines.

Edited by pun
  • Like 1

I mean, I don't think I'm breaking any news here if I say this may have something to do with his scandals that have resurfaced a bit recently. I really don't dislike him. People make mistakes, it's whatever, who am I to judge? I'm not gonna harp over something that happened two decades ago when he was a college kid, or whether or not he took some chemical that many other successful athletes have probably gotten away with taking and we just don't know.

To me, when I watch this ad, and other parts of his PR campaign (this isn't the only part), it feels manipulative and strategic, trying to make us see him the way he wants us to see him... ngl, that does bother me a little bit. Not a lot, but still.

If you think this is just a well-meaning ad and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/12/27/10669496/peyton-manning-hired-ari-fleischer-to-help-with-pr-and-now-were

If you think I'm the only one who finds it... questionable, at the very least: http://www.esquire.com/sports/videos/a44429/gatorade-peyton-manning-letters-commercial/

All that being said, I rooted for Peyton in the super bowl. Pointing this out doesn't mean I hate the guy. I don't really care. The commercial leaves a bad taste in my mouth though, can't lie. Not to mention, I think it's a huge mistake. His image is fine and if you want it to stay that way, just go home and stay out of the headlines.

After hearing of all the great things Manning did behind the scenes, I don't really care if it was him or a PR company or Gatorade that came up with the commercials. He was an all time great and they are giving him a good send off. If you want to go down rabbit holes about it, feel free. Everyone has time to waste somehow right?

I for one am just going to enjoy the many good things he did, and the fact that I got to watch him play. I'll take him over Cam or Brady any day.

• Like 2

I simply don't care who wants to make a big deal out of it and turn it into a "I hate Peyton" or "this is just some bogus PR to distract us about his recent troubles" campaign. Just because some sites have stories about this and people are harping on it doesn't mean I need to care about their views. I live in a sports market where people are whining about a team poised to reach the NBA finals, possibly without losing a game. I've learned to ignore lots of negativity.

Aren't commercials, by design, a PR function?

For sure, not many are designed to advertise a single person though. I can't think of a single other example, other than political campaign ads I guess....

I simply don't care who wants to make a big deal out of it and turn it into a "I hate Peyton" or "this is just some bogus PR to distract us about his recent troubles" campaign. Just because some sites have stories about this and people are harping on it doesn't mean I need to care about their views.

So... you're posting to inform us that you don't care? You don't need to care about anything man.

tbh, the reason I care about this has little to do w/ Peyton - there's a strong tendency in the NFL and our broader culture to view people in this binary manner as heroes or villains, with no (or little) grey area inbetween. But it's particularly strong with the NFL. I just wish people would stop thinking this way, demonizing certain people for their problems while being perfectly willing to overlook other people's problems. I just thought this is a good example and was worth pointing out. The fact that some people don't even want to hear it says a lot about how strong that tendency can be.

MorningMud is probably right though, this is probably too much of a rabbithole for this thread. Carry on. :)

Edited by pun

pun,

I've never been one to buy media BS and popular beliefs by people in black/white. I know and accept there is plenty of grey area. In Peyton I see a great athlete, one of the elite QBs to play the game. He carried a team without a lot of talent (various Colts squads) towards greatness with tons of regular season wins, but failed to win the big games many times (sometimes on him, others on the rest of the team).

As for his charachter and him as a person, most of what I have seen and heard it good. This reinforces it, so far as I'm concerned he's a good guy. Is he perfect no, do I care, not really. Am I offended that this commercial tries to make him look good, no why should I. But in the end, I really don't know him personally and don't care much if he's a nice guy or a complete jerk, it doesn't impact me in the least.

Maybe the issue is the tendency of some to think all others are lumped into some giant collective that watches this ad and proclaims "Peyton is a hero, never did a bad thing, I love him no matter what." People are just saying, look at all the good things people who've been involved with him had to say. I guess your issue is since it is a TV commercial that it is contrived and not real, compared to say people just posting testimonials on their own. And your post was basiclally "meh just a BS ad campaign meant to repair his tarnished image".

It's a Gatorade commercial, Manning has been a spokesman/client of theirs for years (can probably say decades now), he has retired...it's a send off to one of their mainstays. I think the skepticism is better aimed at political ads; their lies, perceived or true, are far more impactful than a sugary sports drink commercial

• Like 2

this is probably too much of a rabbithole

yes

It's a Gatorade commercial, Manning has been a spokesman/client of theirs for years (can probably say decades now), he has retired...it's a send off to one of their mainstays.

and yes