[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner Making League Fun

Lukester2181

Any Commissioners out there? What have you done to spice up your league? I am just looking for additional ideas. I post a weekly Commissioner Report where I blast other managers for their poor decisions and give props to great decisions made by managers. I have a quotes of the week section where I put quotes managers have made throughout the week in our smack talk board. I have also just this year created a YouTube show that covers the league. I have had two episodes The Pilot and The Summit which covered the League Summit we just had. The video is raw and just shot with my cellphone, but I think it is pretty entertaining. Check out the videos below and let me know what you think. I love to hear any additional ideas that anyone has of how to spice up a league!

Peanut League Season 1 Episode #1 Pilot:

Peanut League Season 2 Episode #2 The Summit:

Have a great day!

Nothing cool like that we just have a draft get together and then play out the season. I'm not into all the trash talking and similar stuff that attract some to the hobby.

Agreed, nothing fancy needed. Being a fair, attentive, available commissioner that pays out on time is all any league should need. Anything more then that should be provided by the community of players, and not the commissioner alone.

• Like 1

Nothing too out of the ordinary. Person that places last has to pay for the plaque of the winner on our league's trophy though. Always gives incentive to play the season through so you don't have to pay that extra fee.

Week 3, 7 and 11 are rivalry weeks

Whoever wins in those weeks gets to name their opponents team for the next week

We started a Groupme for the league too which is better than the regular smackboards on the websites

• Like 1

I am going to suggest this in a redraft league I'm commishing this upcoming year:

Entry fee is $50, but owners can add - in $5 increments - the ability to get a better draft pick. We'll do the draft order selection by random "ping pong ball" style selection.... so, everyone starts with one "ball"... first ball drawn would have the chance to pick their draft slot..... next ball drawn would get the next choice... etc.

If folks wanted 5 balls, they'd pay $5 each for extras. So an extra $20 into the pot. Could mean a little more in the kitty, could mean nothing, but could make the draft order process a bit more fun.

Any Commissioners out there? What have you done to spice up your league? I am just looking for additional ideas. I post a weekly Commissioner Report where I blast other managers for their poor decisions and give props to great decisions made by managers. I have a quotes of the week section where I put quotes managers have made throughout the week in our smack talk board. I have also just this year created a YouTube show that covers the league. I have had two episodes The Pilot and The Summit which covered the League Summit we just had. The video is raw and just shot with my cellphone, but I think it is pretty entertaining. Check out the videos below and let me know what you think. I love to hear any additional ideas that anyone has of how to spice up a league!

Peanut League Season 1 Episode #1 Pilot:

Peanut League Season 2 Episode #2 The Summit:

Have a great day!

Hey man,

For fantasy purposes- I love the idea you are doing with the YouTube videos. Great touch! I actually thought they were pretty good, even though like you said it is pretty raw, unedited, and shot with your cellphone, I would love to be in your league just because of the commitment you put forth with just the videos. Please post more links to them as you film more.

Thanks for the kind words! The members of the league love the video idea. I just implemented it this year and plan on doing it from this year on. The next show is going to be released on August 19th. It is going to be our "Keeper" show.

I am having everyone snail mail me their keepers this year. In the show I am going to go through each team's final lineups and predict who their keepers are going to be. I created a power point with each teams final roster. After my predictions I am going to open the envelope and read off the keepers for that team. Once that is done I am going to predict each teams first round pick based on the keeper they selected. I am having three other managers from the league join me in "studio" that way each of us will be assigned 2-3 teams to cover. It should be pretty epic. I am looking forward to how it turns out.

Since this is a keeper league, I am also going to live stream from YouTube- it will be a keeper reveal show. League managers will be required to mail me their keepers in a sealed envelope. Myself and three other managers will host a keeper reveal show. We will each be assigned to two-three different teams. We will project the team's final roster onto a wall with a projector and make a prediction of the keepers we think that team will keep. Once the predictions are made, we will officially reveal the keepers on the live stream as well as predict the first round of the draft based on the keepers that were selected.

I am going to suggest this in a redraft league I'm commishing this upcoming year:

Entry fee is $50, but owners can add - in $5 increments - the ability to get a better draft pick. We'll do the draft order selection by random "ping pong ball" style selection.... so, everyone starts with one "ball"... first ball drawn would have the chance to pick their draft slot..... next ball drawn would get the next choice... etc.

If folks wanted 5 balls, they'd pay $5 each for extras. So an extra $20 into the pot. Could mean a little more in the kitty, could mean nothing, but could make the draft order process a bit more fun.

Interesting idea, curious to hear how it goes over. I know in our league some would complain that some guys make great money and could afford the extra chances no problem. (But then we're a keeper league and draft order is reverse of standings, straight draft.) I know, cue the "do auction drafts they're the most fair".

MIght need to consider a cap on extra balls that can be bought.

Interesting idea, curious to hear how it goes over. I know in our league some would complain that some guys make great money and could afford the extra chances no problem. (But then we're a keeper league and draft order is reverse of standings, straight draft.) I know, cue the "do auction drafts they're the most fair".

MIght need to consider a cap on extra balls that can be bought.

Yeah, forgot to add that caveat. It would probably be a 4 or 5 ball max. Some people (like me) don't give a rat's arse where they draft, other people really do.

Instead of having the draft order dependent on the consolation bracket (winner gets fist pick), we are also going to implement a draft lottery. I am going to build a make shift draft lottery machine (two boxes taped together, a five gallon water jug, and my wet vac). The winner of the consolation bracket will get a certain % chance (still to be determined by the league) to win the draft. We will use 4 ping pong balls (24 different combinations) each team will be given the appropriate number of combinations based on where they finished.

We do "The Joey". 20 plus years running. The team with the lowest total score for the week has to put an extra 10 spot into the pool of money. We voted to change that this year to 20 bones. It has really helped with keeping teams active all the way through the season. Nobody wants to be the joey. If there is a tie, both teams put in. Happens a few times a year. Adds some extra dough into the pot and makes for some great gameday trash talking.

• Like 3

We do "The Joey". 20 plus years running. The team with the lowest total score for the week has to put an extra 10 spot into the pool of money. We voted to change that this year to 20 bones. It has really helped with keeping teams active all the way through the season. Nobody wants to be the joey. If there is a tie, both teams put in. Happens a few times a year. Adds some extra dough into the pot and makes for some great gameday trash talking.

Love this idea. I can definitely see this making more managers active and paying attention to their lineups week in and week out. Nobody can complain about an extra $130 into the pot either. Thanks for sharing!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words! The members of the league love the video idea. I just implemented it this year and plan on doing it from this year on. The next show is going to be released on August 19th. It is going to be our "Keeper" show.

I am having everyone snail mail me their keepers this year. In the show I am going to go through each team's final lineups and predict who their keepers are going to be. I created a power point with each teams final roster. After my predictions I am going to open the envelope and read off the keepers for that team. Once that is done I am going to predict each teams first round pick based on the keeper they selected. I am having three other managers from the league join me in "studio" that way each of us will be assigned 2-3 teams to cover. It should be pretty epic. I am looking forward to how it turns out.

I really like the sound of this Luke! Running a league can be time consuming in itself but taking on this is a step above and beyond! Well done to you and it sounds like the league appreciates it!

I really like the sound of this Luke! Running a league can be time consuming in itself but taking on this is a step above and beyond! Well done to you and it sounds like the league appreciates it!

I appreciate it! Thanks! Everyone jokes around that it is my second job. Anyone interested here is the link to Episode #3- "Who Is Who"

Enjoy!