[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty Free Agency: Open Bidding vs. Blind Bidding

electricrelish

I started playing dynasty football in 2009 in the BoTH league Live and Let Dy. They copied their rules from another league. Since then this league has had three additional spinoff BoTH leagues using the majority of the same rulebook have come about. In a nutshell, it's a 16-team league with 20-player rosters, 7-player taxi squad and a 50-year contract cap.

In these four leagues, owners are required to bid on both free agents (FA) and restricted free agents (RFA) by posting a bid in the forum. Other owners can then raise the bid within 24 hours (in-season) and 48 hours (offseason). The clock resets itself every time there is a new bid. The auction ends once no other bids are made after the clock runs out. All owners can see how much money other owners have.

Obviously if you bid on someone has never heard of, you have just alerted everyone about this player; so they can now google that player, etc.

The whole concept of open FA bidding is a different strategy all together then blind bidding. Benefits that come to mind are the following:

Pros

• More league interaction. More forum posts and more conversations occur.
  • Bidding is a more serious decision as when you open a bid you are letting everyone know someone you covet.
  • You may spend less on a FA than you would in Blind Bidding because no else is as interested as you are in a specific player.
  • You can block other folks from obtaining players - this can be an advantage or disadvantage.

Cons

• No sleepers - once you open a bid on player that other owners may have never heard of; you've suddenly alerted them to who they are.
  • You can be blocked from a player that you would have otherwise gotten simply by them raising the bid amount to an amount that they know you can't afford. Granted, this all depends whether they have roster room, contract space and money to do this block; so it's not as simple as it sounds in dynasty and happens far less than you would think.
  • If you are in multiple leagues with the same owners, you can see what the same owners bid on certain players which may help you gauge their value.

I am now rethinking whether open bidding is a good idea for forming a new league. Yes, it encourages interaction which I think is important because without the FA bids throughout the season, you really lose touch with the other owners. The forum would become barren of new posts.

QUESTIONS:

1. I play in one other non-BoTH dynasty league that uses the same open FA bidding method via forum posts. Are there other dynasty leagues here that also use this format?
  2. If you do use this open FA bidding method, what are some other benefits that I may have overlooked?
Edited by electricrelish

Another Pro - sometimes you save money in FA. You may have bid more in blind bidding only to find out no one was interested in that guy. Maybe you would have blind bid $15 and you win him for $3. I have seen with $1,000 BB budgets teams win players for $400+ and the next high bid is under $100.

Another Con - someone just may bid you up because they think they know they can. They may not want the player but know you want him so they bid it up.

• Like 1

My dynasty league switched to blind bidding a couple years ago and of all the pros and cons, the biggest pro is the time saved. Open bidding can take forever, you're sitting around waiting on people to bid and it can get pretty annoying pretty fast. Blind bidding, you submit your bids, wake up and check to see who you got and you're done.